Shuffleboard on HAL Ships

NSAHO79

I am considering booking a cruise on one of the newer HAL ships like Eurodam or Amsterdam. I cannot find any information as to whether they have shuffleboard courts on the ships. It seems they only have a basketball court and table tennis. Seems most activities are indoors. Any info would be great.

Shuffleboards are outdoors on Panorama deck aft. I personally cannot say Those two ships have them for sure but probably someone can verify this. I do remember teens playing there in the last two yrs. The implements are hanging on a nearby wall. I sometimes wondered where the pucks(?) were but I guess you ask the staff. This game doesn't seem popular anymore but certainly easy for all to play.

Shuffleboards are outdoors on Panorama deck aft. I personally cannot say Those two ships have them for sure but probably someone can verify this. I do remember teens playing there in the last two yrs. The implements are hanging on a nearby wall. I sometimes wondered where the pucks(?) were but I guess you ask the staff. This game doesn't seem popular anymore but certainly easy for all to play.

The pucks are in a box by the poles. BTW, we played shuffleboard on Eurodam once and were interested in the "real rules" so we googled them. The official shuffleboard rules are very precise and surprisingly complicated! We just played "our way"

Yes, there are shuffleboard courts on HAL ships, as others have said...

But I would like to add that I was very impressed with the courts on NCL Jade, which we were on last fall. Her courts had a nice smooth surface, there was a cabinet next to the courts for the poles and disks and a way to keep score, even simplified rules posted! The NCL courts were popular and almost always in use because they were well kept and available. It was fun to watch the play for a minute or two as we walked by and so nice to see them in use. They were on Jade's promenade deck, two courts on one side. There was plenty of room for walkers to walk around them without interfering.

Maybe HALs newer ships will have better facilities? And HAL could upgrade their maintenance especially on the older ships. I can't believe it's a money issue, this is pretty darn cheap stuff, they just have to care. To paraphrase... If they take care of them and make the equipment available, the courts WILL get used, and by people of all ages. m--

• 7 months later...
All HAL ships have shuffleboard somewhere on board.

Not Veendam. :(

We were unpleasantly surprised and could not believe that classic ship wouldn't have such a classic feature.

Not Veendam. :(

We were unpleasantly surprised and could not believe that classic ship wouldn't have such a classic feature.

Could you have just missed it? There are innumerable websites referring to shuffleboard aboard the Veendam, including this one with a photo:

http://www.beyondships.com/HAL-Veendam-Tour2.html

No. We asked staff for it several times. They said there was no. unfortunately.

Info on beyond the ships is also old.

Retreat looks completely different and there is no big screen.

Edited by Tatka

No. We asked staff for it several times. They said there was no. unfortunately.

Info on beyond the ships is also old.

Retreat looks completely different and there is no big screen.

I'm surprised that it was removed. I wonder if the decking had to be replaced and they just never bothered repainting the court.

On the Maasdam they had the sticks but no markings on the deck. I did wonder about it.

Allan

Noordam in September had a "portable" court set up on the starboard side. Pucks slid MUCH more easily on this surface than they did on the "permanent" court on the port side.

On the Maasdam they had the sticks but no markings on the deck. I did wonder about it.

Allan

There were shuffleboard markings on Maasdam when I was on in June. But I couldn't find the pucks. We really wanted to play at least once to check that off the cruise experiences list. Ah well.

I realize you are referring to the game played on the ground with ?sticks?, but Veendam does have Dutch Shuffleboard in the atrium.

Really? I wonder why we did not see it and front desk did not point this out.

Oh well.

Thank you

Is there a way to spray a silicon or grease spray on the playing area.

I always look at the surface which is so rough, and imagine folks dislocating a shoulder trying to shove a puck across a rough deck surface.

I'd hazard a guess that there would be a far greater risk of serious injuries with a greased or silicone sprayed deck.