Just returned from Crown Princess 7 Day California Coastal. Photos.

WehoAtlantis

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to add a further thanks to you. I so appreciate the time you are taking to personally answer mine and all the other individual questions.

Did you really use your phone to take all of these pictures? What phone do you have/

Carole

Thanks Carole!

I used the iPhone 6 plus. I just wish I was a little more detailed on getting all the patters, drink menus, pool decks etc.

Oh well, I'll remember to on our next cruise. Currently looking.

--Mike

I too enjoyed your cruise pictures. You mentioned that Salty Dog has taken over so much of the space from the Wheelhouse Bar. This is a shame. The Wheelhouse Bar was my favorite hang out. From everything I've been reading on the forum, it seems that both Salty Dog & SHARE aren't the success Princess was hoping for. As for SHARE, I can say that from pictures I've seen, this has to be the UGLIEST public room on a ship I've ever seen ! I hope that whoever made the decision to green light this project has been fully relived from any further responsibilities at Princess, lol.

I too enjoyed your cruise pictures. You mentioned that Salty Dog has taken over so much of the space from the Wheelhouse Bar. This is a shame. The Wheelhouse Bar was my favorite hang out. From everything I've been reading on the forum, it seems that both Salty Dog & SHARE aren't the success Princess was hoping for. As for SHARE, I can say that from pictures I've seen, this has to be the UGLIEST public room on a ship I've ever seen ! I hope that whoever made the decision to green light this project has been fully relived from any further responsibilities at Princess, lol.

Hi Myrtle Ave. Mayhem,

First of all, great username!

I think it just boils down to people not wanting to spend $19.00 per person to eat there. I really did want to try the Poutine and Lobster mac n cheese. But we were spending our money on many other things. Thirty eight bucks seems a little steep with so many other dining options. Especially if you plan on dining in Sabatini's or Crown Grill.

--Mike

WehoAtlantis,

Thanks for the wonderful pics of your trip. So detailed and you seem to have covered everything. We sailed on the Crown many years ago (before they added another deck) and read that they did a minor dry dock in 2011. We are contemplating a trip on the Crown in spring 2017 with my sister and BIL which will be their introduction to cruising. I am a little concerned at some of the reviews I have read about the condition of the ship, staff not up to Princess standards and, some said, its tired, shabby condition. I would like them to have a wonderful first trip and wonder if I am worrying for nothing. What do you think?

WehoAtlantis,

Thanks for the wonderful pics of your trip. So detailed and you seem to have covered everything. We sailed on the Crown many years ago (before they added another deck) and read that they did a minor dry dock in 2011. We are contemplating a trip on the Crown in spring 2017 with my sister and BIL which will be their introduction to cruising. I am a little concerned at some of the reviews I have read about the condition of the ship, staff not up to Princess standards and, some said, its tired, shabby condition. I would like them to have a wonderful first trip and wonder if I am worrying for nothing. What do you think?

Hi colonialinnkeeper,

It was my first time on Crown but not my first princess cruise. I found that the staff was professional and up to the standards. I thought the ship condition was just fine. We really had a great time and so did everyone else we met. It is all relative, but some people are just nit picky and look for flaws. I'm been around the block with cruising and you have nothing to worry about.

Plus any bad apples probably won't have a renewed contract by the time you sail!

--Mike

Edited by WehoAtlantis

We sailed on the Crown many years ago (before they added another deck) and read that they did a minor dry dock in 2011. We are contemplating a trip on the Crown in spring 2017 with my sister and BIL which will be their introduction to cruising. I am a little concerned at some of the reviews I have read about the condition of the ship, staff not up to Princess standards and, some said, its tired, shabby condition. I would like them to have a wonderful first trip and wonder if I am worrying for nothing. What do you think?

We've sailed the Crown several times & most recently in October and the crew & ship were great! Soon we'll sail on the Crown for another CA Coastal so that's how much we enjoy the ship & her crew & I think you're "worrying for nothing". :D

I've read negative reviews on every ship & my experience is that those who are unhappy will post the most. I take reviews with a grain of salt having read reviews from passengers on the same cruise as us who post it was terrible. Each passenger can have different experiences but to generalize things such as "tired, shabby condition" or "staff is not up to Princess standards" are exaggerations. All of my cruises have been "good" and maybe sometimes they are slightly better. ;)

I believe that the Crown was built with an extra deck (Riviera) which earlier Grand-class ships did not have on them. Could you be referring to the original Crown Princess (1990-2002)?

Edited by Astro Flyer

Mike,

I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to thank you sooner for your response to my question about Crooners! I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get on here much!

Anyway, I do appreciate your reply as well as the time you took to post the pictures and help so many of us. I plan to go back and look at all of them again. We're leaving in just 3 short weeks!

Marilyn :)

Edited by Mare10

Mike,

I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to thank you sooner for your response to my question about Crooners! I've been busy and haven't had a chance to get on here much!

Anyway, I do appreciate your reply as well as the time you took to post the pictures and help so many of us. I plan to go back and look at all of them again. We're leaving in just 3 short weeks!

Marilyn :)

Marilyn,

Please take pics and let me know if you try The Salty Dog in Wheelhouse. I would love to hear about it since we skipped it.

--Mike

Were there any issues with the trolley in Santa Barbara if you do it on your own?

Thank you,

Carole

There is a trolley bus in SB, very inexpensive. It does a circuit through downtown and I think it goes to (or close to) the mission. Cost IIRC was $1.00pp or 25 cents for seniors. If you hop on & off, you pay each time.

There is also a HOHO trolley, but I don't recommend it. It doesn't start running until 11 or 12 and the stops are very hard to find. We bought tickets last time we were there and didn't use them. Couldn't find the stop until it was almost time to go back to the ship. The tickets are non-refundable, but are good until you actually use them.