Family left behind

This is the BEST thread I have seen in CC ever! After reading that story, now I bring the embassy phone number and address, and the instructions for collect calls for each country where the ship stops. Along with the port agent contact from the Compass.

Sorry to hear the family was left, we always arrive back at the ship 2 hours before departure. We judge our time in Port and book tours lasting no more then 3 to 4 hours.We have booked longer ones but not often. It is very important to have a phone, credit card and extra cash with you.

Sorry to hear the family was left, we always arrive back at the ship 2 hours before departure. We judge our time in Port and book tours lasting no more then 3 to 4 hours.We have booked longer ones but not often. It is very important to have a phone, credit card and extra cash with you.

Two hours is very conservative. I bet you don't cut the tag off your mattress either :-)

Funny that it only took an hour and a half to get a passport. Wonder how they verify who you are?

Some people here like to say that you will be trapped and spend days upon days trying to get a passport. No doubt it would have been easier to just book a flight and leave had he had a passport but definitely not the horror story some like to give when people ask if it is ok to travel without one. And I'm not dismissing how scary it must have been, only that it appears easier then some would like people to believe to obtain a passport in an emergency situation.

Edited by BeachChik

On my very first cruise, aboard NCL's Skyward, there was a guy (Roger, I believe his name was) who missed the ship in Cancun. Lucky for him the next stop was Cozumel. Roger somehow got a taxi driver to take him to Playa Del Carmen. Got into quite a row with the driver because all he had was $10 in his pocket. Even in 1984 that would barely cover the gas for the round trip.

The poor guy then had to hang around the ferry pier until he recognized a group from the ship, and had to bum the fare from someone just to get back to the ship!

Of course, after that he was the butt of the Cruise Directors (Bruce) jokes for the rest of the week. Before leaving Key West and Great Stirrup Cay, Bruce would get on the PA and say "Can someone please verify that Roger is on board."

After seeing that happen, I got smart real quick and have always made sure there is plenty of cushion when returning to the ship.

RCI's port agent will assist with the logistics of making arrangements. The port agents information will be published in the daily Compass on the day of the port of call. All costs are the responsibility of the traveler though; another important reason to have trip insurance.

Does it cover you if the "Trip Interruption" is your own fault ?

(I've read the small print but don't remember if that was covered in the typical policy).

We do very much the same, basically because I can't stand tours of more than 4 hours max.

Two hours is very conservative. I bet you don't cut the tag off your mattress either :-)
Nope, don't because in order to get any furniture like mattresses or couches recycled in this country it must have the original labels on it to prove it is fire retardant otherwise it will not be collected.

I've always been curious about the going into the cabin to retrieve the late passengers' belongings. (Not late as in deceased.)

At what point would they do that? How often would the purser, security or whomever be in the act of going into the safe it packing belongings when the pax come flying up the gangway. I've seen crew standing there looking up the wharf, talking to each other like "where are they?".

Is someone already grabbing their stuff? I did once see luggage come off and sit there, so I guess that was a case if it being left with the port agent. It just seems like the timing of when to pull the plug and retrieve belongings would be really tricky. I just hope I don't ever get to be the one to test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We left two behind in San Juan. All they had were their new belongings in shopping bags, the clothes they were wearing and the passports that were handed to them by the gate agent. It was a long cold trip back to Canada in February in sundresses and sandals. And then they had to pay to get their suitcases shipped.

It happens on every ship and every port. We like to watch the "runners" as we call them. One time a family got a tugboat to bring them to the ship. If you are on a RCCL tour they wait for you. One time in the DR, we were on a RCCL that was to take 2-3 hours. It took 6 hours because it poured. A electric pole came down in front of our bus and it took time for the buses to move. That time the ship waited because 300 people were not back at sail away time. We also had to be tendered in so there was water about a foot high in the tenders.

Every one got back eventually.

I try my best to get back to the ship with a 2 hour buffer, but that is always not possible if you are on a tour. I was a little nervous at first the last time I was in Europe as we did private tours with other CC members. It all worked out perfectly though as the companies we did business with are reputable companies that are used to working with cruise ship passengers and know exactly when you need to be back on the ship and will tailor your tour to make sure you have plenty of time. Kusadasi was the only city that we cut it close because we wanted to do a little shopping after the tour and didn't have a lot of time to do so. The shopping area was pretty much right at the port so we knew it wouldn't take long to get to the ship.

When I do get back on the ship one of my favorite things to do is watch the runners. I just hope one day I'm not the runner that everyone else on the ship is watching and cheering!

If you are on a US trip you can take your passport with you. But if on a International Cruise you will not have your passport as Royal collects them and holds them throughout the cruise. Your passport is returned at the end of the cruise with all required port stamps in it. So in those cases Royal can and does leave with port agents.

For US Cruises they will leave if they can find them in your cabin. As for costs 100% on the passenger. Some have asked why can't the ship wait or stop for those they see on the docks? Once the ship is untied and under power it cannot return, it could be consider to be another port call. Also if passengers knew the ship would wait they would be late and no ships would ever be able to depart.

The rule is simple be on time getting back which means be early....

So having the port agent number would be helpful how? To make sure you get your stuff or to beg them to wait for them?

I have read of folks being able to get the port agent to rent a small boat and catch up to the ship if it has just left.

I have read of folks being able to get the port agent to rent a small boat and catch up to the ship if it has just left.

I would be surprised and shock if a Royal Captain allowed a small boat to approach and transfer passengers. It is very complicated to do this, yes the harbor pilots are put on and off ships but they are professional with years of experience.

From a liability standpoint it would seem to be grounds to remove a captain.

I think one of the reasons that people miss the ship, besides the obvious traffic delays and alcohol fog, is the confusion between shop time and local time. If ship stays on Eastern time and you are in Cozumel, you could be an hour late if you are looking at clocks or your phone vs. your watch.