Personal Property Value Declaration form

99% of cruisers don't fill this out.

It's a customs form where you write the model and serial number of your electronics and have a customs official witness and sign.

Then, when you return from travel out of the country, these forms prove that you owned or had possession of these items before you departed the US.

Thereby not having to pay customs and duty on these items.

I've never run into this problem when returning from a cruise.

I have been asked to provide proof of ownership when bringing high value items back to the US. Once when returning from a business trip to Japan and once when driving back across the border from Canada?

I once asked a customs official about high value jewelry. He said that pictures would be his recommendation.

Edited by klfrodo

Even if something is considered a high value item, it would only come into question if customs thought you purchased it while in another country. I read somewhere once that some professional photographers report their equipment before they leave.

If you are bringing costly camera equipment or perhaps lots of pricey jewelry, or the like, you may wish to put the receipts in your bag to show you purchased them prior to leaving the country..... just in case. I will say I have cleared International Customs coming into U.S. and a great many other countries for many years and have never once been asked about anything I was carrying that I owned prior to my trip but it can happen.

Thank you. I thought they were talking about everything in my suitcase. Geez. I have newbie printed clearly on my forehead.

What is silly is to not ask your questions.

We all were new travelers and new cruisers at one time.

Ask away...... :)

Even if something is considered a high value item, it would only come into question if customs thought you purchased it while in another country. I read somewhere once that some professional photographers report their equipment before they leave.

That would be the purpose of CBP Form 4457

Covers your butt when returning from abroad and they ask for proof that you didn't purchase that DLR, DLS camera with multiple lens, that Ipad, laptop, etc.

We have a similar form in Canada

we use it for Camera, laptop, DH pricey watch anything they may think we bought outside the Country

Just less hassle if you have proof you owned it before you left the Country

personal choice

I am another who makes a copy of the purchase receipt for camera, lens, etc. and then seal it in zip lock bag.

The plastic bag then goes into my Camera bag. Also, a copy for any other electronics that will go along with us on the cruise.

I have never been asked, but do want to be ready if asked about where I purchased the camera, etc.

Bob