New gratuities by May 1st, 2016

Ok,I called the DP desk @ C&A...........they are NOT sure yet how it is to interpreted..They are working on it and trying to get answers.They should know in a day or two.But she thinks it is probably like the past(just add them on before and pay at final),but couldn't say for sure.I'll call back Friday,if no one else has heard for sure by then..

Did you see this? It's from an email I got today and someone else also posted it:

We want to extend the opportunity to prepay your service charge now at the current rate, before it adjusts on April 14, 2016. After this date, any service charge applied will be at the new rate.

That's interesting I have always found the Celebrity boards much tamer than the RCCL boards.

We have done 21 Celebrity cruises and overall like the product, but they too have gone downhill from what they use to be.

There was a recent thread about Brilliance over on Celebrity. While it was tame, it was not very flattering. :o

For my piece of mind, I pick auto gratuities. I don't bother figuring out who gets what, nor do I worry about how much the employees make. I've got enough planning to worry about on the trip - and I used to stress about the envelopes - wanting to make sure I got money to the right people.

Interesting discussion by some of the posters here.

I am a bit confused as when I got to tips and reminders under my booking - this is what is posted

a. For the convenience of guests, pre-paid gratuities may be arranged online or added to your booking by your travel agent, before your sail date, at a daily rate of $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests).

However the email I received has them being $12.95 and increasing to $13.50. Considering for over a year my booking has specified that my gratuity is $12. For a 9 day sailing and 4 people that does add up just a little bit. That is another $54.

If you plan to spend the money anyway (gratuities) then floating the money is almost not a consideration at all since the interest you'd make is pretty minimal (cents) and it's not enough money to do any really good investing.

If you are counting on the funds to live in the mean time, that's a different situation of course.

I was having a conversation with my daughter last weekend and she was remarking (from previous conversations) that she knows it's not a good idea to get a tax refund because the government is keeping your money so you can't get interest. I told her, these days, the interest on her tax refund was less than $4/year. In that case, it's almost a good idea to use the IRS as a forced savings plan so you aren't tempted to spend the money until it's accumulated to some reasonable amount every year :)

Tom

Everyone else may elect to give the government as much interest free loan as they can handle, personally I am interested in paying my fair share. If I was into making loans my front door would say Bank on it. But since it doesn't...

I know I've been out of the game for a few years, but there is no way that one cabin steward, even with an assistant, could service 35 cabins. Just not in the realm of possibility and maintain USPH protocols.

That's what stewards are telling people, and that they are working 16-18 hours per day. I'm not buying it, but that's what they are selling. Carnival also is having a big push towards once a day cabin service. None of the math adds up.

I was having a conversation with my daughter last weekend and she was remarking (from previous conversations) that she knows it's not a good idea to get a tax refund because the government is keeping your money so you can't get interest. I told her, these days, the interest on her tax refund was less than $4/year. In that case, it's almost a good idea to use the IRS as a forced savings plan so you aren't tempted to spend the money until it's accumulated to some reasonable amount every year :)

Works for me :)

12661877_10205860191759601_42151957898503378_n.jpg?oh=6f922cfa1a65bb9722bacc9eb00718ec&oe=5781D241

hi to you all. we are first time cruisers my hubby and I went on P/O VENTURA on the 2/1/2016 to grand canary. we absolutely loved it. ref the tipping, well to be honest we chose to tip ourselves, we had a lovely cabin attendant and 2 lovely waiters in dining, and we certainly did not scrimp on the tipping. we gave our cabin attendant 100 euros because he so deserved it, but I do not like to be told how much I should tip. please do not think I am mean, far from it. if the staff got paid a decent wage, and sure enough the earn it, they would not be all this arguing over tipping. having said all that, and do not wish to offend anyone, we had the most pleasant time on VENTURA she was spotless, the meals were great, the staff were pleasant, we had a balcony,and was great to watch us come into ports. in fact I have been looking today to book a Caribbean for dec 2017, because it will be hubby and I 70th birthdays and our golden wedding all in the same week, so we thought it would be nice to celebrate out in the Caribbean. sorry for the long chat!!!

It goes like this- the OBC is deposited when you are onboard. So you can apply this OBC to your cruise account gratuities once on board.

If you want to prepay your gratuities then you can not use an onboard credit- because you are not onboard yet.

That's what stewards are telling people, and that they are working 16-18 hours per day. I'm not buying it, but that's what they are selling. Carnival also is having a big push towards once a day cabin service. None of the math adds up.

Again, 16-18 hours per day is in violation of the MLC, and any crew member who wants to get rich could contact the pond slime lawyer on his facebook page and have him drop a dime to the USCG, and the ships would be detained in a heartbeat. Heck, even Brazil, not known for its human rights record, has detained a cruise ship for work/rest hour violations and MLC problems.

I agree and I run mine as close as I can, but I was just saying that it doesn't matter as much as it used to since banks are pretty much doing interest free savings accounts. In fact, I heard that in the future banks may start charging you interest for them to store you money.

Tom

Everyone else may elect to give the government as much interest free loan as they can handle, personally I am interested in paying my fair share. If I was into making loans my front door would say Bank on it. But since it doesn't...

16 hours a day would give only eight free hours, eight hours isn't enough to eat and sleep.

I worked 12 hours a few times at YMCA, and I was very tired at the end.

The MCL mandates a minimum of 10 hours of rest in any 24 hours, and a minimum of 77 hours of rest in any 7 day period.

1. If you cannot afford the tips...STAY HOME, or drive to the KOA camp ground.

2. I know too many crew members, they GET THE TIPS, the company does not. l The employees get a tally on who paid and who did not.

3. Eating in the cafeteria or the Steakhouse....LEAVE the tips alone. They are shared by Stewards, asst Stewards, busboys, and anyone who serves. It is a COP OUT to "explain" the bogus reasoning for removing any tips.

4.Those that are TOO CHEAP to pay the tips, thanks! No wonder tips have gone up.

2. I know too many crew members, they GET THE TIPS, the company does not. l The employees get a tally on who paid and who did not.

3. Eating in the cafeteria or the Steakhouse....LEAVE the tips alone. They are shared by Stewards, asst Stewards, busboys, and anyone who serves. It is a COP OUT to "explain" the bogus reasoning for removing any tips.

4.Those that are TOO CHEAP to pay the tips, thanks! No wonder tips have gone up.

Who died and made you Captain of tips.Do you really think anyone cares what you think.Why don't you tip more. :eek: :p :rolleyes: :confused:

This just says plenty that I agree with.....and 3 out of the 4 are spot on. I have no way to know whether #2 is true and without any contradictory evidence -- I will just say, I expect that the tips GET to the CREW MEMBERS.

I figure we don't have any reason to think they don't get them.

Tom

This just says plenty that I agree with.....and 3 out of the 4 are spot on. I have no way to know whether #2 is true and without any contradictory evidence -- I will just say, I expect that the tips GET to the CREW MEMBERS.

I am a bit confused as when I got to tips and reminders under my booking - this is what is posted

a. For the convenience of guests, pre-paid gratuities may be arranged online or added to your booking by your travel agent, before your sail date, at a daily rate of $12.00 USD gratuity ($14.25 USD for Suite Guests).

However the email I received has them being $12.95 and increasing to $13.50. Considering for over a year my booking has specified that my gratuity is $12. For a 9 day sailing and 4 people that does add up just a little bit. That is another $54.

I believe there was a gratuity increase back in June. You must have booked before then.

Edited by Big_G

My stance is that if Royal charges a gratuity as part of its cruise cost then fine - I can choose to sail or not (and I do!). I don't go into a store and then barter with the clerk about the amount on the price tag - I pay it or I don't buy. However, the wording on Royal's website regarding gratuities is very interesting "The automatic daily gratuity is based on customary industry standards. Applying this charge automatically helps streamline the recognition process for the crew members that work to enhance your cruise. We hope you find the gratuity to be an accurate reflection of your satisfaction and thank you for your generous recognition of our staff." and "The daily automatic gratuity amounts are recommended and based on customary industry standards." I am under the impression by the wording on Royal's website that the gratuity amounts are not mandatory.

You probably should insert 'some' before stewards. We've never heard either from a cabin steward.

These people live on their tips and in many cases send them home to support their families. Whether it's right or wrong for RCI not to pay them more, not tipping takes away from their families

Some of these family members even rely on a crutch and go by the name of Tim.

C'mon already! Now where the service charge / tip ends up is supposed to factor into if someone tips and how much? If the service warrants it, they get it, gladly, with a smile. But how many cousins on the other side of the planet are supported by the person making my towel monkey is not going to influence my tip amount.

Geez, start a charity fund raiser on the Lido deck during a sea day if the families of the crew are now our concern.

Let's not forget the hard working girls in the Call Center - they work hard, they have families - outrageous we don't tip them or pay a service charge to them.