Just cancelled my cruise on riviera

amber1002

RJB, in the spirit of friendly conversation on CC, you shared your belief many customers do not know about or bother to read CC. Perhaps that is so.

However, I note 17,213 views so far of the "CODE RED" thread on this chat board (600 views of this thread). Of course, that does NOT mean 17,000 separate readers. But 17,213 views signals a considerable number of consumers are interested in the views of those who recently were customers of this company and wish to be better informed about what "it" is they have purchased - or are considering purchasing - from Oceania.

Is there value for the premium price charged? Does O honor its commitments, does it consistently deliver on its promised 5 star service? Is management attentive and sensitive to customer needs? Those are the points I am interested in learning about from others.

As you know, often cruises have Cruise Critic "greeting" parties. I have attended many on O and pleasantly found a large number present. Not half the ship...but a large contingent of CC posters appear which indicates there is a large audience supportive of the wonderful resource that Cruise Critic is!

If I am wrong and many more people view CC than I thought that is a good thing. The more people that look at these boards and the more they give us their thoughts, good or bad the more influence we should have on the folks the run the cruise lines. I think most posters are looking for the good in their cruises and not the bad. Don't think we are willing to admit we spent a lot of money and did not get what we paid for. Takes a lot for me to post a bad review about Oceania. In 9 cruises the only negatives that were worth talking about was the 2/12 noro cruise and the way Oceania handled the info. on the ship, or lack of it. And still in spite of their shortcomings they did a great job in Miami getting 4 or 500 rooms on 2 days notice for all that needed them. I can not imagine in the middle of Feb, during spring break and Presidents week how they did it, and getting all those buses to get the people there. Even though some people want to think it, everything was not bad. Cruise Critic is a great place to get good info. and more people should use it.

We were already to book a cruise on the Riviera until we read the reviews. Several outbreaks of noro virus is enough to make me not book or cancel if I had booked. Having been on another ship that has had several noro virus outbreaks, I never want to be on a ship that has a sickness. Riviera seems to be a sick ship. Even if they thoroughly clean the ship before, during, and after any cruise, if a crew member is a carrier, the ship will get infected again. Some people are carriers and don't exibit symptoms. They just spred the virus. While many people do not read the reviews and just book. Until you have been exposed to a sick ship, you can not imagine how uncomfortable it is being on such a ship. I have been lucky not to have been sick from the noro virus. I was unlucky to have a sailing with many people who were sick. Time to take Riviera out of service and really clean it. Also, test all crew members to find the source.

Has there been a fresh outbreak of the virus? I haven't checked here for some time and I thought they had it under control. When was the latest outbreak? We are due to go on a TA on the 11th and are very concerned.

The current cruise has an outbreak.

Its very interesting the fact that there are statements here from people on board Riveria right now ..their opinions are POLAR opposites

Im sorry that you cancelled your cruise but I consider you lucky to be able to do it if you need to.

we are well past the point of canceling and getting any type of refund so I'm going to take a deep breath and hope for the best

i'm hoping we can go in with eyes open and enjoy some of the luxury and fantastic dining we have read about here.

If I have to ...I will stop reading here on CC because that seems to be the most upsetting. I've almost gotten to the point where I was so worried about the noro that I forgot that I am TERRIFIED of flying ... ... so there is a silver lining :)

You know I just loved your post. What great attitude and I wish you all the best.

With in excess of 55 cruises I can honestly state I have avoided this virus personally even when it has been known to be onboard.

There are so many personal precautions one can take - in fact I take most of them even when NV isn't present.

And hence I knew this photograph would come in handy one day...

26129127926_961a7d553d_z.jpg

A sensible facility on Riviera but would you believe the number of gentlemen (?) there were who never thought of using it.

I think most people do not know about cruise critic. You have to look for it to find it and not everyone wants to take the time to look for this information. In talking to a lot of the people on the ship they had no clue that a website like CC even existed. Lets hope all the problems are cleared up now so we will not need to have a thread like this in the future. :):):)

I can only agree with you on this point.

It is even more pertinent here in the UK where boards have really become the preserve of a minority of cruisers, those who don't want to show their faces on Facebook, and often spend hours a day talking pure drivel.

You know I just loved your post. What great attitude and I wish you all the best.

With in excess of 55 cruises I can honestly state I have avoided this virus personally even when it has been known to be onboard.

There are so many personal precautions one can take - in fact I take most of them even when NV isn't present.

And hence I knew this photograph would come in handy one day...

26129127926_961a7d553d_z.jpg

A sensible facility on Riviera but would you believe the number of gentlemen (?) there were who never thought of using it.

Better yet, those tissues aren't necessarily used to dry your hands or blow your nose. But to open the door (typically with clean hands).

Has there been a fresh outbreak of the virus? I haven't checked here for some time and I thought they had it under control. When was the latest outbreak? We are due to go on a TA on the 11th and are very concerned.

Greetings, cassandra44. You are right to be concerned. There are nine sea days on the TA, and they will be Hell without services and amenities. The worst of it is that the cruise experience for the healthy is like old fashioned steerage, a place to sleep and food. Where is the refund for undelivered services? The line is not even informing passengers soon to book of the problem. There is something immoral about that.

That uninformed innocent people are boarding Riviera, a vessel with an immediate history of harboring disease, is the line's responsibility. The inescapable fact is that for O, it's profit at any cost, and that saddens me.

Mary

Cruise Critic is not the sole source of info on cruises and/or providing reviews of the various ships. A simple search of the Riveria will provide numerous accounts of the situation currently on the Riveria. This does not include the various Facebook postings and comments on the other social media outlets. Also many read (or might I say lurk) on these pages and never ever write a comment themselves. So the number of posters is not an indication of the number of readers.

Just one example is a cruiser on Wineberserkers . com wrote of his ill fated adventures on the ship recently with noro and all the problems encountered. That web site has a large readership of people with the finances to travel and that do. If I was unacquainted with Oceania, I doubt that I would book them in general, or the Riveria in particular, after the comments made by that passenger/poster based upon his real life experiences.

The future will behold what it beholds. The fact remains that a large portion of O's cruisers are repeats and are probably more prone to give O another chance. I am planning my Oceania 2017 cruise now, and awaiting the 4/6 booking date to do . However, I'm glad my current plans do have me getting on the Riveria anytime in the next couple of years! ;)

Warburg hits the nail! Her point goes to the heart of the matter.

Having been on a number of Riviera TAs from Europe to Miami with multiple outbreaks, I can reaffirm how miserable it can stuck at sea for seven days as infection spreads and service levels rapidly deteriorate, activities are curtailed and amenities slashed.

The Oceania experience morphs into something quite different than what we might take for granted. To be at sea for a week with so many problems manifesting themselves is not simply a medical related matter. Its like a siege mentality at sea.

It goes to what "services" were promised by O in return for customers paying the premium price - and what is, or is not, provided.

Better yet, those tissues aren't necessarily used to dry your hands or blow your nose. But to open the door (typically with clean hands).

Good afternoon CB.

Exactly my point.

Those tissues have one purpose and one purpose only and it is linked to opening the door without fear of contaminating those 'clean hands'.

If only every passenger would respect the system that is in place.

Until you've been on a cruise operating under code red you don't know just how unpleasant it is. Constant dripping disinfectant on walls, chairs, tables. Buffet tables completely surrounded in plastic wrap. No salt/pepper, sugar, place mats, utensils on tables. Locked library bookshelves, closed laundry rooms. Poor service from overworked staff.

We were on the famous 2/12 cruise that returned early to Miami.

On this last cruise I read that a couple bailed in Bonaire -- I don't blame them and would have seriously considered doing the same.

A cruise operating under code red is not luxurious and these passengers are certainly not getting their money's worth.

Just my $.02.

I'll throw in my 2 pennies and agree with you on this one.

Our only really Noro Cruise was on the Crown Princess when we sailed the British Isles some time ago. She contracted Norovirus on the transatlantic just prior to our sailing. For almost the entire 12 day cruise, we we under Code Red.

It was more than a minor inconvenience: Library was closed, no olives or lemons in drinks, no salt and pepper shakers, buffet lines were insane, etc. It was a relatively new staff that had to really adapt for the Code Red enforcement.

Although the sights were spectacular, it really put a damper on this long awaited cruise. And we are talking serious money spent here: LAX-London summertime airfare and plenty of pricey excursions brought the tally to a pretty large total! When you are spending that kind of money, you really do want a full cruise experience. i concur also with the OP's decision to cancel.

The Crown Princess, BTW, had several subsequent outbreaks. I do believe she was a very SICK SHIP. :mad:

After reading numerous cruise related websites, I don't think the OP is alone in canceling Oceania cruises. More than a few feel the same as she and they are canceling for reasons other than Noro. Since we've only cruised Oceania twice, both this year, I have no idea if their concerns are true or not, but there's a lot of chatter about reduced staff and downgrading of both food and service since NCL purchased Oceania. If this is the case, it doesn't bode well for Oceania.

There is another group of people probably not represented much either. Those that thought about taking an Oceania cruise but certainly won't now. Noro virus happens and that certainly isn't the cause, the cause is how the cruise line reacts and treats its valued passengers when it happens to them. Oceania has failed in that respect, so therefore I will move to the many other cruises that have a greater appreciation for me as a passenger.

There is another group of people probably not represented much either. Those that thought about taking an Oceania cruise but certainly won't now. Noro virus happens and that certainly isn't the cause, the cause is how the cruise line reacts and treats its valued passengers when it happens to them. Oceania has failed in that respect, so therefore I will move to the many other cruises that have a greater appreciation for me as a passenger.

We have yet to take our first Oceania cruise,really looking forward to it,but I have to say that of all the negatives I have read about,the postings on their treatment to passengers,is the most worrying...

...and then there is another group of people - people who have cruised on Oceania more than once (I will call them "Old timers" as opposed to "Newbies" or "Wannabees") and known Oceania well from their past experiences.

I suspect most of those will consider this as an aberration, based on their prior experiences, and will continue to trust Oceania.

I am one of those.

However, if there are significant changes in the future from our prior experiences (food, service, ambience, etc) then it will be time for us as well to move on.

But not just yet :)

On Regatta now the food & service is just as good as it was 8 yrs ago when we sailed on her

Lots of 1st timers onboard & most that we have talked to love the food the ship etc...

A few 20 somethings onboard also they look like they are enjoying themselves or maybe just making the best of being stuck on th3e old folks home ;)

One little girl about 4 who belongs to one of the officers ...very cute & well behaved

janecambridge, I wanted to jump in here and say that you should make your own judgments. I'm going to tell you that I think Oceania treats their passengers (and crew) with the utmost respect and try and do their very best.

I am quite familiar with many of the luxury cruise ships, and I have found O to be one of the best.

Who is perfect? But it is how you chose to look at a situation-glass half full or half empty.

Don't avoid traveling with them. Give them a chance. I just know that you will be sold, and if not, then you have at least tried.

janecambridge, I wanted to jump in here and say that you should make your own judgments. I'm going to tell you that I think Oceania treats their passengers (and crew) with the utmost respect and try and do their very best.

I am quite familiar with many of the luxury cruise ships, and I have found O to be one of the best.

Who is perfect? But it is how you chose to look at a situation-glass half full or half empty.

Don't avoid traveling with them. Give them a chance. I just know that you will be sold, and if not, then you have at least tried.

I will definitely make my own judgements but hopefully won't encounter any problems whereby I need to complain....;)

We are looking forward to the cruise in the summer very much and the positives do outweigh the negatives for me.the food sounds great and the quiet evenings are what we are after... Just think it's worrying for anyone with a complaint.

So what is the descriptive of a luxury cruise liner?

We have sailed Cunard grills ( ok but disappointing),Regent,Princess and the best of all Star clippers,I have my half full and half empty opinions of them all.But Princess certainly were top of list for communication,price reduction discounts after payment and compensation for damaged luggage...

Yes I read this last night and it was that thread that is worrying...

As sad and difficult as this recent stretch on Riviera has been for everyone involved, I still say that it is a "one of" situation with Riviera.

You don't hear anything like this from cruisers on Marina, Nautica, Regatta or Insignia.

Not to mention the prior 12 years on Oceania as a whole.

As sad and difficult as this recent stretch on Riviera has been for everyone involved, I still say that it is a "one of" situation with Riviera.

You don't hear anything like this from cruisers on Marina, Nautica, Regatta or Insignia.

Not to mention the prior 12 years on Oceania as a whole.

A "one off" for 5 months? Don't think so. 1 or 2 cruises sure, but not for the amount of time this has been going on. I bet they have been on code red 60 to 70 percent of the time during those months even if it was not reported to the CDC. Makes for a lousy cruise for all their passengers, not only those that were sick. Something is wrong and they need to find out what it is.

A "one off" for 5 months? Don't think so. 1 or 2 cruises sure, but not for the amount of time this has been going on. I bet they have been on code red 60 to 70 percent of the time during those months even if it was not reported to the CDC. Makes for a lousy cruise for all their passengers, not only those that were sick. Something is wrong and they need to find out what it is.

Everyone has to decide for themselves as to what they are comfortable doing.

Speaking for myself, we have 5 Oceania cruises booked into 2018 and at the moment I have zero hesitation in taking them all.

Granted, they are on the Marina, Nautica and Insignia but if I had a future cruise on Riviera I would go.

As I stated before, only if my future experiences on Oceania are significantly inferior to my prior ones (food, service, ambience, etc) would I think about moving on.

YMMV.

Do you have any future O cruises? If so, have you cancelled them?