Wish there was a tea station available on one of the lower decks

vmom

Just off the Noordam.

Any thoughts?

I wish there was hot tea available on one of the lower decks for a cup during the day. I know that the Explorations cafe is on deck 3, but I don't think I should have to spend $2-3 to get a simple cup of hot tea during the day.

I usually go to the Lido for hot tea, so if I'm doing something on one of the lower decks, its just so inconvenient to have to go up to deck 9 and then down again.

Another factor, we had some rough seas on 3 days which made carrying my hot cup of tea from deck 9 down to deck 2 very inconvenient and difficult without spilling.

Could you bring an insulated travel mug to carry your beverage of choice without spilling? That's what I would do in your situation.

Excellent idea. I am surprised I hadn't thought of this.

I often cruise Princess or RCCL. On Princess I usually get their coffee card so I can have easy access using the International cafe and on the RCCL ships I have been on, there is a hot tea/coffee station on a lower deck, so have not had to deal with this issue before.

I agree.

I think it would be nice to have a tea/coffee station on the lower decks. I thought of an insulated travel mug, but I hate having to pack more than necessary. And the little cups in the Lido are sometimes hard to carry, even on days of smooth seas -- especially when you have other things in your hands, like books or daily programs.

If not a self-serve station, it would be nice to be able to get a cup of tea from the bars on lower decks. I cruise more in colder climates than warm ones, and love relaxing in the public areas with a warm beverage and my book. I don't think it's too much to think I should be able to get a cup of tea in the bars the same way others get cold beverages.

A travel mug should not be too bad to pack, stuff it with socks (clean of course ;)) and it won't take up any additional room.

I pack my socks in my shoes. ;)

But even if you think it's not too bad to pack, others, like me, may. I don't want to pack anything I don't have to.

I agree with OP that hot beverages should be available in more locations on all ships, but it is what it is. I do use an insulated travel mug to help solve this problem, and the space it takes for packing is negligible. I stuff it with little things I pack anyway, in plastic bag, like aspirin bottle, makeup item, etc.

Sometimes in evening at Crow's Nest or piano bar, I like a coffee with a shot of Kahlua or Bailey's. Guess what? They have the booze, but no coffee. So have to go to Lido for coffee in my mug, then to the bar for a shot to pour in. PITA.

And if I want a hot tea in my room before bed, I can go to the Lido and get a mug of hot water. Yes, one can call room service, but I feel silly taxing them for something so small. Don't want to have them take away this wonderful free perk.

(And those mugs are great for carrying "room beverages" around the ship incognito.)

Celebrity , for example, has a very nice self-service tea and coffee station with coffee machines and hot water on some of their Solstice-class ships ( for example on Silhouette and Reflection). It's called "Hideaway", offers comfortable seating - great for reading - and complimentary and really decent coffee and teas (unfortunately it's the same "dishwater" brand they offer in the buffet area) on decks 6/7. But in general a great idea!

Could you bring an insulated travel mug to carry your beverage of choice without spilling? That's what I would do in your situation.

I can't believe I didn't think of it since we bring our mugs on every cruise. I hate it when the server brings us a drink at the pool and the ice melts in minutes. So we started bringing our mugs. We just pour the drink in the mug and it stays cold for at least an hour.

Good luck with the hot tea. I am sure the mug will be the answer to the problem.

Sometimes in evening at Crow's Nest or piano bar, I like a coffee with a shot of Kahlua or Bailey's. Guess what? They have the booze, but no coffee. So have to go to Lido for coffee in my mug, then to the bar for a shot to pour in. PITA.

Are you sure? I've never had trouble getting an Irish Coffee in the Crow's Nest any time of the day or night.

WE always purchase inexpensive "travel" mugs before a cruise, then toss them before coming home. Great for getting a decent amount of beverage and keeping it at a good temp. The "extra" space is useful for packing things we've picked up during the cruise.

If you want it, you have to pack it. If you don't want it, don't pack it.

Exactly! It is a necessary item if you will use it. Unless they buy one in the gift shop and leave it behind after the cruise. Then it is there to use and if you don't pack it you will have to buy another next cruise.

If you want it, you have to pack it. If you don't want it, don't pack it.

And what is so much of a bother to pack a thermal mug? As others have pointed out, you can pick soft clothing, like socks, in the mug. Shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I think the insulated mug is a good solution, however I still think it would be nice to have a hot beverage station on a lower deck.

I was on the Brilliance and the Serenade on RCCL and both ships had a table set up with hot water and tea bags to be used during the day. It was widely used and so convenient. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to have something similar set up on the Holland ships.

Not complaining, just it would be a very nice extra.

Edited by vmom

I always pack my thermal mug when I head out to a cruise. It comes in handy for my morning coffee, holding just enough to wake me up.

On the way home, it safely holds all those uneaten Pinnacle truffles I can't finish after the meal.

Mug takes up no extra space when it's being put to good use.

I wish that HAL had a bar on every deck, you know, a "local" for each deck. Maybe two, one at each end.

But, as Mick Jagger reminded us, ♪♪ you can't always get what you want...

Now that could be dangerous ! :p

I always pack my thermal mug when I head out to a cruise. It comes in handy for my morning coffee, holding just enough to wake me up.

On the way home, it safely holds all those uneaten Pinnacle truffles I can't finish after the meal.

Mug takes up no extra space when it's being put to good use.

"Uneaten" Pinnacle truffle? I had no idea such a thing existed...:D My favorite Pinnacle Truffle is the little dab of white, milk or dark chocolate with dried fruits and nuts swirled in them. Sooooo good.

Edited by galensgrl
typo

"Uneaten" Pinnacle truffle? I had no idea such a thing existed...:D

By the time the Pinnacle chocolates are placed in front of me, I'm too full to enjoy them. So, I pop them in a little baggie I carry in my purse for just that purpose, and tote them home.

As a matter of fact, all my HAL pillow chocolates come home with me, too. Then each night I have a few, and I am immediately whisked away to some serene time aboard.

• 5 weeks later...
Just off the Noordam.

Any thoughts?

I wish there was hot tea available on one of the lower decks for a cup during the day. I know that the Explorations cafe is on deck 3, but I don't think I should have to spend $2-3 to get a simple cup of hot tea during the day.

I usually go to the Lido for hot tea, so if I'm doing something on one of the lower decks, its just so inconvenient to have to go up to deck 9 and then down again.

Another factor, we had some rough seas on 3 days which made carrying my hot cup of tea from deck 9 down to deck 2 very inconvenient and difficult without spilling.

I bring a thermal mug with lid and fill up with tea and carry it everywhere. Buy a Hal one in the shops.

By the time the Pinnacle chocolates are placed in front of me, I'm too full to enjoy them. So, I pop them in a little baggie I carry in my purse for just that purpose, and tote them home.

As a matter of fact, all my HAL pillow chocolates come home with me, too. Then each night I have a few, and I am immediately whisked away to some serene time aboard.

I bring all my ship chocolates home too and enjoy them daydreaming about another cruise.