Why so many Blue Cards on Alaska cruises - is it one-and-done?.

Loreni

Maybe the 'most traveled' are also those who have enough money to spend that they can afford to go anywhere in the world anytime they please. Also keep in mind that many 'most traveled' cruisers live in Florida where they can do a lot of last minute cruises without air travel, so they might be less likely to cruise repeatedly to Alaska.

Wouldn't the "most traveled" people from Florida be less likely to fly anywhere to cruise...so Alaska would not be unique in this regard. Yet Alaska is unique in terms of the low number of days required to qualify for the most-traveled luncheon.

And the most traveled who are not from Florida, may be as you say able to go anywhere they want as often as they want...and it doesn't seem to be Alaska.

For people who need to spend a good bit of time and money getting to Seattle or Vancouver then Alaska might often be a one and done cruise, since most would not regard the weather as an added bonus. A few people might see the weather in Alaska as a bonus...they can see someplace nice and also escape hot weather. But, in general, warm weather cruising might be more attractive to more people as they can escape winter and still visit someplace nice. I think this could be a factor.

Edited by Loreni

If ur trying for the luncheon I heard the short Asia trips r ur best bet....

To develop a theory, I think ur title is bias......as u have already made an assumption.

I don't care about the lunch. Yes, there is an assumption in the title. It could also be that many people do repeat Alaska cruises, but still have a low overall number of cruise days at least on Princess. Definitely something interesting and unique is happening with the Alaska itinerary, but what exactly it is, I'm not sure.

I have never been. Alaska is beautiful but, my daughter lives there. If I'm going to Alaska I am going to see her. I also have an aversion to cold. Yes I know, but I go now to see my kids. When I cruise I want to be warm. We may someday take an Alaskan cruise but for now I will stick with warm weather places.

Because it's a topic of conversation and better then wanting to know what you can get away with wearing in the dining room on formal night. I often walk down the halls looking at the cards by the doors to see how many Elite passengers there are compared to other levels.

Why would you even care about the color of cards on board? Or even notice.

Why?

Because my life is finite and I need to prioritize my cruises. A high number of blue cards, means fewer repeat cruisers. Why?

Additionally, I have read here that Alaska cruises require the lowest number of days to qualify for the most-traveled luncheon. Why? On the face of it, it would seem that many of the most worldly and experienced cruisers either go to Alaska early in their cruising careers (probably once) or skip it altogether. If this is true, why? If it is not true, what else might explain the high number of blue cards AND the low number of days required for the most-traveled luncheon. Many posters have offered a number of plausible explanations, and I appreciate their thoughtfulness and the time they spent responding.

I have never noticed the number of blue cards on any cruise. And it should be obvious that I couldn't have noticed the number of blue cards on an Alaska cruise, because I have not been on an Alaska cruise. If I had been, I would not have needed to post this question. I did however read on CC about the high number of blue cards and found it curious, since Alaska sounds like a nice place to go. Also, my conversations with friends, family, and acquaintances about Alaska indicates that once was enough for them, but I wanted to hear from more people before making a decision.

Edited by Loreni

Why?

Because my life is finite and I need to prioritize my cruises. A high number of blue cards, means fewer repeat cruisers. Why?

I think Alaska is the destination for many. Not necessarily cruising but when they end up at a travel agency, they are told cruising is the best way to see it/easiest way to see it (with or with out a land package). I know others disagree but I am guessing this is what Travel Agents say.

A lot of these people are not cruisers, but Alaska is on their bucket list. Thus they go once and check this off of their bucket list. They end up loving Alaska but don't see themselves cruising in the Caribbean.

Edited by Coral

I don't care about the lunch. Yes, there is an assumption in the title. It could also be that many people do repeat Alaska cruises, but still have a low overall number of cruise days at least on Princess. Definitely something interesting and unique is happening with the Alaska itinerary, but what exactly it is, I'm not sure.

I like ur thinking.....

Here is another thought....Last month my princess vacation planner told me this

They had been crazy busy and the big market was.....now get this.... families...and where are these families going.... Alaska and why..... her belief was because princess has teamed up with Discovery to offer onboard activities and shore excursions based on popular shows from Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC etc.....look for the logos on the excursions sheets the next time you cruise and it is not just to Alaska.

Edited by land lover

I think Alaska is the destination for many. Not necessarily cruising but when they end up at a travel agency, they are told cruising is the best way to see it/easiest way to see it (with or with out a land package). I know others disagree but I am guessing this is what Travel Agents say.

A lot of these people are not cruisers, but Alaska is on their bucket list. Thus they go once and check this off of their bucket list. They end up loving Alaska but don't see themselves cruising in the Caribbean.

Great point......

I also think , a lot of us who cruised in the 90's did not have many options for short 7 day cruises so we picked Alaska just so we could cruise some where different. BTW in the 90's we were the youngest on the ship probably by 20 years. Maybe all the Alaska cruisers die off....just teasing of course

Edited by land lover

I like ur thinking.....

Here is another thought....Last month my princess vacation planner told me this

They had been crazy busy and the big market was.....now get this.... families...and where are these families going.... Alaska and why..... her belief was because princess has teamed up with Discovery to offer onboard activities and shore excursions based on popular shows from Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, TLC etc.....look for the logos on the excursions sheets the next time you cruise and it is not just to Alaska.

That is a good marketing decision. I have read that the average age of Alaska cruisers is higher than on many other itineraries, yet Alaska offers many options for active excursions that would appeal to families.

Why?

Additionally, I have read here that Alaska cruises require the lowest number of days to qualify for the most-traveled luncheon. Why? On the face of it, it would seem that many of the most worldly and experienced cruisers either go to Alaska early in their cruising careers (probably once) or skip it altogether. If this is true, why? If it is not true, what else might explain the high number of blue cards AND the low number of days required for the most-traveled luncheon. Many posters have offered a number of plausible explanations, and I appreciate their thoughtfulness and the time they spent responding.

I have never noticed the number of blue cards on any cruise. And it should be obvious that I couldn't have noticed the number of blue cards on an Alaska cruise, because I have not been on an Alaska cruise. If I had been, I would not have needed to post this question. I did however read on CC about the high number of blue cards and found it curious, since Alaska sounds like a nice place to go. Also, my conversations with friends, family, and acquaintances about Alaska indicates that once was enough for them, but I wanted to hear from more people before making a decision.

I love your though process and anything to pull me away from my taxes...thank u very much....:rolleyes: In my experience from cruising, Often the most cruised pax are not worldly travelers...they r repeat cruisers.

Repeat cruisers like to EAT, drink and be in the sun.....Alaska does not offer that.....;)

So I'll ask you this question what climate do you live in? For us in So. CA a visit to Alaska is different, but for someone from snow country one time would be enough.

I love your though process and anything to pull me away from my taxes...thank u very much....:rolleyes: In my experience from cruising, Often the most cruised pax are not worldly travelers...they r repeat cruisers.

Repeat cruisers like to EAT, drink and be in the sun.....Alaska does not offer that.....;)

Good point! Many of the most traveled could be in this category. Nothing wrong with enjoying a cruise ship as a sunny resort, but yes Alaska would not work for this.

It is true that most of the people I know who have cruised to Alaska (once) were from places that get snow and a few were from Southern California. Most of these people are very worldly travelers, but not primarily by cruise ship. Yet, they do have a variety of locations/resorts they return to frequently...these places vary by individual, but certainly have better weather than Alaska.

I can only speak personally. Alaska on Coral was our first Princess cruise. Alaska was very nice, but not something that called out to us for a return visit. Coral did -- immediately booked her again for the partial Panama Canal. PC didn't call out for a return visit. Would book Coral again, but she seems to spend almost the entire year doing those two itineraries. Our third Princess cruise will be Canada/New England next fall -- on Crown, only because Coral doesn't go there.

Well, most of the people that I have spoken to about this are not people that I met on a cruise ship, and most of these people do not cruise as their primary form of vacation.

Yet, I have to be honest, even when talking to new people that I have just met aboard a ship, nobody had ever told me that Alaska was their favorite destination or that they have sailed (or plan to sail) there multiple times. This would be consistent with the reports on C.C. that Alaska has so many blue cards and is the easiest itinerary on which to qualify for the most-traveled lunch. I am still trying to understand why this is true, but many of the replies here are helpful in developing a theory. I appreciate everyone's input and I don't doubt that Alaska is beautiful and well worth seeing.

Honestly, you don't really seem to want to hear what most of the people are saying. I've done Alaska a few times and to be honest, I grew up in Vancouver and Alaska is more of the same. However, the glaciers are amazing and the excursions are expensive. I'm going again in August 2017 and taking my grandkids. The reason we picked this one was because we can drive to the port and the youngest grands only have to fly a short distance by themselves.

The topography of Alaska is unique and that's why people go there. There is so much nature both alive and just in scenery. We've done lots of Caribbean, Mexico etc but this cruise offers something different. It is a different feel. Shore excursions here are very expensive. In the Caribbean you can have a magnificent day for under $100. Don't plan on that in Alaska. That is another reason people don't go back.

Keep in mind that Princess employees and their "friends and family" members sail with a blue card. Given that Princess has a large office in Seattle that might make the difference.

I grew up in Vancouver. I took the trip to Alaska. When I got home everyone said "OMG was it amazing?". I said have you taken the trip by ferry to Vancouver Island? Have you been to Stanly Park and seen the totem poles? Same stuff, different day.

Remember, Alaska is a US state. They sell things in US dollars.

You are going there for the nature. Not to snorkel, swim with the stingrays or go out on a catamaran. It depends on what you want in life. I live in So Cal and I get warm weather most of the year. Going to the Caribbean is always fun but it is more of the same after so many cruises. Like anything.

Edited by notentirelynormal

My first Alaska cruise was July 2015 aboard the Pacific Princess and it was my first Princess cruise. I went with a friend and we did a pre-cruise tour with Princess before the cruise staying at the McKinley and Denali lodges, as well as spending some time before and after in Anchorage and Vancouver. I went with the expectation that this would be a 'once in a lifetime' experience to Alaska. Loved, loved, loved the entire trip.

Perhaps I'll go back, but if not, I feel I had a great trip and great memories. I have more places yet to check off on my travel list.

Alaska was our first cruise. 10 day round trip from SF. I only went to make my wife happy as I absolutely knew I wouldn't like cruising. Wow. Rarely have I been soooooooooo wrong. I was hooked.

We've done a number of other cruises since but we are going back to Alaska in June for a 6 day land tour followed by a 7 day southbound to Vancouver. I sincerely doubt this will be our last Alaska cruise. We are also talking about taking 8 weeks next year to drive to Glacier National Park in Montana and then up through Canada into Alaska up to the end of the Alaska Highway along the Rocky Mountain Route and then back home to California via the Gold Rush route. It will be a different way to see Alaska and should be fantastic.

As for the blue cards... I kind of envy them. I remember that first cruise to Alaska with great fondness. :)

If you drive up, be sure to get a copy of the Milepost. It doesn't have to be current, as the sights to see don't change from year to year.

This year is our 7th. Six in the last six years. love the scenery. live in Oregon so no flight needed. Drives my ta nuts. Same cruise same hotel. The only tour was the train in Scagway. Enjoy the folks that they bring on board like the first woman to win Iditarod and a gentleman that does some music in Scagway. We do a lot of walking. we have done Glacier Bay for all but one. incredible view of the Marjory glacier. Lots of whales in Icy Straight. Have seen Brown bears right near glacier. Be sure to have a quality pair of binoculars sit back and enjoy.

Three trips to Alaska so far for me - 1 northbound with interior afterwards, one RT out of seattle, and one b2b out of vancouver, all Princess. On the RT, made the most traveled party as a platinum (which I don't believe they do anymore), made the most traveled on both legs of the b2b, including being #3 on the sb (Pacific) last year, with something around 175 days. I was a little stunned at that one.

I've seen enough different things on the trips that I'd have no problems going back when I can catch a fare that's reasonable. I'm not going to pay top dollar to go back, but if I get a good fare? I'd go again in a heartbeat. This particular year prices seem to be on the high side so far. Every trip into Glacier Bay has been different, even when they were as close together as the b2b.

Alaska is one destination that has a large section of it that's best viewed by cruise ship, so if people are doing that one trip to Alaska, they're likely to take a cruise, even if they don't normally want to do cruises. Some of them get hooked, and start taking more cruises, some don't and never get on a ship again.

I also think some people really just under estimate how infrequently a lot of people travel for a vacation. I know some people that haven't been on a plane in over 10 years, and just rarely seem to do much other than go north for a week or two in the summer here in Michigan.

If you drive up, be sure to get a copy of the Milepost. It doesn't have to be current, as the sights to see don't change from year to year.

Thanks. We definitely plan to get the Milepost. I had the same thought about the sights not changing that much but, as we don't have it yet, we will wait for a "slightly" updated version before we go. I do appreciate the advice though and agree that it is excellent advice. :)

I've read that one can make the drive up and back in as little as 10 days. Sheesh... That doesn't sound like much fun at all! We once took almost 2 weeks to get to Denver for a wedding and it was a truly wonderful trip. That's why we decided 2 months might be a good length for our Alaska driving trip. We plan to take a couple of weeks later this year as a "trial run" with our little teardrop trailer. It's just a queen sized bed and a hatch back for our camping kitchen stuff. We usually camp for 3 -4 days and then get a hotel for the night, eat in a restaurant, buy more supplies, have a long shower, etc.

Come May 6 we will be married 44 years and we can still take long drives together and not want to kill each other. Our Alaska trip will almost certainly be a great one. After that we will drive across the U.S. and end up in Florida where we will stash the truck and trailer, do a Caribbean cruise (possibly a B2B) and then drive a different route home. We will likely do a northern trip of the same sort. I've worked all my life and am looking forward to doing things with my wife.

I have always felt sorry for the people at work who say taking a vacation with their husband or wife is not their idea of a good time. They want to get away from their spouse. How sad. I picked a smart woman who could be a lifetime friend as well as a wife. It's worked out very well. I've never understood men who choose a wife solely based on "hotness". I wanted the entire "package" and I feel I chose well. I got a wife I love very much who also has looks and brains. She, on the other hand, may not have chosen as wisely but... :rolleyes:

Edited by Thrak

Enjoy the folks that they bring on board like the first woman to win Iditarod and a gentleman that does some music in Scagway.

Libby Riddles and Steve Hites - we too agree that they are great additions to the cruise experience. While lots of people have heard of Libby Riddles before, Steve Hites isn't a household name but he is well worth seeing. He is a wonderful storyteller and musician. See http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/north-to-alaska/.

I was thinking back to our first cruise to Alaska and we were the blue card people.

Alaska was not new to us as we had taken a family trip with the kids back in 2005 and always wanted to go back. In our family, growing up, an Alaskan cruise or going to Hawaii was always one of those dream vacations that we never thought we would get to do. Keep in mind, that living in the South, those destinations are a long and sometimes very expensive flight to just get there. At a minimum, it's almost 5 hours direct from Atlanta to Seattle, so I know others who have to connect, it can be a full day of travel.

It was going to be a once in lifetime cruise. We had only done one other cruise and that was on Celebrity, and was not sure if we were "cruise people". If you are not retired, and have limited vacation time, the logistics of this cruise can be more difficult as you really need to fly in the day before, and depending on when you get back & flights, may be the next day before you can fly back. Instead of only taking 5 days vacation, you may end up taking 7+ days. I think this one of the reasons it's sometimes approached as a once in a liftime trip, in addition to how expensive the tours are.

I also think it depends on what people want to do if they have limited vacation time. As others have brought up, this is not a vacation to lay around the pool or taking beach breaks at every port. It's about sight seeing and nature. There tends to be an older crowd on the sailings as many kids would get bored with the cruise. I know at an early age, our kids would have been, but now they are grown, it's now on their bucket list to do some day. We have gravitated away from beaches and like to go see nature & culture, which is why we have been on three cruises there and have number four booked. A lot of blue cards may also be well seasoned travelers from other cruise lines, that don't go to Glacier Bay or some of the other places that Princes sails into, and moved over to get the experience they offer.

If it worked out for us, we would go every year and never grow tired of it. We don't do this as we want to see other places, and we are pretty well traveled around the globe, but are always talking about wanting to go back. That's why the next trip is a cruise and a week on land before it.

Thanks. We definitely plan to get the Milepost. I had the same thought about the sights not changing that much but, as we don't have it yet, we will wait for a "slightly" updated version before we go. I do appreciate the advice though and agree that it is excellent advice. :)

I've read that one can make the drive up and back in as little as 10 days. Sheesh... That doesn't sound like much fun at all! We once took almost 2 weeks to get to Denver for a wedding and it was a truly wonderful trip. That's why we decided 2 months might be a good length for our Alaska driving trip. We plan to take a couple of weeks later this year as a "trial run" with our little teardrop trailer. It's just a queen sized bed and a hatch back for our camping kitchen stuff. We usually camp for 3 -4 days and then get a hotel for the night, eat in a restaurant, buy more supplies, have a long shower, etc.

Come May 6 we will be married 44 years and we can still take long drives together and not want to kill each other. Our Alaska trip will almost certainly be a great one. After that we will drive across the U.S. and end up in Florida where we will stash the truck and trailer, do a Caribbean cruise (possibly a B2B) and then drive a different route home. We will likely do a northern trip of the same sort. I've worked all my life and am looking forward to doing things with my wife.

I have always felt sorry for the people at work who say taking a vacation with their husband or wife is not their idea of a good time. They want to get away from their spouse. How sad. I picked a smart woman who could be a lifetime friend as well as a wife. It's worked out very well. I've never understood men who choose a wife solely based on "hotness". I wanted the entire "package" and I feel I chose well. I got a wife I love very much who also has looks and brains. She, on the other hand, may not have chosen as wisely but... :rolleyes:

Thrak - Always good to hear about someone who wants to spend as much time with their spouse as they can. We have been married 32 years last month and I still refer to her as my bride. :)

We will have a number of blue cards in our group on our sailing this year. My husband and I have gathered 14 of our backpacking friends and a family member for a group trip. He and I are the only ones who have cruised with Princess before and have cruised to Alaska. Two couples and one of the other ladies have cruised with other cruise lines but never to Alaska.

They're excited about this year's group expedition!