Why so many Blue Cards on Alaska cruises - is it one-and-done?.

Loreni

Our first cruise ever was to Alaska in 2013 on Princess. This after many years of my husband saying he would never cruise. We extended our cruise with a land package as well as a few days on our own even before that. What an eye opener as far as cruising goes. It gave us a taste for it though we've only done one cruise since with one coming this summer.

We are youngish - I'm turning 50 this summer - and still have kids at home so for us cruising remains a "special occasion only for the two of us" deal. Yes, we could take the kids with us but only if we didn't do anything the rest of the year. When we say we have kids I mean we have five plus a son in law and soon to have grandchild so you can see the expense involved for a family cruise. Our youngest is 12 and four of them still live at home.

That said we do want to go back to Alaska but it will be a few years yet after we get more cruising experience. Last summer we went to Cozumel on Carnival ... won't be doing that again, or at least not that itinerary. We're from Florida, we've got better beaches within 15 minutes of our home and a pool in the backyard. LOL When we cruise we want something different from what we get practically every day.

This summer we are doing the British Isles with several days on our own beforehand for London and Paris. The itinerary is a bit better ... fewer "at sea" days and lots more ports to get off in and explore. Again this is with Princess.

Will we do Alaska again? Yep. Some day. Will we do it the same way we did it the first time? Probably not. We'll cruise but the excursions will be different and we'll try an itinerary with a minimum number of "at sea" days. We are the type of travelers that prefer "doing" in port than "relaxing" on board. LOL

I want to thank all of you for your answers. It is very helpful to me. I am surprised that, except for Sandy, all replies are from those of you who have been to Alaska more than once. The insights from those who have been to Alaska multiple times are very valuable to me. I also hope more people who have only gone once will share their reasons.

Thank you all!

I have only gone once with no plans to repeat. I loved Alaska. It was beautiful, but frankly, I just do not like to be cold. Beautiful warm weather on land, but always cold on the ship in Alaskan waters. For me cruising is a warm weather sport.:D

We live 40 minutes away from Pier 91 in Seattle and we’ve been on a lot of Alaskan cruises out of Seattle, sometimes 2 in a summer, I think this year will be 12. It’s something we enjoy, like to get away, eat some good food and enjoy the company of others. Most Blue card people have never heard of Cruise Critic. I’ve run into some who thought that they had to pay extra to eat in the MDR. I was having a snack one morning and a lady and her husband ask me what it cost to eat in the MDR. Another time on the last day of our cruise at dinner I ordered a glass of milk, our table mates ask us how much was the glass of milk, they’d been looking for a glass of milk all week and never saw or found one. I told them it’s included in your cruise, just ask for a glass and they’ll bring it.

The last minute deals are pretty much a myth for Alaska sailings. Princess as cut back the number of sailing in the last couple of years to keep the numbers up. This year we booked our cruise in early February an Ocean view obstructed cabin Emerald deck, $925 each. That same room today is $1549 and it keeps going up. We always book an Ocean view room hoping that we’ll get upgraded to a balcony, we’ve been upgraded a few times. I talked to a friend of mine at Princess yesterday and he told me that there are only 31 cabins left on our sailing.

The flora is pretty much the same in Western Washington as it is in Southeast Alaska, we have Bald Eagles and otters here but it’s the experience that my wife and I enjoy. I’ve met people who never get off the ship when there up in Alaska. Some of our friends think we are crazy for taking so many Alaska cruises, some of them have never been. We’ve never done the same excursion twice, there’s always something different to do or see.

I have always felt sorry for the people at work who say taking a vacation with their husband or wife is not their idea of a good time. They want to get away from their spouse. How sad. I picked a smart woman who could be a lifetime friend as well as a wife. It's worked out very well. I've never understood men who choose a wife solely based on "hotness". I wanted the entire "package" and I feel I chose well. I got a wife I love very much who also has looks and brains. She, on the other hand, may not have chosen as wisely but... :rolleyes:

Aren't you the lucky one! Meybe she picked with her eyes closed?😇

Edited by Treven

You cruise to Alaska because Alaska, although parts looking the same as North Washington and BC, is serene and peaceful land beautiful. And it just happens to be on a floating resort. Doesn't get much better. You can't choose this cruise for the most traveled recognition, it is usually a cocktail party in place of a luncheon.

Just because you see a blue card doesn't mean that passenger is not a repeat Alaskan cruiser. I will have sailing on Island next month with a blue card and this WILL be a return cruise for me. My first cruise to Alaska was with my dad in 2002 on Cruise West (a small ship company that is now out of business). I had a truly amazing time and have wanted to take my husband to experience Alaska ever since. The time is finally right for us and my DH and I will sail from Vancouver next month on Island to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. It's a dream come true to be able to return to Alaska with him! And hopefully there will be a repeat cruise for the 2 of us in the not to distant future!

I'd love to take a cruise to Alaska every year. DH isn't so keen on the idea. We've taken three so far--2003, 2010, and 2012. I'm hoping that after he retires this summer we'll be able to take a northbound cruise, have a few days on our own, then a southbound cruise on a different ship.

We met several passengers on our southbound cruise a few years ago who were doing it back-to-back with the previous northbound one. I like my idea of having a few days in between better--plus not everything will be repeated on a different ship, although many may seem like it.

Edited by geoherb

I was just at the doctor's office. I told another patient we were going on a cruise and she said the same thing I've heard twice before. My parents took us, our siblings and all the grandchildren on a cruise to Alaska. My hairdresser said the same thing. So that might be another reason. The parents went, liked it and want to share with their kids before they are too old to go again.

Libby Riddles and Steve Hites - we too agree that they are great additions to the cruise experience. While lots of people have heard of Libby Riddles before, Steve Hites isn't a household name but he is well worth seeing. He is a wonderful storyteller and musician. See http://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-destinations/alaska-cruises/north-to-alaska/.

thanks for the names! I cannot remember names. Had an operation where that portion of my brain was removed. Great yo hear there names Libby is always a great uplifting story.

We will be taking our 9th and 10th Alaska cruises in September. So 10 out of 27 cruises will be Alaska but we have never done the land tours. There is a fabulous tour available only on a B2B north to south when you are killing the day in Whittier.

The luncheon for most traveled is nice but not something to get yourself so worked up over. Who cares about how many blues cards there are or how many black cards. Nice people come with all colors of cards.

Personally, I've never understood why people would go to Alaska on a first cruise unless they live in the NW so they don't have to deal with airfare and have some idea of what the climate is in that area. Number one, it is an expensive introduction into cruising. Number two - the weather can be temperamental. Yes, the scenery is spectacular, but not always visible - you just never know. It can be cold and damp - any time of the season. I personally love Alaska - it is my favorite place to visit, but I don't think it's for everyone and I have often wondered how many people take Alaskan cruises that fall short of their expectations and because of that, never cruise again.

Edited by mek

I went on my first cruise ever and to Alaska, last year. I did it as a solo, so my experiences might be different than most who do it as a couple or with a family. I enjoyed my cruise and had a great time (especially on my helicopter ride and glacier walk). I did find cruising as a solo extremely expensive. It seems also, that most activities on large cruises are geared towards couples. Not sure. Although I had a good time on my cruise, when I first got back, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do another cruise. After a while, when looking back at my pics and videos of Alaska (made me miss there and want to see it again). I might just save up and do a cruise on one of those Discovery Voyages cruise ships. They are smaller and more rugged where you go on smaller ships and get more in tune with nature. I did something similar of that nature (5 day cruise to the Channel Islands on a reproduction old time sailing schooner) and had a great time.

I do plan on someday traveling to Alaska again and maybe doing an inland tour. We'll see.

Edited by renaissancewoman101

I'd love to take a cruise to Alaska every year. DH isn't so keen on the idea. We've taken three so far--2003, 2010, and 2012. I'm hoping that after he retires this summer we'll be able to take a northbound cruise, have a few days on our own, then a southbound cruise on a different ship.

We met several passengers on our southbound cruise a few years ago who were doing it back-to-back with the previous northbound one. I like my idea of having a few days in between better--plus not everything will be repeated on a different ship, although many may seem like it.

We are doing a similar trip in July. First, a 7 day northbound cruise on the Coral Princess. Then a 5 day cruise tour thru Princess. Next will be two days on our own in Anchorage. Finally, a 7 day south bound cruise on the Star Princess.

We live in Va. It costs more than the price of a cruise to fly to SEA from IAD so that's probably a good reason. There is no good way to get to START! Right now its over $11.00 R/T and it's like being a Sardine in a Mailing Tube for People for 11 hrs. Who want's a vacation like that more than once??:D

Alaska really does have more first time cruisers IMO. They also have cruisers who want to see Alaska and don't see themselves as cruisers. Cruising is just a way to see Alaska.

I don't think it is due to the Princess call center in Seattle and those employees. If you go by that, most of the Mexican cruises out of San Pedro or CA coast would be mostly blue cares as Princess employees more people in CA.

My DH and I took a cruise to Alaska on the Sapphire Princess in 2004.

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the beauty of Alaska and planned to return someday.

We have not done so as of yet,because travel took us to other places for awhile and some medical issues put some constraints on travel for awhile as well.

However,things are better now,and we have resumed some travel planning.

While we are Platinum level on Princess and it is a preferred cruise line for us, I have been looking at a fourteen day cruise offered by HAL.

That itinerary includes Glacier Bay and Anchorage.

My DH has doubts about sailing on HAL because of the reputation it supposedly has

for an older demographic ( we are young - thinking sixty something year olds).

I am also considering a b2b on Princess with a north bound and south bound itinerary.

So, we may be using our Platinum cards on Princess or first-timer cards on HAL,but we are determined to return to Alaska in the near future.

It is a trip for us living on the East Coast.

I think people in the west coast seem to take more repeat Alaskan cruises. I recall a conversation we had with two women on the Alaskan cruise we took.

They lived in the Seattle area and told us they took the ships going to Alaska many times as it was convenient for them. They enjoyed being on the ships just as much or even more so than visiting the ports.

I have only gone once with no plans to repeat. I loved Alaska. It was beautiful, but frankly, I just do not like to be cold. Beautiful warm weather on land, but always cold on the ship in Alaskan waters. For me cruising is a warm weather sport.:D

Funny, we are the opposite. I really hate hot weather and especially humidity. I melt in the Caribbean islands and feel like a slug. Living here in the Bay Area and in a town that is well-known for its fog, we find Alaska warmer in the month of July than here. I've often joked that we cruise to Alaska to get warm. I do have to admit to a day or two freezing while out on deck when at sea. But then again hubby and I generally spend an easy 6-8 hours outside watching the wildlife with our binoculars.

I've also noticed a general warming up in Alaska these past few years. We generally always go in July-Aug. and I have many photos from 8-9 years ago with snow-capped mountains where there are none now. Two July's ago we watched young people in their swimsuits swimming in the water just below Mendenhall glacier. I'm sure it would have been too cold for most of us but for the hardy Alaskan young folk, it was the 4th of July and they wanted to swim.

We're look forward to the year we are retired and do Alaska like Thrak and his "bride" but for now, we still enjoy getting to the ports that can only be reached by water.

We live in Va. It costs more than the price of a cruise to fly to SEA from IAD so that's probably a good reason. There is no good way to get to START! Right now its over $1100 R/T and it's like being a Sardine in a Mailing Tube for People for 11 hrs. Who want's a vacation like that more than once??:D

Is that the pricing you found with Princess EZAir?

My DH and I took a cruise to Alaska on the Sapphire Princess in 2004.

We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the beauty of Alaska and planned to return someday.

We have not done so as of yet,because travel took us to other places for awhile and some medical issues put some constraints on travel for awhile as well.

However,things are better now,and we have resumed some travel planning.

While we are Platinum level on Princess and it is a preferred cruise line for us, I have been looking at a fourteen day cruise offered by HAL.

That itinerary includes Glacier Bay and Anchorage.

My DH has doubts about sailing on HAL because of the reputation it supposedly has

for an older demographic ( we are young - thinking sixty something year olds).

I am also considering a b2b on Princess with a north bound and south bound itinerary.

So, we may be using our Platinum cards on Princess or first-timer cards on HAL,but we are determined to return to Alaska in the near future.

It is a trip for us living on the East Coast.

I think people in the west coast seem to take more repeat Alaskan cruises. I recall a conversation we had with two women on the Alaskan cruise we took.

They lived in the Seattle area and told us they took the ships going to Alaska many times as it was convenient for them. They enjoyed being on the ships just as much or even more so than visiting the ports.

We loved our HAL cruises in Alaska, especially the Westerdam. We didn't notice there being more senior folk than on Princess. I believe that HAL's itinerary is better, too. We would cruise HAL more frequently but our cruise port is here in San Francisco so Princess offers a nice 10-day that is more convenient.

I think you are right about the east coast vs. west coast cruisers. When we lived on the east coast we went to Europe a lot and also the islands.

I believe that Princess has the best Alasaka itineraries, so why are there so few repeat cruisers on these voyages? I hear an Alaska voyage is one of the best chances to get invited to The Most Traveled lunch, because most passengers are first timers.

I know many people who have cruised to Alaska exactly once. I don't know anyone who has done so more than once. Most say once was either enough or more than enough. A few say it was fantastic (yet tellingly they have not repeated the experience). There will always be a few people who will insist that anything they have spent significant money on is great, otherwise they feel foolish. Keep in mind that many of the people I have spoken to are true nature lovers and most are also extremely well-traveled.

One person told us she preferred cruising Norway to Alaska for beauty. Another said she preferred circling South America for scenic beauty.

One would think that the major population centers around Seattle and Vancouver, combined with last minute discounting, would result in lots of locals that take repeat cruises to Alaska.

We have been considering Alaska for a long time. But there are so many other options for exploring new places as well as the option of returning to our favorite places instead. And only so much time. Would appreciate any advice or insights.

So far we have sailed out of Seattle and out of Vancouver on Alaskan voyages and loved it. I have taken two land trips to AK as well. We will be sailing out of Seattle again next year to AK. Being a lover of nature and of the wilderness, AK is like heaven to me (in the summer!). There are other places to explore however and just so much time so it is off to new adventures for now. I think our next AK trip will be out of Vancouver with a week or more in AK on a self guided tour. I have been inside the arctic circle in AK which was an experience.

Thank all of you for your insights. We have decided to return to Bermuda this year. We may still visit Alaska someday and probably only once. Right now, based on what I learned here and from talking to people I know, we do not fit into the categories of most of those who cruise Alaska, namely:

1) west coasters who can drive to the port either for their introduction to cruising or for easy access to subsequent cruises,

2) people for whom Alaska is a bucket list destination and who may or may not be avid cruisers,

3) those who are especially moved by the natural beauty of Alaska. Having not been there, I can't say for sure that we would not be in this group; however we have visited the PNW and, while we enjoyed it very much, there are other types of natural beauty that we both prefer, and

4) people who have decided to take only one cruise in their lifetimes and know that it should be an Alaska cruise. If I had only one cruise to take in a lifetime, it would not be Alaska. Alaska would not even be in the top five. Not judging anyone. We all enjoy different things.

Thank you all again!

My DH and I went on our first Alaska cruise on Princess in 1985 for our honeymoon. We loved it! Our second Alaska cruise was in 1995 for our 10th Anniversary with my parents and they loved every minute of it. We are headed back for our third Alaska cruise in May. Can't wait. Alaska is definitely worth doing at least once and I highly recommend it to anyone who is considering it.

Edited by lljost

We loved our HAL cruises in Alaska, especially the Westerdam. We didn't notice there being more senior folk than on Princess. I believe that HAL's itinerary is better, too. We would cruise HAL more frequently but our cruise port is here in San Francisco so Princess offers a nice 10-day that is more convenient.

I think you are right about the east coast vs. west coast cruisers. When we lived on the east coast we went to Europe a lot and also the islands.

I, too, like the fact that Princess sails up to AK from San Francisco; it's just a 90 minute train ride from home. Compare that to the 5,6 hour plane ride to FLL to cruise through the Carribean, it's a no-brainer, and a lot cheaper.