Tip question

We will be taking a private tour at one of our ports. Should we still tip the driver that takes us on our tour or not?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Unless the tour information specifies otherwise, it is customary to tip the driver/guide. We tip about 10% of the tour cost.

We will be taking a private tour at one of our ports. Should we still tip the driver that takes us on our tour or not?

Surely that's got to be your decision, as many will say yes as no

If it's just a driver, and not a guide...then you don't need to tip. If it's a guide and they're fun and informative...sure...$5-10 is ample. The guide can split it with the driver, if that's their custom. No need to tip a percentage of the cost.

Edited by cb at sea

Answers will run the gamut. I can only tell you what we do. If it is only a driver we give $5 for the both my wife and i, or $ 2 if I am by myself. Guide is $5 or 10 per person which ever is the closest to 10%.

I know answers will vary, I was just wondering what was appropriate. Thank you to those that responded.

I hate carrying around a bunch of ones so I usually round up to the nearest denomination in $5 increments. We are by no means wealthy and we stretch our budget to afford cruising but we just don't sweat tipping. We have been mostly fortuneate to have fantastic guides and are always impressed at the work they do.

According to Emily Post, Tour Guides should be tipped 15% of the price of the tour. Not unlike waitresses, tour guides are paid less than minimum wage with the expectation that tips will allow them to earn a reasonable days wage. Most tour guides are required to hold multiple special licenses, and pay out of their personal income for the annual renewal of these certifications. Please tip your tour guides, especially when you visit Niagara Falls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I first just google what is customary in the area we are visiting. For example some places no tips are customary whereas in others it is appreciated and even expected.

I don't overthink it.

If it is in place where tips are customary I will give a tip and how much depends. If I am not happy with the guide or the driver I might not tip but the would be the exception.

Don't overthink it. Make the decision as to whether you tip or not and how much based on your overall experience and what you think of driver and or tour guide.

Keith

I first just google what is customary in the area we are visiting. For example some places no tips are customary whereas in others it is appreciated and even expected.

I don't overthink it.

If it is in place where tips are customary I will give a tip and how much depends. If I am not happy with the guide or the driver I might not tip but the would be the exception.

Don't overthink it. Make the decision as to whether you tip or not and how much based on your overall experience and what you think of driver and or tour guide.

Keith

I come from a country where tipping isn't the norm, but what you say is pretty much what I try to do.

It isn't always easy.

The other issue is people say "you don't tip the owner" how do you know if it is the owner.

To be frank I find the whole thing confusing, as do many others, even those who live with the system, as evidenced by the number of questions here by Americans.

Things like not tipping a McDonalds (where the person serves you) but tip the dishwasher in a restaurant who you neither meet, nor provides you with a service.

So if I make a mistake to be honest I try to learn from it, but don't stress over it, in my opinion it is all just too complicated.

So I welcome auto grats on ships and wish they'd include them on excursions.

GUT2407 very well said.

On our cruise last year which included New Zealand and Australia a good friend of ours who lives in both countries explained to us about tipping which has you note is not the norm there.

Keith

GUT2407 very well said.

On our cruise last year which included New Zealand and Australia a good friend of ours who lives in both countries explained to us about tipping which has you note is not the norm there.

Keith

Tipping isn't totally foreign here akeith, as you will have noticed, just more along th lines of kep the change.

I thought I was pretty up to scratch on US tipping, but then I saw hairdressers mentioned and people you neither see, nor receive any service from who I wouldn't normally think to tip in a million years. But then there are people I have and would tip, but here in CC I am told shouldn't be tipped.

But as I said I just try to do what seems right (but I guess that's how I was raised, do unto others).

Also remember that all the trips offered through Royal or other Cruise lines are already marked up, many of the countries Royal goes to are not tipping countries. In Many of these third world countries a 10% Tip would be equal to several days total pay.

I looked at so tours being offered around Manila Philippines, that target people with airport layovers. For a four hour city tour the price was US$450.00, at that number you could hire a private driver 7 days a week for almost two months. So tipping 10% as suggested would be a week and a half of normal pay for a 12 hour day.

FYI the local price for this tour should be about 2500 PHP or $US53.00.

GUT2407, I do this same thing.

In the end, I try my best to be aware of local customs and I don't overthink or worry about it and do what I think is right too.

Sometimes, I might give more of a tip because I feel I am helping someone out. Just depends.

Even in the USA when it comes to tipping you get a range of answers. For example ask how much to give a porter who takes your luggage, or how much to tip a taxi driver or a hairdresser as you mentioned and the answer is all over the place.

Keith

The Emily Post Institute, Inc.

The Etiquette Daily

Tipping on Tour: Is it customary to tip a tour bus driver/ tour guide?

Posted on October 5, 2015 by epi

PREVIOUS ARTICLE NEXT ARTICLE

Q. Is it customary to tip a tour bus driver and/or tour guide? If so, how much? We are taking a senior class (approx. 44 people to New York for 3 days, using the same tour guide and bus driver all three days)

A. Yes, you do tip. You tip a guide on a short bus tour ten to twenty percent of the cost of the tour, upon the completion of the trip, although you do not tip tour guides at national parks and other government sites. On a prolonged tour with no built-in gratuity, the guide and a separate driver are each tipped $5 to $10 per passenger, depending on the length of the tour.

FacebookTwitterPinterestLinkedInShare

Posted in Everyday, Lifestyle Topics Q&A Archive

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment

Name *

Email *

Website

RECENT POSTS

Tipping Over Easy: Breakfast vs. Lunch

Baby Gifts & Thank-yous: Timing the birth announcement

Money as a Wedding Gift: What is an appropriate amount?

Gifts for a Second Marriage: What kind of gift is appropriate to give on the occasion of a couple’s second wedding?

Open Thread

Bridal Shower Guest List: Is it okay to invite people to the bridal shower who are not guests at the wedding?

Open Thread

Wedding Gifts for the Established: How do we ask for money instead of home wares as wedding gifts?

ARCHIVES

► 2016 (164)

► 2015 (567)

► 2014 (727)

► 2013 (526)

► 2012 (584)

► 2011 (656)

► 2010 (552)

► 2009 (406)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Steveweese. Yes, No, Maybe.

As someone said, don't overthink this. If you have a great time and the driver/guide is good, of course. If not, then not. We did a tour in Dominica last week with Levi Bumpling. FANTASTIC. He was our guide and our driver. The tour could not have been any better. He's a fantastic guide! I gave him a very good tip. I felt he deserved it. That's how you need to decide. Does the person, in your mind, deserve a tip. And if so, how big is concurrent with how much you enjoyed the person you are tipping. I will advise that you do carry some cash so you can tip if you want. :)

Edited by papaflamingo