Cost of taxi from FLL to Port Everglades and return

Hello everyone,

Wanted to share our taxi experience and perhaps learn for future cruises as we are/were not sure how taxis charge (that is, meter or flat fee).

We were a party of 6 with 6 checked luggage and a small carry on each. We were going to take two separate taxis but the guy in charge of taxis at FLL said we would fit into a van.

He got us into a van and off we go. This driver used the meter and when we arrived at the Port 12:30, there was traffic. Meter went to $20.10 plus $3.50 extra. Paid him that plus tips.

On the return, the guy in charge of taxis at the Port put us in a SUV. There was a meter up front where I sat. But there was also a meter at my left ear (I could not see it but could see him punching into it). My daughter later tells me that when he started the ride, he cleared the meter by my left ear. It was not running. Then when we arrived at FLL, he punched in $40.10 into the meter by my ear and the cost of $40.10 showed up in the other meter on the dash. We did not argue and just paid him.

Same number of people and luggage. And no traffic on the return trip at 10:30am.

Should taxis be metered in Fort Lauderdale. Just wanted to know for future travels. I know it may be different in different cities. Some a fiat fee and some by meter.

If you sense a scam try to snap a photo of their taxi licence number. You might be able to use it later if you make a complaint to the provider company. The large taxis companies such as 777-7777 have never provided us a problem.

I always check to see if the meter the is running when we leave the ship. One time it wasn't and the driver demanded a larger amount of money, double the normal, when we reached the terminal. I knew something was coming/up so when we were out of the taxi, and luggage in our hands I gave him $20 and told him to pound salt.

If he raised a problem or got angry there are lots of police right there to resolve the problem for us. He said something not very nice while we walked into the terminal and he drove off. Karma will catch up to him.

The only bad experiences we have had with Taxi's have been in Ft. Lauderdale. Why ? I wish I knew. It's Uber for me now every where.

Same here. Several times we have been directed to a van where they quote a per person price. Dead givaway that it's not a taxi.

Same thing happened with me. The sherif (or other cop-like person) directed us into the suv. Four people, four bags. I tried to argue with the driver but he wasn't responding. Disappointing, but not worth disputing it. They must know that.

On our 3/26/16 Oasis cruise, we were a party of 9 of which there were 3 small children. When I inquired on the internet for private vans, the cost was approximately $80 without tips. From past experience, I recommended that each group would take taxis as it is only a 10 minute ride. We averaged about $18 per and it included tip. On the way back, my SIL (a rookie) was steered to a van and the cost was $11 per (clearly indicated) and it did not include the smallest child. Had to share with 3 other riders (a bit cramped). So bottom line was $88 + tip. Why I did not question my SIL choice, I don't know. Taxi is the way to go, as there are plenty available and clearly metered.

Is Uber allowed for pick-up at the port to FLL?

YUP! I have used both Uber and Lyft to go from the port to the airport in FLL. $10, $12 MAX! On Serenade now and will be using Lyft/Uber to go from the port to MIA (Cheaper flight). MIA to the port last week was $35, including a tip!

Edited by sambdking

On March 13 our fare from FLL to Port Everglades was $12 plus $3 airport fee (applicable only to fares FROM the airport). When getting a taxi from Port Everglades to FLL the following week, the driver said his meter did not work and it would be $20. I told him it should only be $12 and he said if we wanted to pay $15 that would be alright. A sign in the taxi clearly states if the driver does not use the meter, you ride for free. When I got home I relayed the story along with a photo of the meter to Yellow Cab. They apologized and stated the driver is not allowed to drive the taxi with a non-functioning meter. They refunded our fare.

YUP! I have used both Uber and Lyft to go from the port to the airport in FLL. $10, $12 MAX! On Serenade now and will be using Lyft/Uber to go from the port to MIA (Cheaper flight). MIA to the port last week was $35, including a tip!

Thank you!

Airfares from Newark are outrageous (2X what we paid for our Feb. 6th from FFL) for our Navigator cruise from Miami Port on Feb 3rd, 2017. Was investigating multi-city itinerary and was wondering the time frame to go from FFL to Port of Miami.

we went out to taxi line, and got in a minivan. We were charged $35 for 5 persons with luggage. I asked the driver why so much and he said it was b/c it was a van and they are a special rate. I asked if the fare was metered and he said special rate and was very vague. I kept asking questions. My kids and DS all said we got ripped off when we got out and that they had seen him doing something with a meter (DH suspects turning that amount into the taxi company and pocketing the rest). Seems like a systematic thing. I am surprised, esp. since the minvans/SUVs were all in a special row and it looked very organized and official.

Edited by elaine5

That's what I suspect happened to the OP. Wasn't a taxi

When we came out of the terminal the first line of vehicles (before crossing the road) are the shuttle vans. We said no to the shuttle. The shuttle guy said, ok then get taxi there....he pointed across the street. Crossed the pedestrian crosswalk to the taxi line. The first taxi in line was a SUV. Pretty certain it was a taxi.

Oh well. Lesson learnt. It was pointless to argue. With so much luggage it just was not worth it to make a scene. Especially when we were not certain if it was to be on meter or a flat rate.

we went out to taxi line, and got in a minivan. We were charged $35 for 5 persons with luggage. I asked the driver why so much and he said it was b/c it was a van and they are a special rate. I asked if the fare was metered and he said special rate and was very vague. I kept asking questions. My kids and DS all said we got ripped off when we got out and that they had seen him doing something with a meter (DH suspects turning that amount into the taxi company and pocketing the rest). Seems like a systematic thing. I am surprised, esp. since the minvans/SUVs were all in a special row and it looked very organized and official.

I know! It all looked so official. I know that there is usually a surcharge for minivan/SUV. That's why we decided not to make a scene as we did not know what he surcharge is.

There are a couple of different options from ship back to FLL, and the vans and SUVs are quite a bit more expensive than a metered taxi.

I've done the pricier option as I wanted to pick up my rental car well before the cruise ship pax arrived as we do walk offs from ships, and just paid it--even though it was more than the taxi. However it was not what I considered a crazy price. Just a lot higher than a taxi.