Upgrading once onboard

Les Picantins

Is it a possibility on Oceania to upgrade, once onboard, to an unsold suite for a discounted rate? I have experienced this practice on airlines, but have never enquired on a ship.

AND no you wont at all. All the top suites go months before sailing so do all the perks. Too I have never seen a recognized int air line do this,,,maybe in the discounts...

For the best deal as outlined go with an agent All the upgrades are sent to the agents,,,not a direct buyer If anything fares go up just before sailing

Actually, as recently as January, my husband and I were booked on Air France from CDG round trip St Martin. Going we reserved in Superior Economy (poor man's business class) and business class for the return flight. Before check in at Charles de Gaulle, we enquired with ticketing regarding an upgrade to business. We were able to pay an additional 420€ per person for the last 2 remaining seats. The savings was approximately 1200€.

On the Seabourn board, I have read several times that passengers have received emails shortly before sailing with upgrade proposals.

I'm considering a sailing on Oceania in the very near future and am planning on booking a PH category. On this sailing, the Vista Suite is still available. I would obviously never count on an upgrade, but I would like to be prepared financially for the possible opportunity.

Too I have never seen a recognized int air line do this,,,maybe in the discounts...

Common practice in Europe.....Not only do Air France do it, but BA proactively offer paid airport upgrades if seats are available on the day. From personal experience I have known it happen with Virgin and TAP also.

On the Seabourn board, I have read several times that passengers have received emails shortly before sailing with upgrade proposals.

I'm considering a sailing on Oceania in the very near future and am planning on booking a PH category. On this sailing, the Vista Suite is still available. I would obviously never count on an upgrade, but I would like to be prepared financially for the possible opportunity.

The situation you describe is called an upsell (not an upgrade). It can happen if the VS remains open but the offer will be made through the TAs on a first come - first served basis (not once onboard).

You may want to inform your TA that you are amenable to such an offer (if it happens) and let TA know the upper limit you are willing to pay for this.

That way the TA can act upon the offer instantly. These offers get filled very fast.

Good luck.

Edited by Paulchili

Common practice in Europe.....Not only do Air France do it' date=' but BA proactively offer paid airport upgrades if seats are available on the day. From personal experience I have known it happen with Virgin and TAP also.[/quote']

Happens here all the time as well.

Boarding area screens show a list of people on the upgrade list (based on their status, etc)

Common practice in Europe.....Not only do Air France do it' date=' but BA proactively offer paid airport upgrades if seats are available on the day. From personal experience I have known it happen with Virgin and TAP also.[/quote']

KLM does it too

Very unlikely. Most suites will be filled with up sells if they were not sold in the first place

Seems I remember some story that someone was upgraded to a Vista or Owner's Suite on an Alaska cruise or something. :eek:

Maybe they were a VIP.

That sounds better than a paid upsell.

Happens here all the time as well.

Boarding area screens show a list of people on the upgrade list (based on their status, etc)

Thats not selling the seats, its upgrading loyal members of the airline... I was upgraded as a premier on ual BUT OBSERVED a non FF GUY ASKING IF HE COULD... tOLD NO BY THE GATE.....

Why I DONT FEEL this would work is because in your cruise agreement you appoint an agent, to represent you. After that you cant go to the line and even talk to them...gotta have your agent do it. With you standing on the pier asking for an up grade, you must remember you precluded your self as your representative.....Yoy cant just apply situations that at the molment suit you

Thats not selling the seats, its upgrading loyal members of the airline... I was upgraded as a premier on ual BUT OBSERVED a non FF GUY ASKING IF HE COULD... tOLD NO BY THE GATE.....

Why I DONT FEEL this would work is because in your cruise agreement you appoint an agent, to represent you. After that you cant go to the line and even talk to them...gotta have your agent do it. With you standing on the pier asking for an up grade, you must remember you precluded your self as your representative.....Yoy cant just apply situations that at the molment suit you

Nothing to do with loyalty. Lots of airlines sell off business class/first at checkin or the gate. Alaska is a good example of a North American airline that does it. Opens up 24 hours before the flight.

Dan, more than once on your chosen airline, UAL I've been booked coach and offered a paid upgrade at the kiosk while checking in for the flight at the airport and this has occurred more often in the last year.

You don't see this as you are already flying First with points or coach with points and it has only happened to me with paid flights domestic in coach.

Dan, more than once on your chosen airline, UAL I've been booked coach and offered a paid upgrade at the kiosk while checking in for the flight at the airport and this has occurred more often in the last year.

You don't see this as you are already flying First with points or coach with points and it has only happened to me with paid flights domestic in coach.

After moving back from Hawaii,, where you just about need a flight to go to the store, I and down to maybe 4 to 5 flights a year and those almost all international. For domestic and cruises I am switching to AA because they courted me. Another reason is on United they have discontinued even music or any entertainment with the wyfy crap.. Even in first class domestic. This is akin to going to a restaurant and having to bring your own silverware and plate.... After retiring I wanted nothing to do with "being in communication" 24/7/365. I dont own anything mobil, tablet, cell or anything that resembles them... I JUST dont, for me see the need other than to be another obsessive lemming texting and devoted to their little lithium powered soul mate... And I am doing just fine for over a decade...and in that time haven't found a situation that it would have been critical

Welcome to the 21st Century.

I can navigate, and ships across the Pacific, aircraft any where.. .but I just dont buy into the hype fostered sold not because of need but by smart marketers who sold a public that they had to have it.

Create a need, then a dependency....wait that sounds like what drug dealers do !!! Could it be? And funny, the places where I go, that you might find it a good thing, have no coverage or even avaiability....false senses are thus fostered .

Seriously, I know tech and when its applicable and necessary. So far, for the past 15 years its smoke and mirrors that aesthetically and even to an extent culturally is revolting to me.... I don't buy the pyramid of you must and now now,morphing to Me..Me..Me....have this. You must be able to connect world wide fast fast fast.... every body is doing it... dont you want to look smart? It isnt the demands necessary its the ideas promoted by PT Barnum...under that guise

And there we have it...based on self acceptance and not looking like you not cool....

Edited by Hawaiidan

Seems I remember some story that someone was upgraded to a Vista or Owner's Suite on an Alaska cruise or something. :eek:

Maybe they were a VIP.

That sounds better than a paid upsell.

I had a VS and was "upsold to an OS" to Alaska last May. The most wonderful trip I have taken.

How and when were you offered the upsell?

Well, that depends on availability. On our Baltic cruise last August we went from a balcony to a Penthouse a few months prior to departing. Then 3 or 4 days before embarkation we went from Penthouse to Vista. Both of these were upsells not upgrades so a small fee (relatively) was paid.

We're using Oceania airfare for our Med cruise this summer as Multi-city airfare to Europe can be expensive. In our case it was almost twice as much as the Oceania allowance ($1K). After confirming flights with Oceania's air department I called Delta to inquire about upgrading to Business class. I was told we had to contact Oceania for pricing. We all know that's not going to be cheap.... We were however able to upgrade to Economy comfort through Delta.

Good Luck!