Celebrity-Princess questions

sprint180

For those of you that have traveled on both Celebrity and Princess I was wondering if you could answer a question.

My husband and I are 46 and 47. A few years ago we traveled on Princess and liked it very much. However, I thought it was a bit docile, for lack of a better word. We were definitely some of the youngest on the ship. That being said. I was wondering if Celebrity had maybe a younger or active clientele. I don't need wild, as I said we really enjoyed Princess. Just a bit more "fun"

Thanks

Vicki

Edited by sprint180

For those of you that have traveled on both Celebrity and Princess I was wondering if you could answer a question.

My husband and I are 46 and 47. A few years ago we traveled on Princess and liked it very much. However, I thought it was a bit docile, for lack of a better word. We were definitely some of the youngest on the ship. That being said. I was wondering if Celebrity had maybe a younger or active clientele. I don't need wild, as I said we really enjoyed Princess. Just a bit more "fun"

Thanks

Vicki

You'll find similar demographics on Celebrity and Princess. We've found later nightlife better overall on Princess, but overall - they cater to very similar audiences. One week cruised will have - overall - younger crowds on both and more energy, especially at night. Linger cruises will have older and lower late night energy cruisers.. We're 38 & 42 respectively., just off a 2 week sailing on Eclipse and having done a 15-nighter on Island Princess ending in January., and for what it's worth, Elite on Princess and Elite Plus on Celebrity.....Overall, better marks from us to Princess for later night action - live music till 11:30 or 12, disco open later, piano bar runs a little later, etc. Shows are great on both, but we much prefer our shows after dinner (Princess) vs before dinner (Celebrity) - this is for late seating traditional dining time which we prefer. Early dining has their show after dinner on both lines... If you enjoyed Princess, you'll enjoy Celebrity and vice versa. Overall, more alike than different.

If you want a more active cruise experience, consider Royal Caribbean. Beautiful ships, and lots more active options and a younger crowd overall - which does usually come with more kids too, but it's very easy to find kid-friendly zones, especially as they have a lot to keep them busy too. We love Z Oasis class when we want a more active, party cruise but still with great service and Food...

My wife and I cruised on both Celebrity and Princess and we are in our late 40's.Average age on our Princess cruise was 80 and Celebrity was 50-60.Princess had tons of motorized scooters and we saw none on Celebrity.

We have sailed on both and feel that they are very similar. Although I am glad I took both a Princess and a Celebrity cruise in order to see their differences from other cruise lines, I personally like more activities than I found on either one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Based on our experience, I do not believe that you will find any differences in ages generally. The age spread of the passengers depend more on cruise length (longer = older, typically), destination, and specific travel months (or even specific weeks). We are both 64 now, but started sailing Celebrity and Princess in out 40's.

Thanks

Vicki

You'll find similar demographics on Celebrity and Princess. We've found later nightlife better overall on Princess, but overall - they cater to very similar audiences. One week cruised will have - overall - younger crowds on both and more energy, especially at night. Linger cruises will have older and lower late night energy cruisers.. We're 38 & 42 respectively., just off a 2 week sailing on Eclipse and having done a 15-nighter on Island Princess ending in January., and for what it's worth, Elite on Princess and Elite Plus on Celebrity.....Overall, better marks from us to Princess for later night action - live music till 11:30 or 12, disco open later, piano bar runs a little later, etc. Shows are great on both, but we much prefer our shows after dinner (Princess) vs before dinner (Celebrity) - this is for late seating traditional dining time which we prefer. Early dining has their show after dinner on both lines... If you enjoyed Princess, you'll enjoy Celebrity and vice versa. Overall, more alike than different.

We agree with this last poster.

The age demographic will mostly change with the length of the cruise (and sometimes the time of the year - early January cruises seem to cater to a much older crowd).

The last couple of years we've sailed B2B Celebrity then Princess cruises (to stay out of Michigan in the winter) and I've found a LOT more evening entertainment on Princess.

(We've never sailed Royal Caribbean so I deleted that part of the last quote).

Thanks

Vicki

I have been on both numerous times. Although I prefer Celebrity I would never describe Celebrity as younger, active, or more "fun". Entertainment and night time activities are better on Princess. Many other things for us are better on Celebrity, but that was not really your question. I would not hesitate to cruise on either one.

Since longer cruises do tend to attract an older crowd, something to consider is how often Princess sells their 7 day cruises as part of longer itineraries. They like to combine East and Western Caribbean routes and sell them as 14+ day trips. It's my understanding that a good portion of the passengers are on for the full itinerary.

I'm totally prepared for us (early/mid 30's) to be amongst the youngest on our next Celebrity cruise but that is just fine with us.

For the poster that have said the age demographic on Princess was 80, I'm curious to know what itinerary and cruise date they were on. I've been on over 25 Princess cruisers and have never seen the age demographic that high. I've been on 1 or 2 cruises where there were a lot of walkers and scooters but that was purely because of the time of year and the cruise itinerary and it was in no way the norm.

To me, Celebrity seems to have more couples and Princess more families, but again, that is itinerary and time of sailing dependent.

Going on our first Princess Cruise at the end of this month, so interested in this thread as well.

Not long off The Celebrity Millennium, all sorts of ages from 20s to 80s, no children, but that was probably time of year and destination (south East Asia), not many activities, but we spent time relaxing and making new friends!

The only issue we had was the 'late' night entertainment finished far too early, but a word in the cruise directors ear, meant that the DJ carried on later on the second half of The Cruise.

Would go again in a heartbeat.

For the poster that have said the age demographic on Princess was 80, I'm curious to know what itinerary and cruise date they were on. I've been on over 25 Princess cruisers and have never seen the age demographic that high. I've been on 1 or 2 cruises where there were a lot of walkers and scooters but that was purely because of the time of year and the cruise itinerary and it was in no way the norm.

To me, Celebrity seems to have more couples and Princess more families, but again, that is itinerary and time of sailing dependent.

I think when you are in your 40's it feels like the age is 80+, even if it is only 70+. I was on a Princess cruise in February a few years ago out of Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and it seemed like everyone was about 80.

Just got off celebrity Equinox and cruised on Caribbean princess last year. Celebrity was a MUCH older crowd and way less activities than princess. We are in our early 50s and we felt like we were some of the youngest on the ship. There were a lot less music venues and by 11:00 pm there was just one place left open. We will go back to princess next time.

Well I'm glad I asked as the article I read said Celebrity had a younger crowd then Princess. I'm seeing Celebrity isn't like I thought it was.

In all of their advertising they are aiming towards attracting a younger crowd but they somehow haven't made the connection that that means more activities in the evening (and LATER in the evening).

It was our only complaint on our February cruise and I left a note to that effect on board and also noted it in our post cruise survey.

You'd think it would be intuitive but........... :confused:

I just posted a review on my first Celebrity cruise which was on the Silhouette 3/27 sailing...you can check it out if you're interested. One of our biggest disappointments was the activities/entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app