Reformed alcohol smuggler seeks methods to drink cheaply

Babyblu, that's exactly why I chose to buy the drink package, it covers all drinks including water.. I think it was $57 per day... 20% off... once you get a morning special coffee, morning mimosa, or fresh juice, morning water, a drink for lunch, after lunch drink and water, during dinner a drink, and a couple drinks after dinner... that pays for it.. heck,: I don't go to bed until sunrise...

This nails it........BOTTLED WATER was the tipping point for us. On our cruise on Navigator in January, I got the Premium Package, others got the Ultimate Package. Premium in the end was a better deal, but the amount of bottled water we drank each day was astonishing and its included in the package. A bottle of water on board is $2.25. We would grab a bottle at almost every bar we passed. Drank many while walking around, but also built a nice stash in the cabin. One in the morning when you wake, one in the bathroom for teeth brushing and such, take one to the gym each morning, one at the bedside table each night, SEVERAL at each excursion. It's not an exaggeration that we each drank 5-9 bottles of water a day. I would NEVER drink the water out of the cabin tap on a cruise ship. So the math is simple....

5 bottles of water @ $2.25 ea = $11.25

3 mixed or frozen drinks @ $12 ea = 36.00 (I'll have at least 2 at dinner each nite)

2 poolside beers @ $6 ea = 12.00

............................................$59.25

18% gratuity 10.67

$69.92

Delta the Bottled water to 9 a day adds another $10.62

So you can see, if all you do is look at it as the liquor you're missing another big daily cost.

Edited by zdad59

And charging $12/drink + tip isn't robbery, right?:rolleyes:

Don't bother. Trust me. You're wasting your time. Discussions about sharing drinks turn into Petty University around here and the only class offered is Morality 101.

Some people just like to waste energy allowing things like this to bother them cause they don't have any real problems to worry about. There's no other logical explanation for the outrage this topic causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by AwesomeO81

Don't bother. Trust me. You're wasting your time. Discussions about sharing drinks turn into Petty University around here and the only class offered is Morality 101.

Some people just like to waste energy allowing things like this to bother them cause they don't have any real problems to worry about. There's no other logical explanation for the outrage this topic causes.

You seem to have really deep and long-standing knowledge of this board and how topics play out for someone who just joined Cruise Critic this week.

:rolleyes:

I would think Royal would prefer for a cruiser to buy a package and share a few drinks then have a pax bootleg aboard alcohol and they make nothing?

Theft or no theft, with the money I spent on this trip, I owed it to myself to cut a corner. It harmed no one expect the morality police.

There's other ways to cut corners besides theft. Do like honest people do, if you can't afford to pay for drinks, don't drink.

It's actions like this that drives the prices up to where they are now. I don't buy drinks anymore because I refuse to pay for freeloaders drinks. Why pay at all, why don't you take the drink of one of your fellow passengers when they aren't looking? Stealing is stealing.

I'm in the same boat as you (so to speak), I will be travelling with my aunt and although we both like a drink it really only is "a" drink so having an alcoholic drink package is wasted on me. What I have decided to do is buy the Royal Replenish so I can have fresh OJ at breakfast, enough lattes to keep me buzzing, bottled water for port days and lovely frozen mocktails for by the pool. I will take my two bottles of wine which we will have with dinner, attend the Captain's welcome to have my little glass of champagne and the welcome back party for my cocktail. Other than this I suspect I might by the odd vodka to put into my mocktail

Hope this helps

And charging $12/drink + tip isn't robbery, right?:rolleyes:

The excuses people come up with to justify stealing are hilarious 😀 RCI is a business and offers a product. The terms are very clear, there is no grey area about sharing, and no one is twisting your arm and forcing you to participate.

Pot calling kettle. Some people just like to waste energy riling up the crowd blathering on how they beat the system. :D

Are these advertised in the compass ? or anywhere else ?

The two times we have seen them on Vision, they were advertised in the compass, at bars, and mentioned by bar staff.

I don't think anyone called it "the worst thing in the world." But that's not a very good criteria for determining what is appropriate. It's sort of like going to a buffet restaurant, paying for only one person, and having others join you in eating, without paying. That's not the worst thing in the world, either, but it's dishonest and a form of theft. There are, of course, worse things in the world than dishonesty and theft, so if your goal in life is to not be the worst person in the world, you're meeting expectations.

I would say its more like going to a buffet but bringing your wife who doesn't really eat a lot, but while you are up there piling food on top of food that is likely going to end up in the trash, you see something your wife likes and grab it.

If they were both drinkers i would say each get a package. but since he stated he was only going to have a couple a day himself, and his wife 1 or 2, there is nothing wrong with it. Is it bending the rules a little? sure.

I'm sure royal would never be ok with this, even though they are making less money on the guy who buys the package and drinks 12 by the pool.

so if your goal in life is to be that annoying judgy person in a thread about how to save money on drinks, congrats, you are meeting expectations

The excuses people come up with to justify stealing are hilarious 😀 RCI is a business and offers a product. The terms are very clear, there is no grey area about sharing, and no one is twisting your arm and forcing you to participate.

And its royals job to enforce their rules. I'm assuming everyone in this thread who is blasting people for cutting a few corners on getting their wife a drink or 2 has never sped on the highway

I would say its more like going to a buffet but bringing your wife who doesn't really eat a lot, but while you are up there piling food on top of food that is likely going to end up in the trash, you see something your wife likes and grab it.

If they were both drinkers i would say each get a package. but since he stated he was only going to have a couple a day himself, and his wife 1 or 2, there is nothing wrong with it. Is it bending the rules a little? sure.

I'm sure royal would never be ok with this, even though they are making less money on the guy who buys the package and drinks 12 by the pool.

so if your goal in life is to be that annoying judgy person in a thread about how to save money on drinks, congrats, you are meeting expectations

I just said I found all the excuses and justifications funny. That applies to yours, as well. My wife doesn't eat a lot, but if we go to a buffet together, we both pay for it. It's not that complicated.

I just said I found all the excuses and justifications funny. That applies to yours, as well. My wife doesn't eat a lot, but if we go to a buffet together, we both pay for it. It's not that complicated.

And thats all they are too. Entitlement at its best rearing its ugly head. The offenders could not care less they are making it rough on those who actually follow the rules. Before you know it, Royal will likely go back to making all adults over 21 in the same cabin purchase the package again because of the thieves

My name is Jayson, and I'm a cruise ship alcohol smuggler.

[Hi Jayson!]

I used to sneak alcohol onto cruises, but I've come to the realization that I'm too old for that now. I'm not a poor college student anymore, and I haven't been for a long, long time. However, I've kept my frugal ways. So I'm looking for some suggestions on how to pay less than full price to drink some cocktails.

For context:

-I'll be sailing on Independence of the Seas for four nights later this month.

-I'm a Gold C&A member, reaching Platinum mid-cruise (not that it changes while on board anyway).

-I prefer cocktails and simple mixed drinks over beer and wine.

-I won't drink enough to justify the package. Oh, it'd be close, but there's no room for profit there. At best, it'd be break-even.

-Two-for-ones are good, since I'm traveling with my wife.

-Three-for-ones are not, since I'm also traveling with my young son.

-I know about the drink of the day (and to skip the souvenir cup) and the champagne art auctions (not that desperate).

With all that said, what other ways can I find some discounted drinks on board? Will there be happy hours or similar promotions? Is there anftything else I'm not considering?

I thank you very much for your replies. That's one area I'm not frugal.

Hi Jayson, it sounds like the 10 drink card us your best bet. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason which ships they sell them on or at what point in the cruise. The good news is that they are 100% shareable and you can buy more than one.

Very profound comment for a new poster .

49091 smug comments and counting
Oh how perfect . :) Some have to comment on everything .

And thats all they are too. Entitlement at its best rearing its ugly head. The offenders could not care less they are making it rough on those who actually follow the rules. Before you know it, Royal will likely go back to making all adults over 21 in the same cabin purchase the package again because of the thieves

Just depends on how widespread it is, I think. If most people act like adults, I think Royal will continue to treat them that way, rather than going back to treating them like children. It's a little too much to expect everyone to act like an adult, though.

Edited by Paul65

Just depends on how widespread it is, I think. If most people act like adults, I think Royal will continue to treat them that way, rather than going back to treating them like children. It's a little too much to expect everyone to act like an adult, though.

Yikes, hopefully you don't let your kids drink

Hi Jayson, it sounds like the 10 drink card us your best bet. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason which ships they sell them on or at what point in the cruise. The good news is that they are 100% shareable and you can buy more than one.

Amen! If these are available, I'm buying a pair for my wife and me, and I don't have to sweat any of the BOGOs, drinks of the day, or morality conundrums. RCI gets $170 from me and everyone goes home happy.

I just don't get the sense they offer these cards on four night voyages. It begs the question though - do they ACCEPT the cards on all ships? Meaning if I were to buy one on eBay or something, would the ship honor the card even if they weren't for sale on board?

...do they ACCEPT the cards on all ships? Meaning if I were to buy one on eBay or something, would the ship honor the card even if they weren't for sale on board?

I would not depend on one ship taking another ship's card.