Ocean view balcony pros and cons

hungan

Hi all, this is our's second cruise and first on the balcony. Our first was just an ocean view on the freedom but his time around with the balcony on the oasis and I am wondering if there's anything we should know before we sail. We are with our 2 kids ages 13 and 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Can't think of many downsides to a balcony stateroom.

I believe the air conditioning goes off if the balcony door is open.

You may get a huge blast of air through the stateroom if you open the balcony door and stateroom door at the same time.

Enjoy, you will probably be spoiled for anything without a balcony from now on.:)

Edited by clarea

Hi all, this is our's second cruise and first on the balcony. Our first was just an ocean view on the freedom but his time around with the balcony on the oasis and I am wondering if there's anything we should know before we sail. We are with our 2 kids ages 13 and 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Emphasize to your kids that they need to keep their hands away from the door edge, to NOT use the edge to hold it open or to close it. Those doors are heavy, and can close on fingers :( Use the handle :)

A balcony on cruise ship is one of the most relaxing place's I can think of. Great place for sail away, sailing into port and just sitting with your feet up reading or watching the ocean go by. Enjoy it! As someone else said be careful of the door and watch having your balcony door and cabin door open at the same time. It can create a big wind tunnel. We also booked a balcony on our second cruise after having an oceanview on our first. We got hooked and haven't booked anything else since.. Beware it is addicting.. lol

Happy Cruising

Enjoy it! If the ac may be affected bring a magnet to stick on the door. Sounds like your kiddos are old enough for balcony responsibilities. The poster who wrote about watching your fingers in the balcony door may sound silly- but seriously watch that until you get accustomed to how hard that door sucks closed. Oh- and have fun!!!!

A balcony accommodation gives you several things. A balcony or veranda accommodation offers you a wonderful place to retreat to if you are in search of a break form all the activity going on on the public decks. If you are on the correct side of the ship viewing a port departure or arrival can be fun but for me top side is best to really enjoy that ritual. You'll get more light plus the illusion of more space with a balcony. I say illusion because the space occupied by your balcony would have been interior space if the balcony was not there. Your indoor living space will actually be smaller unless you have what is called a 'French' balcony which is basically a sliding door through the side of the ship with an outside rail and no furniture. I'm a big fan of those 'French' balconies but not many ships have them. The three Windstar 'Yachts' have them and I'll pony up the extra cost to have one when cruising on those ships. As mentioned in earlier posts, don't forget the sound and smell of the ocean. That last one is a big plus for me as I've sailed all my life. Maybe it's time for you to give that sliding door a pull?

We are among the group which prefers oceanview. To us, there is more light in the room from a window which is not surrounded by four walls (the balcony), and being on a lower deck, we enjoy being closer to the ocean. A personal preference.

That said, may I emphasize making sure your kids know that they must never sit on or lean over the balcony rail, or otherwise put themselves at risk out there.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Even if you don't use the balcony to sit around for very long, it's nice to have it to walk directly outside from your cabin whenever you wish. Also, seems to make the cabin feel larger. Children seldom find the balcony to be all that enjoyable for very long. ;)

The only possible downside is being too far forward, more chance of feeling ship movement in rough seas. I'd shoot for close to amidships.

I've cruised 3 times...all three balcony cabins, all 3 forward. Never had any issues with the movement, and I'm prone to motion sickness. I've always saved a few bucks going with forward cabins.

Other than the price, I see NO cons to balconies!! Nothing like waking up in the morning, pulling back the blinds and seeing the ocean (or port) and being able to just step right out there. It's awesome.

"I've cruised 3 times...all three balcony cabins, all 3 forward. Never had any issues with the movement, and I'm prone to motion sickness. I've always saved a few bucks going with forward cabins".

Book a trans Atlantic or trans Pacific cruise and report back. Those two large bodies of water can [every now and then] get pretty angry and if they do you'll be miserable being forward - even if you're not prone to motion sickness. Like you I'll book forward and save but I'm not prone to being sea sick (even sailing in Typhoons in the South Pacific) and don't have to worry about the 'ride'. Those that don't know their limits are best off booking a cabin (any cabin) midships until they know how good their sea legs are.

"I've cruised 3 times...all three balcony cabins, all 3 forward. Never had any issues with the movement, and I'm prone to motion sickness. I've always saved a few bucks going with forward cabins".

Book a trans Atlantic or trans Pacific cruise and report back. Those two large bodies of water can [every now and then] get pretty angry and if they do you'll be miserable being forward - even if you're not prone to motion sickness. Like you I'll book forward and save but I'm not prone to being sea sick (even sailing in Typhoons in the South Pacific) and don't have to worry about the 'ride'. Those that don't know their limits are best off booking a cabin (any cabin) midships until they know how good their sea legs are.

We were in an aft facing cabin on the Epic for a TA - 50 foot seas. We loved the ride...the public areas on the ship were pretty empty - especially the MDR!

Having sailed with kids around those ages, there is a really great pro to having a balcony not many think of, especially those who only sail 2 in a room!

It is a great space to use while everyone gets ready/dressed! Hate trying to turn around and get everything on for formal night dinner in that tiny bathroom? Send the kids onto the balcony for 5 mins and use the main cabin to get dressed! The same thing can go for everyone there not just the parents getting dressed also!

I also tend to use it to make sure my kids at that age were "home" by their curfew. They caught on to this trick pretty early, but it did always make them wonder if we were on the balcony at night when they were suppose to be in the room when they got back. :D

Also if your kids are anything like my teens, they like to sleep, and sleep and sleep and sleep! It was so much easier being able to get up early myself, go grab coffee and a light breakfast and bring it back to the balcony. Then I could wake up in peace and enjoy sailing into port, while not having to constantly look at the time to make sure everyone got up to get going out for the day.

... plus the illusion of more space with a balcony. I say illusion because the space occupied by your balcony would have been interior space if the balcony was not there. Your indoor living space will actually be smaller unless you have what is called a 'French' balcony which is basically a sliding door through the side of the ship with an outside rail and no furniture.

This is only true on some ships. A true balcony does not always reduce the interior stateroom square footage. The OP should check dimensions on the ships he/she is interested in sailing.