A Viking Conundrum

happytalk44

We booked the Grand European river cruise with Viking on Oct 2, 2015. Our booking is for June 25, 2017 on the Viking Bestla. At his moment the Bestla is not listed as a ship in their inventory nor is our date for sailing listed in their 2017 sailings. To this minute we have been unable to find out ONE piece of information as to this discrepancy. Please bear in mind that Viking has the money for our deposit and insurance and we are unable to find out any information on this subject. Please don't suggest I deal with my TA on this subject as that has been done repeatedly to no avail. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated other than canceling the cruise and losing our insurance payment. Thank you

I did some research and all I could find is that currently the Viking Bestla is in Vienna. It's possible Viking hasn't assigned it for 2017 yet, but like you, I didn't find any Grand European cruise departing on 6/25/17. Is it possible that you got the date wrong? (I know that sounds condescending, but "stuff" happens). I was primarily looking for news of any accident or problem with the Bestla but I found nothing. It's one of their longships and it's still listed on their list of ships.

I understand your frustration with TA, but have you tried calling Viking directly?

I know Viking keeps tabs on what's posted here and sometimes they will respond to a post. I think it's a little premature to worry about canceling the trip....OTOH I would hesitate to pay in full without answers to your questions.

This may sound weird but on one of my river cruises -- I saw a Viking ship that was not listed on the US website. I did some research and the ship was marketed to a different country and not sold to US passengers. The other possibility is that your ship is being chartered by a large travel agency of some sort and they charter several sailings just for their clients. I would email Viking at the email address they post frequently post.

I found this -- http://www.icruise.com/itineraries/14-night-grand-european-tour-cruise_viking-bestla_6-25-2017.html Many weeks show no availability. I think it is probably chartered and you booked into a chartered ship by a travel company.

Edited by CaribbeanIsland

I did some research and all I could find is that currently the Viking Bestla is in Vienna. It's possible Viking hasn't assigned it for 2017 yet, but like you, I didn't find any Grand European cruise departing on 6/25/17. Is it possible that you got the date wrong? (I know that sounds condescending, but "stuff" happens). I was primarily looking for news of any accident or problem with the Bestla but I found nothing. It's one of their longships and it's still listed on their list of ships.

I understand your frustration with TA, but have you tried calling Viking directly?

I know Viking keeps tabs on what's posted here and sometimes they will respond to a post. I think it's a little premature to worry about canceling the trip....OTOH I would hesitate to pay in full without answers to your questions.

I did find a Grand European Viking cruise THIS June 25th. But it's not on the Bestla. Hope the OP gets this figured out soon.

If its been chartered, I'd be worried. There's the story where the person found themselves on a cruise with mostly Chinese.

It could be a travel company such as Smarttours or Gate 1 Travel. Companies that don't have their own ships.

Edited by CaribbeanIsland

We have spoken directly to Viking and they will "check with Operations and get back to you". Not one peep. The Bestla has not sailed for Viking in 2016 when searched and does not exist on the website to which I have access. "My Viking Journey" shows I have a booking for the cruise on the Bestla on June 25 2017 ---but it must be a Zombie cruise!!!

I do understand that I have many months to solve this problem but does it not bode poorly under the circumstances? Does it not leave a bad taste in one's mouth when the service is this poor?

My TA might not be the best but I find the problem with Viking. One can only call and get the same info. Can't make them "fess up! None of us can get a straight answer.

Don't put all the blame on Viking. Most cruise companies will not deal with you, if the booking was made with a TA. They will often only deal with the TA. Even if you call with a problem, you need to have a really bad TA (and give them proof of such) for them to talk to you.

We have spoken directly to Viking and they will "check with Operations and get back to you". Not one peep. The Bestla has not sailed for Viking in 2016 when searched and does not exist on the website to which I have access. "My Viking Journey" shows I have a booking for the cruise on the Bestla on June 25 2017 ---but it must be a Zombie cruise!!!

I do understand that I have many months to solve this problem but does it not bode poorly under the circumstances? Does it not leave a bad taste in one's mouth when the service is this poor?

If you go to cruisemapper.com and type in the name of the ship, you will find that the Viking Bestla is in Vienna tonight and tomorrow and will arrive in Budapest on Saturday, April 9th. I don't know if it's sailing under the Viking flag or if it's been chartered by someone else, but at least we know it's sailing.

Schmoo is right, river and ocean cruise lines will often not deal with the customer directly if they've booked through a travel agent..that's one of the main reasons I use Vantage, they don't use travel agents and I had a very bad experience the one time I did.

Yes it does leave a bad taste in one's mouth, be thankful that you have a long time to either fix it or cancel it... just don't give Viking any more money until which trip, which date and which ship is settled to your satisfaction.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We are booked on the same cruise. I sent a message to Viking about this on their website and was told that they would correct it within 24 hours. That was a week ago and neither the cruise nor ship are listed on their website still.

Yes it does leave a bad taste in one's mouth, be thankful that you have a long time to either fix it or cancel it...

HappyTalk- Something similar happened to me with Vantage, basically due to having booked as early as you did (20 months in advance).

Our cruise date and cabin changed on our home page. After a couple of phone calls, it turns out that they had changed our original sailing to a special musical themed sailing. They switched us as they thought we wouldn't be interested, and stated we could switch back. They did agree to bump us up a cabin class, but that's just begin a couple cabins closer to the bow of the ship, not a bigger cabin, so not a huge perk.

It wasn't a big deal, just an example of how booking so early can lead to some confusion. I had Vantage send a statement saying the switch was not at my request, so my 3rd party Insurance dates were switched without charge.

It could be worse and you had already purchased airfare independently! Good luck, having so long to wait is hard, hope it turns out great.

If you go to cruisemapper.com and type in the name of the ship, you will find that the Viking Bestla is in Vienna tonight and tomorrow and will arrive in Budapest on Saturday, April 9th. I don't know if it's sailing under the Viking flag or if it's been chartered by someone else, but at least we know it's sailing.

I'll try to remember to look for it when we're there this weekend!

Edit: the website http://www.mahartports.hu/webset32.cgi?MAHARTHajoallomas@@EN@@3@@917217827 lists several other Viking ships in Budapest this weekend but not the one that OP is sailing. Maybe it's chartered and sailing under a different name, as suggested by others?

Edited by jpalbny

I'll try to remember to look for it when we're there this weekend!

Edit: the website http://www.mahartports.hu/webset32.cgi?MAHARTHajoallomas@@EN@@3@@917217827 lists several other Viking ships in Budapest this weekend but not the one that OP is sailing. Maybe it's chartered and sailing under a different name, as suggested by others?

That's entirely possible. I think if you see it in Budapest it might help OP feel a little more comfortable. We usually book our trips way in advance and I've had the same experience as Uralguy, but mine was with Russian trip and cabin was changed without my knowledge and when I called Vantage they told me I was given a "loyalty" upgrade. I have to admit I was totally satisfied being bumped from Jr. to full Suite....but booking that far ahead can be a two edged sword....on one hand you don't have to worry about getting the cabin/excursions/etc. that you want....OTOH you run a risk of the cruise line changing ships, dates or itineraries without your "consent".

We booked the Grand European river cruise with Viking on Oct 2, 2015. Our booking is for June 25, 2017 on the Viking Bestla. At his moment the Bestla is not listed as a ship in their inventory nor is our date for sailing listed in their 2017 sailings. To this minute we have been unable to find out ONE piece of information as to this discrepancy. Please bear in mind that Viking has the money for our deposit and insurance and we are unable to find out any information on this subject. Please don't suggest I deal with my TA on this subject as that has been done repeatedly to no avail. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated other than canceling the cruise and losing our insurance payment. Thank you

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Our Viking cruise "disappeared" for a while just like yours and it all worked out ok. We had booked the Danube Walz cruise on the PRESTIGE for next April and wham! just like that it was gone from the books. It was a little bit inconvenient at first because our friends wanted to join us on the cruise and they obviously couldn't. Their agent thought the AWOL might be because of Viking's plan to switch ships, and sure enough he was proved right. We are now booked on the VILHJALM, same category of cabin. The date also remains the same. And our friends are now cruising with us. ;)

Check Your Viking Journey periodically and I bet you'll see your booking resurface.

A travel agents job is to solve the problems you have, before you know you have them. He/She should be handling this and getting you the answers you need. That's how they earn that commission.
If you are lucky enough to have a good agent. Ours was a total idiot who caused more touble than she was worth. Booked our next cruise directly with the company we like.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Our Viking cruise "disappeared" for a while just like yours and it all worked out ok. We had booked the Danube Walz cruise on the PRESTIGE for next April and wham! just like that it was gone from the books. It was a little bit inconvenient at first because our friends wanted to join us on the cruise and they obviously couldn't. Their agent thought the AWOL might be because of Viking's plan to switch ships, and sure enough he was proved right. We are now booked on the VILHJALM, same category of cabin. The date also remains the same. And our friends are now cruising with us. ;)

Check Your Viking Journey periodically and I bet you'll see your booking resurface.

It's always good to hear from someone who's experienced the same "problem" with the same line....

It's always good to hear from someone who's experienced the same "problem" with the same line....

There is a slight difference. Our Viking journey and booking does show the date and ship. It is the Viking website that does not have the ship in the inventory nor the same cruise date for any other ship. Makes it doubly hard to reconcile the two subjects. They continue to tell me to deal via my TA but they will also "get back to her". Catch 22!

If you are lucky enough to have a good agent. Ours was a total idiot who caused more touble than she was worth. Booked our next cruise directly with the company we like.

One bad experience doesn't negate the value that travel agents can add. Ask around on this next cruise and maybe a fellow passenger will recommend a GOOD travel agent for you to try.