Question for anyone who has sailed with Princess.

Hello

We have been looking to get a sailing to see Australia/NA, the dates we can go are limited, we did have one booked with RC but they pulled the ship early (it's the Explorer and is now heading to Seattle). I've been looking at Princess who seem to sail there at better dates for us, we have only ever sailed with RC (25 times so like the perks), has anyone sailed Princess and can offer advice on whether it's a similar experience, we do sail primarily for the ports but we like RC ships as we know the product, all advice gratefully received. Thanks.

We sail Princess quite a bit, not as much as RC but enjoy it very much.

We find the entertainment better, they do 3 shows each night, the food in the dining room is better also and we find the crew much happier/nicer....(just got off the Rhapsody I would compare Princess crew to small RC ships which we find more personable and friendly)

They also have a happy hour buy 1 get 1 for a $1 in the Wheelhouse bar everyday from 3-4 and 10-11 which is nice as you can buy some beers to keep your minibar fridge full....

I must say the passengers are slightly older although lately we are running into many RC passengers aboard Princess ships especially out west.

All in all I would rate Princess slightly superior but very comparable to RC.

I'm sure you will enjoy it if you book with Princess.

We sail Princess quite a bit, not as much as RC but enjoy it very much.

We find the entertainment better, they do 3 shows each night, the food in the dining room is better also and we find the crew much happier/nicer....(just got off the Rhapsody I would compare Princess crew to small RC ships which we find more personable and friendly)

They also have a happy hour buy 1 get 1 for a $1 in the Wheelhouse bar everyday from 3-4 and 10-11 which is nice as you can buy some beers to keep your minibar fridge full....

I must say the passengers are slightly older although lately we are running into many RC passengers aboard Princess ships especially out west.

All in all I would rate Princess slightly superior but very comparable to RC.

I'm sure you will enjoy it if you book with Princess.

Have you been on the Star princess, thinking about her for Alaska - any advice

It's been a long time but they had a good product. The only thing that baffled me was the weird deck layouts. Sometimes you couldn't get from one end of a deck to the other without going down and then up stairs. When we sailed them, I thought they were the one line that was most comparable to RCI.

We've cruised with both. Generally I think Princess is less frenetic, a bit more refined but not dull at all. Food is subjective but I give Princess the edge there: really good pizza, and the International Cafe is a real gem.

We like Royal, but for us both Liberty and Independence seemed very loud and often felt crowded.

We sailed Princess for a Panama Canal cruise and they are more similar to Royal than different. Each line/ship has things that are slightly better/worse but overall the cruise experience was wonderful. Their Chef's Table blew away anything we have done on Royal. It included a galley tour and was quite a fun venture.

It's been a long time but they had a good product. The only thing that baffled me was the weird deck layouts. Sometimes you couldn't get from one end of a deck to the other without going down and then up stairs. When we sailed them, I thought they were the one line that was most comparable to RCI.

I agree, I've been on the Diamond and I got so mad, I had to keep going up or down and got lost - and I'm such a happy person, but this baffled me w/ their layout - any info on the Star vista, minisuites, entertainment, etc. I do know I'll be one of the youngest people on the cruise :D

We sailed Princess for Alaska, Panama and the Mediterranean and a few Caribbean and Bahama cruises. They are fairly comparable but I agree the food is better and they do have very tasty pizza. We usually sail in suites and they are approximately the same size as Grand Suites or above on RCCL. We don't really have a favorite since the ports are usually what we look for.

I will tell you I am in LOVE with the Oasis class ships and we are scheduled for Oasis again in January.

I would have no fear at all in choosing Princess, we have always had great service and great food. As I mentioned above, we book for the ports not the entertainment.

Princess and RCI are my favorites. I've sailed with Princess more, mainly for itinerary. Both lines have things I like and I don't consider one better than the other. These days all cruise lines have pros and cons, I've been cruising since 1982, cruising is what it is now and I still enjoy it.

I sailed with RCI last year, this year Princess, 2017 RCI Australia/NZ. I could not get close to the price RCI had with Princess. I'm on Radiance for 21 days (Mar/Apr) less than Princess for 13 days. I sail solo, Princess doubles the fare, RCI gave me their tiny cabin for a single fare this time.

Edited by susancruzs

Do Princess ships still have the one story, low ceiling dining rooms and small balcony cabins? We sailed Grand twice, Dawn twice and Golden once. And those features and the weird layouts turned us off once we experienced RCI ships.

It's not the New York version that you have to roll up to eat, is it?

You could if you wanted to go. You would never catch me eating it with a knife and fork though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's not the New York version that you have to roll up to eat, is it?

No it's more like pizza found in Naples, Italy. Not nearly as food as Naples but IMO the best on any of the cruise lines I've traveled. Actually hand stretched do not the cardboard per-made RCCL uses.

We've done Princess several times and really like their product. My wife & daughter did the trans-Pacific San Francisco to Sydney on the Star and had a great time. We would not hesitate to cruise any of their ships, any time.

Hello

We have been looking to get a sailing to see Australia/NA, the dates we can go are limited, we did have one booked with RC but they pulled the ship early (it's the Explorer and is now heading to Seattle). I've been looking at Princess who seem to sail there at better dates for us, we have only ever sailed with RC (25 times so like the perks), has anyone sailed Princess and can offer advice on whether it's a similar experience, we do sail primarily for the ports but we like RC ships as we know the product, all advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Cruise regularly on both RCCL and Princess . Have done so for years. Both are similar but yet different. Though food is always subjective, personally prefer Princess over RCCL but really have no issues with RCCL's offerings. Princess ships to not have features such as flowriders, climbing walls, ziplines but certainly offer many daily activities. Princess has better production shows on a nightly basis. Average age little higher than RCCL but than itinerary, length of cruise as well as time of year effects the average age for any cruise line. Both offer many nightlife options , how good the nightlife is its solely based on passenger attendance. Have been on many RCCL ships that nightlife venues have been less active than Princess and vice versa.

Bottom line go with an open mind and don't spend the entire cruise comparing Princess to RCCL just to nit pick the differences. Relax and enjoy the experience.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Hello

We've done three trips on Princess in Inside, Mini-Suite and Suite. They don't seem to repair things as well. On our last cruise, the elevator (one of two to the MDR) was down half the cruise.

You have self-service laundry (when it works). More flexibility when ordering in the MDR. I've ordered half-order of eggs benedict, and appetizer sized order of a main dish to be delivered w/ the appetizer.

They have a coffee card that's wonderful! You can get specialty coffee & all the brewed coffee you want in their coffee bar. Even though they automatically add gratuity, it still flows better when you tip extra.

They charge for Meclizine and visits to the infirmary for norovirus.

I see a pizza war starting. :eek::D

Gregg, it's not even close when it comes to pizza. Princess has been winning this contest for as long as I have sailed both lines. Food is subjective, and the two lines are comparable, but when it comes to pizza Princess wins hands down.:D

Rick

Gregg, it's not even close when it comes to pizza. Princess has been winning this contest for as long as I have sailed both lines. Food is subjective, and the two lines are comparable, but when it comes to pizza Princess wins hands down.:D

Rick

I agree! Princess Pizza is the best!

No it's more like pizza found in Naples, Italy. Not nearly as food as Naples but IMO the best on any of the cruise lines I've traveled. Actually hand stretched do not the cardboard per-made RCCL uses.

I'm booking a Princess cruise today!!! The pizza in Naples was the best I ever tasted, other than my mother's.