Which deck for Alaska?

tammymacb

I'm looking at sailing Alaska in 2017. I'll sail in a balcony. Question: should I choose a room high or low in the ship?

I sailed Disney through the Norwegian fjords in 2015 and sailed on Deck 7. I'd assume the scenery would be somewhat similar. Is there a reason to choose a higher or lower deck?

Thanks!

As far as viewing goes - I find that the upper, public decks are best. I feel that is especially true in Glacier National Park. You didn't mention which itinerary you are booking so I don't know if Glacier applies to your sailing or not.

You will most likely want to book a cabin on a deck that has staterooms both above and below it. If you book a cabin directly under Lido Deck or directly over the Theater or a Lounge or under the buffet you risk having noise issues.

Princess considers "higher up" and "more in the middle of the ship" to be "better" and they charge accordingly. If you are booking a Grand Class ship such as Star Princess I would suggest a Caribe Deck balcony (since you stated you want a balcony) as they are larger balconies and are half covered and half open.

Edited by Thrak

Well....Alaska is like Norway in that it is all outside....but there are lots more trees, little islands and wildlife.

A balcony will be nice, but you may be surprised at how much time you spend on the 'top' deck taking in Alaska on a 360 degree basis.

I'm looking at sailing Alaska in 2017. I'll sail in a balcony. Question: should I choose a room high or low in the ship?

I sailed Disney through the Norwegian fjords in 2015 and sailed on Deck 7. I'd assume the scenery would be somewhat similar. Is there a reason to choose a higher or lower deck?

Thanks!

I usually book a category BF located forward under the cabins on Lido Deck.

Cheapest balcony cabin and pretty central to everything.

Thanks!

We always book the Caribe deck due to its larger balcony.

The more important questions might be whether it is a covered balcony, or a larger balcony.

In most cases the balconies on the Caribe Deck are larger balconies that are half covered, open when standing out at the railing.

If they are not all booked up, there are those who swear by AFT balcoonies if they are available on the ship.

My priorities would be:

1. Itinerary

2. Covered balcony or half-covered Caribe Balcony

3. Mid-ship if motion might be an issue.

4. If there are more than one ship on a similar itinerary, then look at the ships and choose your preference. (Many threads on that subject for Alaska)

As far as viewing goes - I find that the upper, public decks are best. I feel that is especially true in Glacier National Park. You didn't mention which itinerary you are booking so I don't know if Glacier applies to your sailing or not.

I don't think too many cruise ships go to Glacier Nation Park in Montana.

Depending on what time of year you are going to Alaska unless you dress appropriately, balcony or public decks could be uncomfortable. The public decks tend to be a little more breezy than the balconies. I don't think the viewing from a balcony would be much different say Caribe vs. Lido. It's a mater of perspective. When we sailed through the fjords of New Zealand the view was very different from the public decks vs. our lido balcony. You will enjoy the views from any balcony you choose but the public decks will give you a more expanded view of your surroundings. I would suggest that if you are northbound choose a starboard cabin, southbound choose a port cabin.

Good luck in your choice and enjoy the cruise.

When we were on the Golden we had Lido 222. It was a fantastic cabin.

We probably would pick the highest deck again when we do this cruise again.

It was a very breathtaking experience sailing the Alaska glaciers. :D:D

We were on our balcony with two cameras and hot chocolate!!:eek:

Two schools of thought here - first for just enjoying a balcony, the larger balconies of Caribe deck hands down.

Second, when considering scenic cruising and Glacier Bay, it is handy to be close to a public deck - either the Lido (for Lido and higher) or the Promenade, which is not as heavily used as the upper decks. On Promenade, if the sightings change sides, you can walk inside across the ship and come out on the other side very quickly. It is also nice as you can duck inside to warm up for a minute or two if you wish.

Decisions, decisions.......

What ship?

I would suggest Lido deck because you can walk right out of your cabin and immediately be out on the top deck. There you can switch back and forth from port to starboard the quickest. If you get cold, you can always run back to your cabin, thaw out, and go back out again.

You will also be closer to the buffet where you can grab a bite or hot drink very quickly. I've spent many hours each day looking for the wildlife on the land and especially for whales. I discovered the best way to site a whale is at a high deck because you can then look down into the water and see their bodies moving under the water before they come up for air. Closer to the water you will only see them as they breach or come up for air.

My thoughts:

- We loved our Caribe deck room(s). Friends were on the opposite side of the ship, so we changed rooms (with wine glasses in hand) when the "ship spinned" in Glacier Bay.

- I'd recommend the Promenade deck over going "up top". Although the upper deck (ie, above center or front elevator areas) provides a 360 degree view, there will be lots of people jostling for photo/viewing positions, they will be noisy, plus there are several ship vent areas that are noisy. This means you can't easily hear the ice cracking and groaning, before it breaks off (calve).

I don't think too many cruise ships go to Glacier Nation Park in Montana.

D'Oh! Sorry about that. I obviously meant Glacier Bay. [emoji57]

I had Glacier National Park on my mind because we are talking about going there next year, staying awhile, then driving the Rocky Mountain Route up through Canada, into Alaska, to the end of the Alaska Highway, then returning home to California via the Gold Rush Route. We have been talking about making it a 2 month trip. Perhaps you can see why it was on my mind and forgive my blunder?

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk