Cancellation of pax 2 and they want more $$$

Unfortunately DH cannot join me on the cruise due to work so my agent called to cancel him off.

I thought I would get his taxes back......but they said no

So it is 100% cancellation penalty for him...... And they want to charge me another $400 as being a solo traveller??!!??!?

Is this right that they can get 100% full fare for him and want to charge me more?

If I leave him as a no show I think I'll get the taxes back?

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

The downside of no show is that you won't get double points. The $400 extra is probably because they want to reprice it at current rates.

It seems crazy that being upfront by telling them that he is not coming that I get penalised....but just saying he is a no show at the pier I get money back!!! :rolleyes:

It seems crazy that being upfront by telling them that he is not coming that I get penalised....but just saying he is a no show at the pier I get money back!!! :rolleyes:

I agree, but then this is Royal Caribbean.;)

That's a crazy policy! I can understand that they still want you to pay his half, as the rate is based on double occupancy, but what's the justification for paying $400 on top of that?! If you could manage to find someone else to travel with you, what would they charge for transferring the booking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Did you book through a US travel agent?

These are the terms I see for RC UK:

5 days or less 100%

6 to 14 days 90%

15 - 28 days 75%

29 - 56 days 50%

57 days or more Deposit only (£150 per person)

It doesn't list a refund of 'taxes and fees' like they do on the US site. I do see it mentioned that cancellation fees would need to be reimbursed via your insurance policy.

Also: Where any cancellation reduces the number of full paying party members below the number on which the price, number of free places and/or any concessions agreed for your booking were based, we will recalculate these items and re-invoice you at the applicable higher price.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/before-you-book/policies-and-terms-and-conditions/cancellations/

Edited by marci22

Unfortunately DH cannot join me on the cruise due to work so my agent called to cancel him off.

I thought I would get his taxes back......but they said no

So it is 100% cancellation penalty for him...... And they want to charge me another $400 as being a solo traveller??!!??!?

Is this right that they can get 100% full fare for him and want to charge me more?

If I leave him as a no show I think I'll get the taxes back?

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Is this after final payment date? Yes - going solo does cost more - your cabin is now a solo cabin with a solo booking.

The downside of no show is that you won't get double points. The $400 extra is probably because they want to reprice it at current rates.

I'd rather keep my $400 than get double points....lol

Don't understand the obsession with points???

A few years ago, I broke up with a GF before a cruise. I called my TA to cancel her, and they said it's better to just have her be a no-show. So that's what I did. Some time later, I emailed and asked about doubling the points, and they did it for me, no problem. However, I don't recall if I ever got a refund for the taxes. Maybe if I'd remembered and pursued it, but then maybe that would have screwed up the double points, and the points would have cost a lot more than the couple of hundred bucks to replace!

But I have paid in full for 2 people.

Going solo can cost 200% of a fare but it should not cost 230% more.

The price of the cabin has changed since your booking date - hence it is repriced at present rates because essentially you are making a new booking. You will get double points. Welcome to the world of solo cruising. Enjoy all the storage and bathroom to yourself.

Unfortunately, my TA is dealing with Guatemala :rolleyes:

She has called 4 times and got 4 different costings to take him off the booking.

However when she first called, as per the UK T&Cs it was at the 90% cancellation penalty so I should have got a few ££ back.

It was they who suggested that I leave him as a no show.

After the cruise I'll come back and update as to what happens!

I'm not sure how they even can reprice if the category is not available as the cruise is sold out? She is now pulling her hair out poor girl!!

I'd not pursue it anymore and go the no-show route. Less stress.

Don't know about Brits rules but we just did this...removed our daughters EX fiance, got taxes back no more $$ required. She's in a promenade and it was way past final payment. I would've left him no show if we needed to but he was the one who wanted his money back.

And now she has to pay him back for his half of the fare. She broke it off so that's only fair.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I just told them at the pier that DH was a no show.

I checked on board and they said his name was not on the booking.

Not sure if this mucked up their system but they did not charge me the tips on board....so I had to queue on the last morning to get them added.

Interestingly enough the post cruise survey was still sent to his email and not mine!

Just waiting to see whether I get double (or triple) points as I was in a suite.:rolleyes:

If they only give you double points and not triple, wait a couple of weeks and then call crown and anchor's customer service. In the past for me (US, not UK) they have just taken a look to confirm I was the only one listed in the cabin, and then applied the extra points. Worth a quick call.

Cheers,

FL

So, I just told them at the pier that DH was a no show.

I checked on board and they said his name was not on the booking.

Not sure if this mucked up their system but they did not charge me the tips on board....so I had to queue on the last morning to get them added.

Interestingly enough the post cruise survey was still sent to his email and not mine!

Just waiting to see whether I get double (or triple) points as I was in a suite.:rolleyes:

Edited by Ethelfleda