Bringing SMALL electrical stuff on board

jnojr

Do you bring power strips, ext. cords, small electrical stuff on board?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you bring power strips, ext. cords, small electrical stuff on board?

• Yes, always, it never gets taken!
    • Yes, sometimes I lose it, oh well
    • No, I used to, but they took it too often so I stopped

I am NOT talking about big things or outright fire hazards like irons, rice cookers, space heaters, jerry-rigged gizmos, etc. Nor am I asking about old stuff with frayed connectors. I want to know how successful people are, in general, at bringing on items like extension cords, power strips, maybe small LED lights, etc. And I'm not looking for the gasps of horror about, "But that's against the rules!" Just, do you bring stuff like this, has it ever been taken away, etc.

I voted NO...but not because the took it...because it's not needed! I have brought my electric fan...can't live without it.

You don't have a complete poll list.

I disagree :) It's complete for me. "I never bring anything like that because X (other than stuff got taken too often)" isn't an interesting or useful response for me. Someone else could start another poll if they feel mine is lacking for their purposes ;)

No, I did years ago, quit before cruise lines started confiscating stuff. In fact, packing for my upcoming cruise, I found my travel iron. I took it on a transatlantic cruise in 1984!

Didn't have a shutoff, kind of scary now when you think about it, especially because I was going on an old ship, lots of wood!

I voted yes, I take a CubieTime alarm clock model BPECT. It is a hotel clock on the end of a heavy duty extension cord. Besides the night lite function and alarm clock, it has 2 US type electrical outlets and two 2.0 amp USB ports, so using one outlet you can charge 4 items at once.

I've been questioned about it, but never stopped. I carry it in my backpack on board.

Not sure how to respond to the poll because the only electric thing we take is my curling iron which has never been a problem.

Now that's interesting, because there's an obvious potential fire hazard with a curling iron. But then, A) lots of women NEED one :D; and B) modern ones are much safer. I don't even know if a curling iron is technically allowed or forbidden. Have they seen it and let it go, or do your bags just show up with it, no problem?

Now that's interesting, because there's an obvious potential fire hazard with a curling iron. But then, A) lots of women NEED one :D; and B) modern ones are much safer. I don't even know if a curling iron is technically allowed or forbidden. Have they seen it and let it go, or do your bags just show up with it, no problem?

Fortunately, a curling iron is on the ALLOWED list! :)

We always bring a power strip. My wife and I both use CPAP machines. For whatever reason, these cruise ships never have enough power outlets and none near the head of the bed. We pack the power strip with the CPAP machines and it has never been confiscated. I know we can request an extension chord but then they bring you one of these 50 foot bright orange industrial chords. It kind of takes away from the "ambience" of the room. If they can't install outlets near the head of the bed, they should at least get those bedside lamps that have additional outlets in their base like I've seen in numerous hotels.

It shouldn't matter if you got caught or not. There are specific reasons certain things are not allowed. They are a fire hazard. Just because security didn't notice does not mean that it is okay. They are a hazard to safety in ways you most likely don't understand. It has nothing to do with frayed cords or condition of the device (although those are hazards separate from this topic). Marine electrical systems are different and certain aspects of that design makes certain types of items dangerous. Most notably surge suppressors, but there are other items as well. I know there is another regular contributor here on CC who can explain it better than me and I'll post a link to his explanation if he or someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Edit: I believe that user is chengkp75. Still trying to find the thread.

Edited by TBone2K

It shouldn't matter if you got caught or not. There are specific reasons certain things are not allowed. They are a fire hazard. Just because security didn't notice does not mean that it is okay. They are a hazard to safety in ways you most likely don't understand. It has nothing to do with frayed cords or condition of the device (although those are hazards separate from this topic). Marine electrical systems are different and certain aspects of that design makes certain types of items dangerous. Most notably surge suppressors, but there are other items as well. I know there is another regular contributor here on CC who can explain it better than me and I'll post a link to his explanation if he or someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Edit: I believe that user is chengkp75. Still trying to find the thread.

I wonder why the cruise ships don't put in more outlets if the extension cords pose such a fire hazard? It would be one more way to help prevent them. I always take one because I need it for a medical device. I didn't take one on my first cruise assuming I wouldn't need it. I asked for one about 6:00 pm and they finally found one for me around midnight. Never again.

What is the difference between the extension cords they supply and the ones we bring on board?

Edited by ReneeFLL

I wonder why the cruise ships don't put in more outlets if the extension cords pose such a fire hazard? ...

The newer ships (Oasis and Quantum classes) have outlets near the bed.