Just off Brilliance

We just finished up a 5 day cruise on Brilliance of the Seas (4/4/16). We took this same cruise two years ago and enjoyed it again.

A couple things I noticed different:

1. No drink of the day! None listed in the Compass or advertised anywhere.

2. No show where they use the overhead lines in the centrum.

3 Did not see any Q&A with the captain

The food was very good, except for the scrambled eggs! Yuch

The service in mdr was outstanding. We ate there every night.

Don't book 7091. It is the closest cabin to the centrum. The music from the centrum blared every nigt. Our TA actually recommended this room as it was close to the elevators and had a larger balcony. It was larger but one side was a solid steel wall and it seemed like you were in a tunnel.

Went to Cochi Nocom and we really enjoyed it. Great service and food, all inclusive.

Went for the beer tasting class and since only 5 people showed up, they cancelled it. That sucked.

The ship is in great condiditon and the staff was very courteous.

And finally..... Too many kids in the hot tubs by the main pool!!

So "No Drink of the Day"? Is this common or something that just started?

We are sailing Brilliance next January for the 1st time and have yet to

determine if we need to buy a drink package or not.

I still see the drink of the day, but it's no longer any kind of deal, and you don't get it cheaper if you opt for no souvenir glass anymore.

Thanks OP. We sailed the Brilliance earlier this month and had similar observations.

We also thought the ship was looking terrific, much better than many others in the fleet, and the staff was some of the friendliest and accommodating. We had good meals in Chops, Giovanni's as well as the main dining room.

Sad that they removed the glass staircase for the aerial show and now don't have the show, or the staircase.

We used to book those larger balcony cabin near the centrum, but I am reading about lots of issues with noise. We were down the hallway this sailing and had a nice cabin and a terrific attendant.

We went to a few of the shows and generally enjoyed them.

Only issue for us was pool chair saving on sea days. The first sea day we went out to enjoy the (upper) deck at 9:00 and almost every chair at the pool, the deck above and solarium had a towel. Very few people there, just lots of towels and maybe a book or hat on the lounger. Chairs remained empty most of the morning. On the second sea day, we got an earlier start and had an easier time. We did get to see others saving rows of chairs. Pool staff never removed any towels from seemingly empty chairs. The 4 "saved" chairs next to us remained empty the entire time we were at the pool, from about 8:30 till just prior to noon. Folks never showed up to use the chairs they had saved.

Not a cruise line issue but we went to Nachi and had a great day. Unfortunately we were there with a group of 25 or so VERY loud ladies, not college kids, but women in age range from about 40-60. Half were at the pool and half were at the beach so there was no escaping the screams and cackling. They meant no harm and just wanted to have a good time, but they were VERY loud. We chatted with a few later in the day and they were work/neighborhood buddies sailing from Galveston.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Was on the 4 day at the end of March and had the same good and bad experiences as the original poster and the other who had been on the ship recently. The biggest issue was chair hogs for me. 10am and the upper deck is getting full and it's a sea of empty chairs with towels on them in the prime area by the pool. Never saw an attendant do anything about it. Very strong winds on the upper deck also. Peoples clothing and belongings getting blown away. Nice calm empty chairs by the pool though

My wife and I are sailing on the Brilliance in July. Do they change the crews when the ship goes to the Mediterranean? I am glad to hear the crew is really friendly, just wondering if they will be the same come July.

My wife and I are sailing on the Brilliance in July. Do they change the crews when the ship goes to the Mediterranean? I am glad to hear the crew is really friendly, just wondering if they will be the same come July.

I would imagine that it is like most other cruise lines where the crew is on all different schedules of contracts. My sister works on Disney Cruise Line and every week there are crew that come aboard (new or returning) and crew that leave permanently or for vacation. So it will pretty much never be a completely new crew when you're talking an established ship.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart

We were on the exact same cruise and dates. I'm going to post a more detailed review, but generally agree with all of your comments. Majority of the ship was in great shape, great service, and overall great experience minus a few rough spots.

Edited by ppezzano

We were on the exact same cruise and dates. I'm going to post a more detailed review, but generally agree with all of your comments. Majority of the ship was in great shape, great service, and overall great experience minus a few rough spots.

How were the beds? Both in terms of the firm/soft scale AND in their ability to stay together since (at least according to the housekeeping staff on the Radiance) RCCL doesn't believe in using a strap to connect them but rather assumes that the sheets can be pulled tight enough to keep the beds from eating people.

How were the beds? Both in terms of the firm/soft scale AND in their ability to stay together since (at least according to the housekeeping staff on the Radiance) RCCL doesn't believe in using a strap to connect them but rather assumes that the sheets can be pulled tight enough to keep the beds from eating people.

The beds were firm but we definitely slept very well on them. I sleep on a firmer side bed, though enjoy soft as well. I imagine you would be disappointed if you are use to a super soft bed, but anything else I think most would enjoy.

As for staying together, it was terrible - it didn't take much in the way of activities to split the beds apart and for couples who don't sleep on opposite ends of the bed it was less than ideal. But in the scope of things, tolerable problem to have for otherwise great cruise.

The beds were firm but we definitely slept very well on them. I sleep on a firmer side bed, though enjoy soft as well. I imagine you would be disappointed if you are use to a super soft bed, but anything else I think most would enjoy.

As for staying together, it was terrible - it didn't take much in the way of activities to split the beds apart and for couples who don't sleep on opposite ends of the bed it was less than ideal. But in the scope of things, tolerable problem to have for otherwise great cruise.

Thanks! I'm ok with fairly firm mattresses.

I really wish they would get the bed straps. That's literally the only thing I liked better on HAL - they do have the straps and those mattresses do NOT separate. I'll give it one night's chance, and then just suck it up and sleep in a stupid twin bed. And just start saving to go on Disney pretty much from now on since they have queen beds to begin with - no dip and no separation.

Don't book 7091. It is the closest cabin to the centrum. The music from the centrum blared every nigt. Our TA actually recommended this room as it was close to the elevators and had a larger balcony. It was larger but one side was a solid steel wall and it seemed like you were in a tunnel.

I'm not familiar with 7091 on this ship. Do you mean 7092 or 7094?

I was on Brilliance during this time and I highly recommend trying to get to see Chris at Schooner Bar before the TA, and Julie and Paul were awesome, Jocelyn is home. Arthur was great at WJ or he maybe working Room Service delivery. He was amazing helping parents in disembarkation. There was an amazing Journey cover band that was beyond awesome but they were leaving when I did.

Have to agree way to much salt in any premade eggs and other items. The beef tenderloin still awesome. Wish they would have a low sodium area in WJ!

Brilliance was doing fine, but maybe it was my 3 different cabins, but I felt she really could use some good old fashion TLC. Little things like burned out lights never getting changed in WJ for 14 days, and so much more. You wonder what else is not getting needed attention.

Staff was mostly good and friendly. Although a fair amount of them are only understanding every 5th word. LA was useless and nor did I think she understood her job or knew how to use the computer, so if you really need something beware.

Captain and staff were beyond amazing getting us back into Tampa safely on 3/26. They were playing stack horn tag with Vision and 1 other ship for 6+ hours, because the fog was so bad you couldn't see 5 feet from the ship.

d1e79fca5856884fb5d66b791d137d24.jpg

Maybe I will be back on my fav. Brilliance next March in 9256.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just got back. The beds visibly sagged in the middle. They looked like they should be thrown away.

Going in Nov and due to previous knowledge of where the Atrium/Centrum etc PLUS the baggage elevators (after the first mistake) I always book at least one cabin away from main compartments etc. I sure hope the Solarium *not being mean* but some Parents do not keep their children out of what is supposed to be Adult (total meaning takes away *Solarium* IMHO) Last time on the Enchantment the snack bar on the Aft/Port side of the Solarium ~ guess some passengers aren't aware.

On the Freedom our 1st and 2nd Balcony are the ABSOLUTE BEST (fwd Starboard Deck 8336 and Deck 7336 those cabins are AWESOME)!

Deck 7 Hubby would go to the Promenade Deck every morning and bring me coffee WHAT a GUY !

Mariner inside Cabin 8433 was quiet as a mouse

Edited by CaptDJB