Is October cruise to Cozumel a bad idea?

keri0914

My husband and I are looking to go on a cruise for some adult time.... Is mid-October a bad time because of hurricane season? Anybody been cruising in October? If so, what was the weather like? Thanks.... really want to be floating with an adult beverage in my hand....:eek:

October is a great time to travel to the Caribbean. Less crowded, but still summer weather. Take plenty of sunblock to apply frequently, along with deet mosquito repellant. :)

Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30. Like any weather related activity it is a crap shoot.

We have had some very quiet hurricane seasons in the last few years. The predictions for 2016 are "near average", which doesn't really tell us anything.

There is no predicting mother nature.

Well Hurricane Wilma went through there in October. I know because we went in November of that year (2005) and we were one of the first ships to tender in after the Hurricane (the pier had been destroyed). It really is hit or miss. Nobody can tell you what the weather will be like when you sail....even the weathermen struggle a week out.

My husband and I are looking to go on a cruise for some adult time.... Is mid-October a bad time because of hurricane season? Anybody been cruising in October? If so, what was the weather like? Thanks.... really want to be floating with an adult beverage in my hand....:eek:

Ships change their itinerary if a hurricane threatens. If you don't mind that, you should be fine even if a hurricane threatens.

You just never know.

Yes, it is still hurricane season but the ships will move if there is a hurricane.

The only concern is if a hurricane hits where the ship will embark or disembark.

Still, if it was me I would book it if the dates worked well for me.

Keith

A fair number of our cruises have been in September/October, the weather has always been great. There's no predicting if, or when, a hurricane might be in the area, but in any case, the ships will make every effort to avoid it and sail away from it. Take the cruise and don't fret over what could happen but is unlikely. :)

Weather on any ocean in October is fine- until it's not.

There is really no bad time to take a Western Caribbean cruise. If you worry about hurricane season you will not cruise at all between June 1, and December 1, and they have been known to pop up at other times of the year too.

The weather will be typical western Caribbean weather, hot and muggy, its that way year round. The only difference is that instead of being 88 for the high it might be 86, even at Christmas it is well over 80 during the day.

• 1 month later...
My wife and I booked a cruise with carnival for the western Caribbean October 10th to the 15th but I'm worried about hurricanes how is the weather during that time last year does anybody know thanks

No one can predict. The experience of someone else in some previous October is irrelevant to you. You are booked. Relax, and enjoy the preparation for your cruise. If, and that's a big IF, there is a hurricane brewing at that time, your cruise will deviate the itinerary to avoid the hurricane. So what is there to worry about? Unless you just enjoy worrying.

Late August 2012... We were on Carnival Elation out of New Orleans. Ship stayed out of harms way; we were forced to stay out to sea an extra day and a half due to port closures of Galveston, New Orleans and Mobile... Plenty of food and drink and fun on board. Water was a bit bumpy, but not too bad. So the biggest hassle was delayed arrival back in New Orleans, which was hit hard. Half the city had no power, hotels that had power were booked up, and airport was just beginning to receive air traffic and we couldn't get flight home til next day. But we survived just fine and now have a story to tell.

I would do it again without hesitation.

My old boss cruised the Caribbean every September for at least 15 years. The only time he was ever affected by a hurricane was a New England and Canada cruise he took one November.

DH and I took a 10 day Eastern Caribbean in early October and the weather was absolutely perfect.

JoJo