Caribbean Princess - British Isles questions..

tammymacb

I hope I don't get too annoying to you all but I'm starting my planning mode for summer 2017. I've never sailed Princess before though I've sailed X, DCL (platinum cruiser) RCCL, NCL and CCL.

We have a party of 8 now sailing the 12 night British Isles cruise departing Aug 17.

I'd love some advice.

Let me say that I'd planned on sailing this itinerary on DCL but just couldn't justify the price. I've sailed Europe with DCL in the past. I've been told I'll love Princess though.

Anyway..On the Caribbean Princess, is there specialty dining not to be missed? When can I book it? Do they offer mixology? Do they have a nightly show? I'm pretty sure I won't go to all of them and the experience won't be comparable to DCL but I'm still interested in some shows...

I've heard good things about the service on Princess, mixed reviews on food (though DCLs food isn't awesome by any means so I'm sure it'll be fine).

Also, from those who've done this itinerary any "not to be missed excursions? I'm planning on booking as many excursions as I can on my own but there are so many options.

Any advice on Princess in general or this cruise itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by tammymacb

I hope I don't get too annoying to you all but I'm starting my planning mode for summer 2017. I've never sailed Princess before though I've sailed X, DCL (platinum cruiser) RCCL, NCL and CCL.

We have a party of 8 now sailing the 12 night British Isles cruise departing Aug 17.

I'd love some advice.

Let me say that I'd planned on sailing this itinerary on DCL but just couldn't justify the price. I've sailed Europe with DCL in the past. I've been told I'll love Princess though.

Anyway..On the Caribbean Princess, is there specialty dining not to be missed? When can I book it? Do they offer mixology? Do they have a nightly show? I'm pretty sure I won't go to all of them and the experience won't be comparable to DCL but I'm still interested in some shows...

I've heard good things about the service on Princess, mixed reviews on food (though DCLs food isn't awesome by any means so I'm sure it'll be fine).

Also, from those who've done this itinerary any "not to be missed excursions? I'm planning on booking as many excursions as I can on my own but there are so many options.

Any advice on Princess in general or this cruise itinerary would be greatly appreciated!

Specialty are Italian and steak. For a party that large, the steak house may be able to accommodate you better. Reservation can only be done on board.

Yes to daily shows.

I'd love some advice.

Specialty dining is Crown Grill (steakhouse) and Sabatini's (Italian, plus Crab Shack offered in a portion of the buffet area a few nights during the sailing. We thoroughly enjoy CG and eat there at least once on any Princess sailing. We do not like Sabatini's, and have had poor service experiences there, so we no longer dine there but others enjoy it very much. Crab Shack is a no go for us as hubs doesn't eat shellfish, etc so can't comment, nut it gets high marks from those who do dine there. Whether any appeal to you, only you know. Reservations cn only be made onboard.

There's shows everynight, whether production show with singers/dancers, comedian, magician, vocalist, etc - they are different each night. There's also entertainment in each of the lounged, with one usually being some type of game show or audience participation, others being live music, etc.

Food is subjective. We enjoy our Princess food, find it to be good to very good to great in some cases. Similar to Celebrity, RCI, etc

Service is usually very good to great, staff is mainly warm and friendly and helpful - of course, anyone can have a bad day, so you may occasionally get someone who is less than stellar, but it's rare.

Daytime has lots of activites including trivia, bingo, lectures, classes, movies, etc.

Can't help on excursions as we've not done that sailing yet - but do visit the Ports of Call forums here for ideas. And join your roll call as there will be lots of folks organizing private excursions and will Have more info.

Have a great cruise!

Hi did this itinerary on Royal Princess last year and it was wonderful. Far exceeded our expectations. Not sure of your exact itinerary but guessing it will be similar.

Guernsey was an anchorage and we just went ashore and wandered around. Very pretty and veryFrench. Word of warning long queues to get shuttle back to the ship.

My husband is into Titanic etc., so that was a feature of this cruise for us. So we went to the Titanic exhibition in Cobh, which was very interesting and set the scene for later in the cruise.

Dublin is a longish way from the port, a shuttle bus, but such a lovely City worth going ashore just to wander the streets. Lots of places to go on excursions but we just stayed in the city.

Liverpool was amazing. Just buzzing. We berthed right by the city literally steps from where Everything was happening. Liverpool has lots of Beatles stuff going on, if you're into that.

Belfast was a real highlight. Do not miss the Titanic experience. Cutting edge technology a totally amazing exhibition, we were blown away. Absolute must see.

Glasgow we hired a car very easily and cheaply and drove right round Loch Lomond. A beautiful day we just took our time and saw the beautiful countryside.

Invergordon we hired a car again and drove right round Loch Ness, looked really hard but she was being coy. Again beautiful scenery and historic sites to visit.

Edinburgh I stayed on board, been before, but my husband went ashore, (a tender again) to South Queensferry and said it was worth going just to look round there.

And finally Le Havre - beautiful place, and lots of options for 2nd Ŵorld War sites from there if you're interested.

Hope this helps a bit, if you have any questions will try to answer. Am sure you will love it.

Nancy

We did the British Isles cruise in 2013 and loved it! Things have probably changed a bit since then, but you have lots of time to plan :)

Here's a couple of thoughts:

In Edinburgh, you can see most of the major sites on your own... there was a private shuttle that was selling tickets at the tender dock (I believe it was 10 pounds each, return) and dropped off/picked up just off Princes Street. It's a pleasant walk up to the castle from there. You can buy your castle tickets online - I wish we had!

There is a hop on/hop off bus in most of the ports - you can check out there websites to see what sights you may want to consider. Chances are you would get a discount for buying your tickets online before you go.

For Glasgow your ship will actually dock in Greenock. You can easily take a train into Glasgow if you want - just ask for directions to the train station when you get off the ship.

In Belfast, we did a ship excursion to the Giant's Causeway - it is pricey and takes all day, but well worth it. I'm sure there are private companies that do smaller tours - maybe check with your roll call or on the Britain board.

Dublin is very easy to do on your own - The ship will likely dock at an industrial port that is a 20 min (ish) walk to the tram line - The tram is easy to use and will get you closer to the sights. There is also a shuttle for a fee.

Happy planning!!

I'd love some advice.

Hi !!

Just wanted to say we jumped ship as well from DCL (platinum) to Princess for the British Isles cruise. I liked the itinerary better on Princess and cost was almost half what DCL wanted for a verandah cabin.

We sail this year though (May 20th, 2016) so I will be able to answer any questions you have when we return June 1st.

I will tell you that I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide if I should get my college age kids the $8/day drink package. My husband and I are in a verandah cabin and for this sailing we get a full beverage free, but my kids are in an inside cabin and have to pay extra for drinks like soda/mocktails etc. I found out the restaurants will serve ice tea, lemonade and filtered water at no extra charge. And sodas cost approximately $2.50 a glass (someone correct me please if I am way off). Since the cruise is very port intensive (and cooler weather) I decided that it was not likely that we would get a good value from the drink packages for them. But I really won't know until I am on the ship....

If you look closely at the itinerary you'll see that your free time on the ship will be limited. Most ports disembark early so you will be ashore early and back around dinner time. With an early start time you'll need to keep bedtimes on the early side as well. So, for us, it will be mostly getting acclimated to the ship on sea days and catching up on sleep. And yes I am assuming the shows will be much different as well if we happen to catch any of them. Basically, for us anyway, this cruise is mostly about the ports and deciding if we can switch to Princess for future cruises...

-Laurie

We did a British Isles cruise in 2013. In both Dublin & Edinburgh we did the HOHO buses, which I strongly recommended as a cost effective way of seeing a city and getting off as the mood strikes you.

If in Dublin you plan on going to the Guinness Storehouse (Supposedly the #1 attraction in Ireland) get there early, as it does get crowded later in the day. If you want to see the Book of Kells be prepared for very long lines, but we went in the afternoon, and were told it's normally a shorted wait later in the day.

In Edinburgh go to the tattoo. Yes, its pricy, but go to YouTube to watch videos to get a feel. It is amazing. DH was ho hum about going, nearly had a heart attack when I told him how much the tickets cost, and grumbled the whole time we were in line. Three years later he still talks about it and wants to do the British Isles again, just for that.

In Guernsey we took a ferry to the Island of Sark. It's a quaint place with no motorized traffic other than farm tractors. You can rent bicycles to explore the island.

If interested the link below has a few photos from our trip

http://rosethorn40.simplesite.com/412668808

I will tell you that I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide if I should get my college age kids the $8/day drink package. My husband and I are in a verandah cabin and for this sailing we get a full beverage free, but my kids are in an inside cabin and have to pay extra for drinks like soda/mocktails etc. I found out the restaurants will serve ice tea, lemonade and filtered water at no extra charge. And sodas cost approximately $2.50 a glass (someone correct me please if I am way off). Since the cruise is very port intensive (and cooler weather) I decided that it was not likely that we would get a good value from the drink packages for them. But I really won't know until I am on the ship....

Also, the tap water on the ship is very good. Instead of purchasing bottled water for excursions, you can just refill a bottle from the sink in your cabin.

Also, the tap water on the ship is very good. Instead of purchasing bottled water for excursions, you can just refill a bottle from the sink in your cabin.

We've done this on several of our DCL cruises and had no problem, but recently someone told me that the cabin tap water was not intended for consumption and apparently not filtered as well as the water from the drink stations....so I guess it depends on how lucky you feel ;)

While DCL has drink stations you can use to fill up water bottles I have no idea if Princess cruises would have a viable option for filling up water bottles other than cabin sinks.

We are considering bringing on a case of water as we are arriving by rental car for our May 20th Princess cruise.

Princess has a very reasonable bottled water package, but it MUST be preordered prior to the cruise. Once on the ship you must purchase by the bottle only.

Do you happen to know what brand of bottled water they sell?

I had a hard time drinking the Evian bottled water we bought on our first cruise and really preferred the tap water instead.

Since we have a rental car before our next cruise we were thinking of just purchasing a case of bottled water at a Southampton store prior to boarding...hoping we can find Dasani or Aquafina if possible.

I'd love some advice.

Hi Tammymacb,

Come join the Roll Call for the Caribbean Princess - August 17, 2017 British Isles cruise here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326305

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Hi !!

Just wanted to say we jumped ship as well from DCL (platinum) to Princess for the British Isles cruise. I liked the itinerary better on Princess and cost was almost half what DCL wanted for a verandah cabin.

We sail this year though (May 20th, 2016) so I will be able to answer any questions you have when we return June 1st.

-Laurie

I'm dying to hear your comparison. I'm excited (and nervous about switching from the Magic but I will not pay $14000 for a balcony.

Did you get your drink package when you booked? Right now there are really no deals on my cruise but I'm assuming as time goes on some will be added.

Princess ship's water is fine. Don't let anybody tell you different. I suggest that you do get the Unlimited Soda & More package for the college age folks. The mocktails are excellent!

I did the British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess August 1, 2013.

Here are some of the private tour companies I used for myself and others from our Roll Call.

Guernsey - I took the city bus around the island

Cobh - http://www.ecoach.ie

Dublin - http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com

- http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie

Liverpool - http://www.pooloflifetours.com (Beatle and city)

Belfast - http://www.odsseycoachtours.co.uk

Invergordon - http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk

LeHavre - http://www.overlordtour.com

All the private tours were picked from recommendations from past Cruise Critic passengers. I would recommend all the tour companies, much cheaper than Princess, smaller groups, we saw more than the Princess tours doing the same tour.

I and others would list the private tour on our Roll Call and other would say that would like to join in to make a group.

Princess has a paid shuttle for Dublin. I took a taxi into Dublin to Trinity College for the Book of Kell and then took the Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) bus and then a taxi back to the ship. I purchase the tickets online for the Book of Kell and HOHO.

HIGHLY recommend going to the Edinburgh Tattoo either through Princess or private. Shows during the week are at 9pm and Saturday 7pm and 9pm, with a 90 minute show with no intermission. Tickets go on sale Dec and if you join the Friend of the Tattoo can purchase tickets in Nov. Someone from your Roll Call, may want to share a taxi. There is a train into Edinburgh but does not run after the 9pm show.

Princess offers an excursion - on your own for Edinburgh during the day. There was a private shuttle (£10 ?) into Edinburgh during the day offered once you are off the tender, not advertised.

With only 2 sea days, most people went to bed early so a drink package might not be used. I bring a wide mouth plastic drinking bottle and fill up with water and ice from the buffet drink area.

Alot of people on the sea days used the self serve laundry machines and go early as passenger had spend time pre or post cruise in London.

Join your Roll Call. I check out other Roll Calls even last year's to see what they were doing with private tours.

Check out the Cruise Critic - Port of Call - Britain, a great place to ask questions.

Edited by phabric

Hi Tammy! And hi everyone else. One of Tammy's group here.

Thanks for the advice, all. I actually have never cruised another line besides Disney (5 cruises there thus far), so really appreciate the assistance.

Princess ship's water is fine. Don't let anybody tell you different. I suggest that you do get the Unlimited Soda & More package for the college age folks. The mocktails are excellent!

Thanks !

My "kids" (ages 19 and 22) are going to be ordering those mocktails no problem, I just wasn't sure if the drink package was worth it considering the short amount of time we are going to be on the ship on a British Isles cruise.

We have also gotten into the habit of ordering water when we go out to dinner these days. Only my son seems to crave carbonated beverages and even then he usually chooses low or no sugar options.

So now I realize part of the decision is affected by the size of the drinks...how large are the sodas and mocktails that they serve? if they're really small then it might make the drink package worth it?

I did the British Isles cruise on the Caribbean Princess August 1, 2013.

Here are some of the private tour companies I used for myself and others from our Roll Call.

Guernsey - I took the city bus around the island

Cobh - http://www.ecoach.ie

Dublin - http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com

- http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie

Liverpool - http://www.pooloflifetours.com (Beatle and city)

Belfast - http://www.odsseycoachtours.co.uk

Invergordon - http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk

LeHavre - http://www.overlordtour.com

All the private tours were picked from recommendations from past Cruise Critic passengers. I would recommend all the tour companies, much cheaper than Princess, smaller groups, we saw more than the Princess tours doing the same tour.

I and others would list the private tour on our Roll Call and other would say that would like to join in to make a group.

Princess has a paid shuttle for Dublin. I took a taxi into Dublin to Trinity College for the Book of Kell and then took the Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) bus and then a taxi back to the ship. I purchase the tickets online for the Book of Kell and HOHO.

HIGHLY recommend going to the Edinburgh Tattoo either through Princess or private. Shows during the week are at 9pm and Saturday 7pm and 9pm, with a 90 minute show with no intermission. Tickets go on sale Dec and if you join the Friend of the Tattoo can purchase tickets in Nov. Someone from your Roll Call, may want to share a taxi. There is a train into Edinburgh but does not run after the 9pm show.

Princess offers an excursion - on your own for Edinburgh during the day. There was a private shuttle (£10 ?) into Edinburgh during the day offered once you are off the tender, not advertised.

With only 2 sea days, most people went to bed early so a drink package might not be used. I bring a wide mouth plastic drinking bottle and fill up with water and ice from the buffet drink area.

Alot of people on the sea days used the self serve laundry machines and go early as passenger had spend time pre or post cruise in London.

Join your Roll Call. I check out other Roll Calls even last year's to see what they were doing with private tours.

Check out the Cruise Critic - Port of Call - Britain, a great place to ask questions.

This is great!

Hi Tammy! And hi everyone else. One of Tammy's group here.

Thanks for the advice, all. I actually have never cruised another line besides Disney (5 cruises there thus far), so really appreciate the assistance.

I think the 2 biggest differences between DCL and Princess are the decisions on the drink packages and the dining options.

My friends who have cruised both advised that the set dining option was more like DCL and they found the service was a little bit better than the other option because you had the same servers each day. The any time dining option can also have you waiting for a table at certain popular times. My TA suggested I pick the second seating set dining option also as she said it was easier to switch to any time dining than visa versa.

But I'm torn with that decision as well because I generally prefer to eat dinner earlier...

I'm dying to hear your comparison. I'm excited (and nervous about switching from the Magic but I will not pay $14000 for a balcony.

Did you get your drink package when you booked? Right now there are really no deals on my cruise but I'm assuming as time goes on some will be added.

I would never pay for the full drink package for us as we just don't drink enough alcohol to make it worth while.

We got it free with a balcony cabin reservation. Actually found out about the promotion here on cruise critic when someone posted about it on our roll call. When I told my TA it needed to be added to my reservation she had not yet heard about it yet. I think this was around the end of the summer 2015.

We booked our BI cruise end of March 2015 and yes for the first several months the roll call was super quiet and I spent the time researching the ports. I did manage to get 2015 prices for 2 of my tours because I booked them so early. I'll let you know how those tours went when I get back and you can decide if you want to go that route.

Glad you posted this question as I could use some reassurance as well. I've been cruising with DCL since 2002 and it is a little nerve-wracking jumping ship...