Packing help needed!

I could not figure that out, either. I've got curly hair that is several inches below my shoulders I can get 2 weeks' worth of shampooing/conditioning out of those TSA-compliant bottles, too… I could get more of the shampoo; I'll shower every day, but I don't shampoo every day, but I will just add a little conditioner to the hair to get rid of the tangles when I rinse it. Those hotel bottles I can use for about 5 nights (did this last month at a beach resort!)

There was an article in Cosmopolitan lately that showed up on my FB page - had the thing that women shampoo their hair way too often with way too much product. Since I've changed my shampooing habit to once every 4 days (a few years ago), my hair has actually started to grow more and my stylist says (as currently as last week) my hair has never been healthier.

I only wash my hair every 3-4 days at home, but when I'm in the pools and/or ocean all day I need to wash it. I didn't buy TSA compliant bottles, I bought the small bottles of the Redken products I use. I have long hair too, just below my bra strap, and tons of it. I hate drying it because it takes so long.

I only wash my hair every 3-4 days at home, but when I'm in the pools and/or ocean all day I need to wash it. I didn't buy TSA compliant bottles, I bought the small bottles of the Redken products I use. I have long hair too, just below my bra strap, and tons of it. I hate drying it because it takes so long.

I was just 10 days relaxing on 2 beaches in Puerto Rico. I still didn't wash it every night - I did a good rinsing of it to get out the salt and then did a little conditioner. I took a selfie to show my stylist how nice and curly and not frizzy my hair was - she had never seen it so curly (I live in a low-humidity area). I will admit I had a great routine - come back from the beach, do my shower. Add a dime-size of my serum to my hair and another dime-size dollop of Ouidad Climate Control on it. Sit out on the veranda and read on my iPad for about an hour to relax even more. By then, my hair would be pretty much dry. I left it as and went out for the night.

Get the GoTubes (the real ones). I found them at Target. I'm able to put 2 1.7 oz travel size of the Redken product into one GoTube. I bring 2 GoTubes of shampoo & 2 GoTubes of conditioner for a 10 night cruise, washing my hair once per day & usually have a bit left over, plenty of room in that quart size bag

OK i just read through this whole thread. NC you are a trooper. I bring all the same stuff you do. And manage my own luggage. We always get off the ship with self disembark. My heavy unairline friendly lovely leather luggage piggybacks together. I manage it all with my 10 dresses and matching shoes and 4bathing suits and cover ups and shorts and all. I do not have a garment bag, its in my suitcase.

For all the people that yelled at her about not being in a fashion show. I like dresses! I do not wear boring black pants at home with interchangeable tops so why would I or she on a cruise. She just wanted packing tips. All the people that gave her tips, hooray. I watched all sorts of packing videos... now I am looking at cubes and folders.

Pack away NC, I bet your pictures are great!

I recently just purchased some LUG bags for my upcoming trip and they are amazing!

They have one bag called the Weekender and it's the perfect carry on size. I may actually be able to bring my medium suitcase instead of my large one based on the size of this bag. I also was able to get some packing cubes, which I will use for various outfits. Lucky for me, they are currently having an online warehouse sales, so I went a bit crazy but I'm completely happy with everything I bought and it will make packing so much easier.

OK i just read through this whole thread. NC you are a trooper. I bring all the same stuff you do. And manage my own luggage. We always get off the ship with self disembark. My heavy unairline friendly lovely leather luggage piggybacks together. I manage it all with my 10 dresses and matching shoes and 4bathing suits and cover ups and shorts and all. I do not have a garment bag, its in my suitcase.

For all the people that yelled at her about not being in a fashion show. I like dresses! I do not wear boring black pants at home with interchangeable tops so why would I or she on a cruise. She just wanted packing tips. All the people that gave her tips, hooray. I watched all sorts of packing videos... now I am looking at cubes and folders.

Pack away NC, I bet your pictures are great!

[emoji8][emoji156][emoji168][emoji160][emoji126]

I was just 10 days relaxing on 2 beaches in Puerto Rico. I still didn't wash it every night - I did a good rinsing of it to get out the salt and then did a little conditioner. I took a selfie to show my stylist how nice and curly and not frizzy my hair was - she had never seen it so curly (I live in a low-humidity area). I will admit I had a great routine - come back from the beach, do my shower. Add a dime-size of my serum to my hair and another dime-size dollop of Ouidad Climate Control on it. Sit out on the veranda and read on my iPad for about an hour to relax even more. By then, my hair would be pretty much dry. I left it as and went out for the night.

You're fortunate you can air-dry your hair! My hair is neither curly, nor straight. Instead, it has a bit of wave, but not enough to look good without work. It also tends to look frizzy when I don't blow dry it with products and a round brush. I'm quite lazy with it at home, although I have been curling it more lately. I typically shower at night, after my workout, and just curl, flat-iron or pull it back in the morning.

You're fortunate you can air-dry your hair! My hair is neither curly, nor straight. Instead, it has a bit of wave, but not enough to look good without work. It also tends to look frizzy when I don't blow dry it with products and a round brush. I'm quite lazy with it at home, although I have been curling it more lately. I typically shower at night, after my workout, and just curl, flat-iron or pull it back in the morning.

We sound like hair twins. My hair has the texture of curly hair without actually being curly, and even though it's shortish (a bob), if I even thought about letting it air dry at sea I would look like bozo the clown. Often, with the cruise hair dryer I do anyway. It's just bad.

At home I use a T2 dryer and a little product, round brush, and at this length it's controllable. Any longer and I have to use more product and flat iron.

Edit: hmm, maybe this upcoming cruise is when I'll finally break down and bring my own dryer.

Edited by AdoraBelle

I never thought I would find one product for after shampooing until I was talked into yet another bottle of stuff at my newest salon after we moved here. Yahooooo! It detaggles like crazy, it is color safe, it makes my hair super shiny and it doesn't weigh it down like most rinse out conditioners. I have long but fine very dark brown hair. Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri Wheat Leave In Conditioner is fantastic! The travel size will last me a month of every day washes as it just takes a few spritzes to make me tangle free and shiny. I think it is like my hunt for the perfect mascara. I tried everything from dime store brands up to Chanel and the very best is still Maybelline's Big Lash. Just search Ulta online for Sexy Hair as they have several lines like Big Sexy, Shiny Sexy, Blond Sexy, etc. I tried using the regular moisturizing conditioner and it was too much for my hair so I just use the leave in as does my stylist here for fine hair. You might try reading the reviews for their other stuff and see if one may work where you use 2 now. I love that Ulta has so many things in travel size for trying things out. Thankfully this next cruise uses Aveeno products so I don't need to take shampoo or lotion. I will check out their body wash before we go as I find many are drying. If it isn't great then I'll see if Ancorage has a Bath and Body Works since we have 2 overnights there.

Edited by NorthernLite

No, the shampoo was only 1.7 ounces. I think the conditioner was about the same.

Get refillable 3 oz. bottles and just fill them from the regular size bottles. Even if you had to take 2 of each, it would likely be less room than full size bottles of product.

Hopefully no one flew out of Phoenix today. The whole luggage system collapsed.

A good reason to carry on at least a minimal wardrobe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We sound like hair twins. My hair has the texture of curly hair without actually being curly, and even though it's shortish (a bob), if I even thought about letting it air dry at sea I would look like bozo the clown. Often, with the cruise hair dryer I do anyway. It's just bad.

At home I use a T2 dryer and a little product, round brush, and at this length it's controllable. Any longer and I have to use more product and flat iron.

Edit: hmm, maybe this upcoming cruise is when I'll finally break down and bring my own dryer.

I use have have a T3 featherlight or something like that, it was awesome!! I sent it out for repairs once but the second time it broke I replaced it and saved a few bucks and went with a Chi. I always take my own, the ones the ship provides would take forever to dry my hair. I'm sure you'll be much happier next time bringing your own.

I never thought I would find one product for after shampooing until I was talked into yet another bottle of stuff at my newest salon after we moved here. Yahooooo! It detaggles like crazy, it is color safe, it makes my hair super shiny and it doesn't weigh it down like most rinse out conditioners. I have long but fine very dark brown hair. Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri Wheat Leave In Conditioner is fantastic! The travel size will last me a month of every day washes as it just takes a few spritzes to make me tangle free and shiny. I think it is like my hunt for the perfect mascara. I tried everything from dime store brands up to Chanel and the very best is still Maybelline's Big Lash. Just search Ulta online for Sexy Hair as they have several lines like Big Sexy, Shiny Sexy, Blond Sexy, etc. I tried using the regular moisturizing conditioner and it was too much for my hair so I just use the leave in as does my stylist here for fine hair. You might try reading the reviews for their other stuff and see if one may work where you use 2 now. I love that Ulta has so many things in travel size for trying things out. Thankfully this next cruise uses Aveeno products so I don't need to take shampoo or lotion. I will check out their body wash before we go as I find many are drying. If it isn't great then I'll see if Ancorage has a Bath and Body Works since we have 2 overnights there.

Im glad you found something that works so well for you! [emoji4] I feel the same about the products I use. When you have blonde hair it's not easy finding products that make your hair look healthy and shiny, but after many years of trying different products, I am very happy with what I'm using.

Get refillable 3 oz. bottles and just fill them from the regular size bottles. Even if you had to take 2 of each, it would likely be less room than full size bottles of product.

I was wrong, the conditioner was only 1 oz. lol The full size bottles I use in my shower wouldn't take anymore room than multiple small bottles. The kit I have to carry them is has a place for them and the height won't make a difference, just the width.

I was wrong, the conditioner was only 1 oz. lol The full size bottles I use in my shower wouldn't take anymore room than multiple small bottles. The kit I have to carry them is has a place for them and the height won't make a difference, just the width.

Isn't it good to know how much product you're using? Valuable info for traveling.

Remember you don't have to buy the travel sizes, can decant from your larger bottles to smaller ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Im glad you found something that works so well for you! [emoji4] I feel the same about the products I use. When you have blonde hair it's not easy finding products that make your hair look healthy and shiny, but after many years of trying different products, I am very happy with what I'm using.

Another space saver, at least when returning, is to save one of each product when it gets to what you would need for the cruise. Then you just toss them when you repack and have space for any souveniers. If we are staying a day or two before flying home I either use the hotel's stuff or pack the small minis. Well, except for the leave in conditioner travel size. :)

This next cruise I am trying out new eye shadow palettes because the singles I've carried before tend to roll all over and get lost in the cabin, in my make up bag... A regular pain in the butt. For me, as long as it works for me and is travel friendly I am happy. Just wish it didn't take so many trials to find perfection.

Just wish it didn't take so many trials to find perfection.

I consider it CQI [continuous quality improvement] :D. I love to travel for leisure and have been lucky to be able to travel to some interesting places internationally for work as well. That means that for many of my trips, it's not easy or even possible to just pop out to a drug store if I forget something I need, nor are hotel amenities available. Each trip helps me figure out better what certain trips or locations require, and of course -there are new products on the market all the time.

Sadly, sometimes some favorites are discontinued too:eek: But I love the process!!!

Here's how pack. I use space bags. I also roll up groups of clothing, like all my shorts or ll of my tops together. I color coordinate. I like to do the combination of blue, tan and white. I have a top that has those 3 colors in it. Then I bring navy shorts to go with it. I add just one color extra to only one piece, such as a yellow top or yellow shorts. All tops will go with all bottoms, etc. That way you use every piece to the most advantage. My husband taught me a trick years ago. Every inch gets used. Roll socks up and stuff them into shoes, the bag you bring for dirty clothes can start out with clean clothes. If possible, bring only one set of shampoo, rinse and toothpaste for all the people in your group. Ziplock bags are great for all kinds of things. One person many years ago said it helps to bring along some duct tape because hems come apart, and many other uses. What I did was take an old toilet paper tube, smashed it flat and wound a bunch of duct tape onto it. Luckily we didn't need it. Hope you have a great cruise. Oh and it helps to have a small clutch handbag on a wristband with a pouch for those many times where you only need to go down to the lobby for something or you only plan on being out of your cabin to get an ice cream or something. You can put your pass in the clutch with your cellphone.

Sadly, sometimes some favorites are discontinued too:eek: But I love the process!!!

Like Cliniques Raspberry Glacee lipgloss. Everything I have tried is too sheer, too sticky, wrong color in normal light, too matte, etc. It was my daytime staple. My current basic is a MAC lipstick that actually changed color when it sat unused after it was the wrong color in normal light, way too pink. A year later the pink had darkened and it works but I'd prefer a more lightweight lipstick for day.

Another item I wish I had bought several of was what has been my standard white soft kid flats for warm weather vacations. I noticed that a few flecks of the white dyed outer layer of leather on the inside had come lose while we were unpacking after our Down Under cruise. Took me awhile to remember where I got them. They were a trial run by Easy Spirit for an off shoot brand called True Spirit. Got them and a light blue pair on a 2 for 1 at an outlet in 2004 when we were driving back and forth as my my Father In Law became steadily worse down in Florida and we were in Maryland. Every shoe close to them in style and soft leather has some huge designer buckle or embossing on them.

QCI, I like the idea!

We are going to be in Europe for almost a month and I'm stressing on packing. We are going to Europe and shipping one big piece of luggage with cruise items to our hotel in Athens. But we will be traveling in Europe for 2 weeks and don't want to carry a lot. Would like to only bring 2 small carryons there but I don't think I can do it. We are traveling on smaller airlines and the carryons can only weight 22 pounds :(.

Would like to only bring 2 small carryons there but I don't think I can do it. We are traveling on smaller airlines and the carryons can only weight 22 pounds :(.

Totally doable but search other threads for suggestions and actual packing lists from people who have done it :D This is NOT a carry-on only thread....

• 1 month later...

We did it! We went from 7 bags for 2 people to 5 bags (2 were backpacks) for 3. We walked right off the ship with them no problem. Love self-assist and can't imagine going back to our old ways. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising