Dressing for formal night?

tammymacb

Simple question. I have no interest in starting drama.

We're sailing the BI in 2017. Party of 7. We've got to fly to Europe. Quite frankly, I'm not excited about packing formal clothes. (Quite frankly, I'm not excited about formal clothes when I sail from FLA, and drive there).

I know that in the MDR a jacket will be required.

Other options? Would we need a jacket in the paid dining venues? Or should we just hit the buffet that night?

Luckily we've only got one formal night. I'm reading I have to pack for all seasons and I don't really want to deal with black tie too.

Thanks.

Formal night dress is only requested in the Main Dining Rooms (traditional or anytime).

On all nights, both casual and formal, the Specialty restaurants are come-as-you-are. Anything beyond pool attire will be fine.

Simple question. I have no interest in starting drama.

We're sailing the BI in 2017. Party of 7. We've got to fly to Europe. Quite frankly, I'm not excited about packing formal clothes. (Quite frankly, I'm not excited about formal clothes when I sail from FLA, and drive there).

I know that in the MDR a jacket will be required.

Other options? Would we need a jacket in the paid dining venues? Or should we just hit the buffet that night?

Luckily we've only got one formal night. I'm reading I have to pack for all seasons and I don't really want to deal with black tie too.

Thanks.

You don't need a jacket to go to the MDR on formal night.

If you want make a tiny bit of effort just pack a tie. If it were me and I was worried about space and weight (which I'm, I'd wear a sport coat on the plane so you don't have to pack it.

I also wear the sport jacket for air travel, and use it on formal nights sans the tie. Never had a problem.

I hate to get involved these "dress" threads, so I will just say that I can read the dress code, I understand English and therefor adhere to the code....to me its pretty simple. I take my tux or dinner jacket, never feel embarrassed about not being properly dressed, my tux weighs no more that a suit or a sports jacket...well maybe the cummerbund weighs an extra 2 oz. :rolleyes:

Formal night dress is only requested in the Main Dining Rooms (traditional or anytime).

On all nights, both casual and formal, the Specialty restaurants are come-as-you-are. Anything beyond pool attire will be fine.

So can I wear shorts and singlet with thongs, that's beyond pool attire surely.

I hate to get involved these "dress" threads, so I will just say that I can read the dress code, I understand English and therefor adhere to the code....to me its pretty simple. I take my tux or dinner jacket, never feel embarrassed about not being properly dressed, my tux weighs no more that a suit or a sports jacket...well maybe the cummerbund weighs an extra 2 oz. :rolleyes:

I so agree, I rarely take a Tux, but a dark suit every time, but hey I knew the requirements when I booked the cruise.

All the snarky comments could easily be avoided. The question was answered by the first poster.

Neither my husband nor myself would show up in the dining room in "cut offs and thongs". If I had to guess my husband would wear dark pants, a white button down and a tie. I'm encouraging leaving the suit coat home. I'd wear a dress. Nothing beady or viva Las Vegas. Easy to pack and simple with black sandals. That's as formal as I have any intention of getting.

If this isn't formal enough, I'll eat somewhere else. Easy peasy.

I'm always shocked by "if you booked the cruise you'd know you were supposed to bring those clothes". I know and if I choose not to, I'll go somewhere else.

On casual dinners I wear a skirt or capris and a simple top. DH khakis and polos or button shirts. We always look presentable.

If you all want to fly extra suitcases for beaded gowns and tuxs have at it. Not my thing.

But try to be as pleasant as you feel you look when you're dressed.

All the snarky comments could easily be avoided. The question was answered by the first poster.

If this isn't formal enough, I'll eat somewhere else. Easy peasy.

I'm always shocked by "if you booked the cruise you'd know you were supposed to bring those clothes". I know and if I choose not to, I'll go somewhere else.

But try to be as pleasant as you feel you look when you're dressed.

This question has only been asked 100's of times on CC so a suggestion might be, to make it easier next time, to just google "Dressing For Formal Nights on Princess?" and it will all be there for you......otherwise the Tux's and The Casuals love to go at each other in these threads regarding Formal Nights......:)

Edited by PrincessLuver

Neither my husband nor myself would show up in the dining room in "cut offs and thongs". If I had to guess my husband would wear dark pants, a white button down and a tie. I'm encouraging leaving the suit coat home. I'd wear a dress. Nothing beady or viva Las Vegas. Easy to pack and simple with black sandals. That's as formal as I have any intention of getting.

This the way we've always done it on Princess and never once have had any rejections on entering the dining room on formal nights.

My friends were on their very first cruise on the Regal in the caribbean last month. The gentleman did not want to bring a sport coat and was NOT allowed in the dining room.

Wonder what he was actually wearing and could that have been the reason instead of no sport foat? After all you are only giving us one side of his story. Have never been turned away for not wearing a suit coat.

We were on the Ruby last week --- We saw several gentlemen without jackets on formal nights. One guy worn an aloha shirt both nights.

I wear a jacket over a sport shirt, and I prefer not to wear a tie. I did not feel under-dressed.

Our friend was wearing a pair of slacks with a nice button up shirt. He also said that all others with no coat did not get in. Maybe just that Maitre Ds call that day.

We used to see that years ago on other Princess ships but not so much lately.

Sounds like a call made by that one person. Bet the Passenger Services Desk heard about it from several people. I do wish Princess would get consistent, one way or the other, on many of their allowances.

Our friend was wearing a pair of slacks with a nice button up shirt. He also said that all others with no coat did not get in. Maybe just that Maitre Ds call that day.

We used to see that years ago on other Princess ships but not so much lately.

I haven't worn a jacket in over 10 years on formal nights and have yet to run across a head waiter or MaitreD that enforces it that strictly.

My friends were on their very first cruise on the Regal in the caribbean last month. The gentleman did not want to bring a sport coat and was NOT allowed in the dining room.

I can't argue for not being there. But for many years of cruising on Princess, I have yet to see one being denied into the MDR just for not wearing a coat.