Washington with a young family.

PEMCO007

Hi, looking at doing a cruise out of Baltimore in August, but would like to take the opportunity to stay in Washington D.C for a few days. I am unfamiliar with this city and wondered if anyone has any advice on areas to stay/avoid . We would like a 4 star hotel and be good to walk to food if possible. I have only just decided on doing this itinerary so haven't done any research at the moment, as you guys have pointed me in the right direction many times before, I thought this would be a good starting point.

Thanks in advance

As you have a family, I would suggest the Embassy Suites near Congress. As transit (subway) is pretty good, you could use most of the rest of the Embassy Suites in the area, but the one near Congress is walking distance to all of the major sites.

After that, it is just walking. Tons of things to do- great museums, (Smithsonians are amazing) all the US government buildings (White House), etc. The only question is what you do in your limited time.

I would suggest a guidebook with a focus on Washington.

Yes, Crystal City would be fantastic. Look for places with access to the Metro. They sell all day passes (unlimited rides) for $14.50. Well worth it. This also opens the door to stay in nice areas that have Metro stations like Bethesda, Rockville in MD, or even Tyson's Corner in VA (that last one, a Hyatt I believe, has direct access to the Tyson's station on the Silver Line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tell us a little more. Day of week, budget, what you want to do. Will you have a car?

There are a lot of options in the DC area. It's kind of important to understand the DC doesn't really have a "downtown". The major attractions are located along the National Mall, but there are things to do away from the Mall. There are a number of restaurant/entertainment areas in the city, most of which are away from the Mall. And, as mentioned, there are the suburbs, with Crystal City being one of the better known areas. Crystal City and Pentagon City are very reachable by Metro, but they're also kind of away from things to do, especially if you don't have a car. And, they can be just as expensive during the week as downtown DC, but you can't really generalize either one.

What are you interested in doing while you're here?

I like the Omni Shoreham. It's near the National Zoo and the metro station. There are also several restaurants within walking distance.

Another area that's good for kids is the National Harbor where there are lots of stores, restaurants and even a ferry to Alexandria. It's outside of DC but there's a free bus that will take you to the Metro station.

Tell us a little more. Day of week, budget, what you want to do. Will you have a car?

There are a lot of options in the DC area. It's kind of important to understand the DC doesn't really have a "downtown". The major attractions are located along the National Mall, but there are things to do away from the Mall. There are a number of restaurant/entertainment areas in the city, most of which are away from the Mall. And, as mentioned, there are the suburbs, with Crystal City being one of the better known areas. Crystal City and Pentagon City are very reachable by Metro, but they're also kind of away from things to do, especially if you don't have a car. And, they can be just as expensive during the week as downtown DC, but you can't really generalize either one.

What are you interested in doing while you're here?

Let me second these questions. Folks on here can be most helpful if we have a sense of what you want to spend, how old your kids are, what you are interested in.

Crystal City, for example, is a short Metro ride into DC, but it is totally lacking in charm. Maybe a trade off if you get a good hotel deal. Of, if you want to be in DC itself, there are any number of hotels that are a walk, or a quick taxi ride, or a Metro ride to the things you'll likely want to visit.

Some posters above have suggested Tysons Corner or Bethesda as places to stay. I really would advise against that, you'd be spending far too much time commuting.

Please also keep in mind that August in DC is typically hot and horribly humid.

There are many different neighborhoods in DC all with a different vibe and charm. If you like shopping and being close to the waterfront, I'd recommend Georgetown but it is very expensive. There are also areas like Downtown (near the White House), Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, Logan Circle, Foggy Bottom and Woodley Park, which is near the Zoo as someone mentioned above. I'd stay away from any other areas because you have small kids. There are variations in apparent safety, as with any city, from neighborhood to neighborhood and even from one street to the next that may be of no concern to single adults but I wouldn't take young children.

But, overall, DC is a fairly safe city in general and the METRO is one of the nicest and cleanest subways I've been on. Your kids will get a kick out of the futuristic architecture in the stations and the very long escalators. Also, take a tour of the Kennedy Center. It is absolutely beautiful with stunning views of the Potomac. I think on most Saturday mornings they do a free children's presentation. Check their website for more details.

I'd also visit the Newseum. I've been a couple of times and enjoy myself so much I wish I could make it there more than once a year. I think it gets overshadowed by the other more popular Smithsonian museums but it's definitely with a day's visit. During the summer, they usually offer a special where kids are free with a paid adult admission. Prepare yourself for the very emotional 9/11 exhibit. It's been almost 15 years but it still feels so raw after seeing the exhibit.

You want to get tickets to get into the White House. I'm not certain of the current procedure but it will be something the kids will always remember plus they study it in school.

While it's certainly fun to see the inside of the White House, the OP is from the UK, not sure how much her kids "study it in school." :)

Also, because the OP is a citizen of a foreign country (I'm making that assumption since she lives in the UK), it appears that she would need to contact the British embassy in Washington for assistance in submitting a tour request:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/participate/tours-and-events

While it's certainly fun to see the inside of the White House, the OP is from the UK, not sure how much her kids "study it in school." :)

Also, because the OP is a citizen of a foreign country (I'm making that assumption since she lives in the UK), it appears that she would need to contact the British embassy in Washington for assistance in submitting a tour request:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/participate/tours-and-events

Oops. Lol. Then my second choice for kids would be the space museum lol

What's nice about the Air & Space is you have the IMAX theater... Oh, here's one of the best kept secrets, when visiting the museums on the National Mall, try to use the entrances that face Constitution and Independence Avenues, you'll get in a lot quicker. When using the entrances off the Mall, because of security and all the tourists, the line is always long and slow.

Oops. Lol. Then my second choice for kids would be the space museum lol

What's nice about the Air & Space is you have the IMAX theater...

The Air & Space Museum is a great place for most kids. Also the National Museum of Natural History (another Smithsonian museum, and it too has an IMAX theatre).

Nice Hilton at the King Street Metro station in Fairfax. Great area of Old Town with easy transport to the city.

Also, since you have a young family, keep in mind that Washington is unbelievable hot and humid in the summer. You should plan as much as possible in Air Conditioned areas.

Edited by dkjretired

Speaking of the National Zoo, when going there by Metro, do NOT use the Woodley Park - Zoo Station, it's quite a hike up hill and it's NOT the closest station. Use the Cleveland Park Station. It's 106 feet closer and relatively flat, then when you leave, enjoy the walk DOWN HILL to the Woodley Park Station. Both are on the Red Line.

• 2 weeks later...
Look for places with access to the Metro. They sell all day passes (unlimited rides) for $14.50. Well worth it.

Actually the all-day pass on DC's Metro is not a good deal for most tourists. Very few will spend that much in a day if they just get a regular SmarTrip card for each person. It is only a savings if their hotel is very far out of the city near the end of the Metro line.