Los Angeles - Hawaii itinerary

MSBerliner

Good morning all. We've sailed three times to Hawaii from Los Angeles. It is four days outbound, visit four ports in Hawaii, then five days plus Ensenada, Mexico on the return.

We would actually prefer to do the opposite. Depart Los Angeles, sail one day to Ensenada, Mexico to accomplish the statutory requirement, then sail five days TO Hawaii, visit, then sail four days back to LA.

I believe passengers would prefer the latter arrangement. After all, anticipation certainly adds to the flavor of the outbound voyage. The homeward trip is very nice, but by then there is nothing else to anticipate.

For us it's the same when going to Alaska. We sail to Whittier, visit and then fly home.

In the 1950s American President Lines offered ship passage to Hawaii, then flew passengers home on their own airline. They used the same logic as I expressed above.

What do you think, both you who have sailed to Hawaii and those who are ANTICIPATING a cruise to Hawaii?

Thanks, it will be interesting to see how you feel about the question.:):):):)

We've done many Hawaii R/T cruises and never really thought about it.

APL could do one-way because it was a U.S. flagged vessel.

The main reason I can think of for not doing Ensenada first, is that you would arrive there around 2:00 AM (give or take a few hours) -- it would be hard to pass it off as a "real" port call at that hour.

Before they made it a real port, it was called it a technical port call. The ship would pull in at night, do some paperwork and leave right away. If you went to bed early you would never know you had visited Mexico.

We liked the one way repo cruises from Honolulu to Ensenada - but they are pretty much gone. We never did or wanted to do the reverse of those.

Aloha! :)

If the call at Ensenada preceded the Hawaii ports then everyone would have to go through Immigration screening upon arrival in Hawaii, which would either delay opening the gangway for several hours if conducted on board, or have everyone snaking though disembarkation-day queues in the terminal. That is why Ensenada is the final stop, just at Victoria is the final stop on the round-trip Seattle cruises to Alaska.

Another practical issue is that if the itinerary was flipped to five days outbound/four days inbound the slack for making up time if there are weather delays or any other issues eastbound is gone, putting on-time disembarkation in jeopardy. Conversely even if the ship leaves Ensenada no later than noon on Day 2 not heading directly to Honolulu from Los Angeles increases the possibility of westbound delays at the start of the cruise.

I know the OP asked the question solely to gauge personal preference, but this proposal is simply not feasible; wracking your brain over it is just tilting at windmills.

Ditto what Fishywood posted. If you stopped in Mexico first then you would have long delays at the first port in Hawaii going through Immigration and Customs. Also doubt that the Hawaii ports have sufficient Immigration and Customs staff to handle a full ship of passengers.

It is the same reason the 28 day South Pacific voyage stops at Hawaii first and then has 8 straight sea days back from Tahiti.

If the call at Ensenada preceded the Hawaii ports then everyone would have to go through Immigration screening upon arrival in Hawaii, which would either delay opening the gangway for several hours if conducted on board, or have everyone snaking though disembarkation-day queues in the terminal. That is why Ensenada is the final stop, just at Victoria is the final stop on the round-trip Seattle cruises to Alaska.

On our last cruise out of LA, the first stop was Ensenada and when we got to Oahu, there was not any immigration at all. Easy walk off.

As you can see by my signature we did the LA to Hawaii in April 2013.

First stop the next day around 10am was Ensenada. I think we left port around 4pm.

We did not get off the ship as we both have lived on the Arizona / Mexico border and to us Ensenada isn't special. We treated it like another sea day which we totally enjoy. :)

For out future cruise this October, Ensenada is the last port before we return to LA.

Not a big deal either way, as long as we are enjoying our cruise. :D

Ditto what Fishywood posted. If you stopped in Mexico first then you would have long delays at the first port in Hawaii going through Immigration and Customs. Also doubt that the Hawaii ports have sufficient Immigration and Customs staff to handle a full ship of passengers.

I agree that the immigration/customs thing is the show stopper. I really think that they do have plenty of personnel in Honolulu. So, that would have to be the first stop. The problem would be cranky passengers who do not understand that they can't leave the ship without going through the procedure.

Last October we were on a California Coastal Cruise that visited Ensenada, then San Diego, then returned to Los Angeles. The procedure in San Diego was really not the difficult, but the instructions we received in our cabin the night before were written very poorly, and, so, were quite confusing. Here is the thing. The one thing that was very clear in the instructions was that you had to bring your passport for inspection--either to Club Fusion or to an inspection site at the terminal building. I could not believe all the complaints that I heard from people who were sent back to their cabin to retrieve their passport.

Also, going through the immigration check in San Diego did not mean that we did not have to go through Customs in Los Angeles. We did.

In response to the OP, I personally would not have any preference on doing Ensenada at the beginning or the end of the LA-HI-LA itinerary. Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

On our last cruise out of LA, the first stop was Ensenada and when we got to Oahu, there was not any immigration at all. Easy walk off.

You snuck in while I was composing.

Wow, I find that very surprising.

I'm doing my first L.A./Hawaii trip in February. I disagree with the OP about the anticipation. I just want to get to Hawaii, after enjoying my sea days. At least on the way back there's one more stop before I have to get off in L.A. (although from all that I've read, I see no reason to get off at Ensenada)

From what others have posted, it doesn't seem a feasible, or even good idea to swap the stops, so to speak.

Most often, Hilo is the first port of call in the Hawaiian Island Chain. It is a short port (9-5ish). The ship would have to go through immigrations before the passengers are released. This could take a really long time in a really short port.

I am a Hilo fan and would prefer to have as much time as possible in this port.

PS. My strange experience. Left San Pedro for Hilo then Honolulu. I was "delivering" Christmas gifts to my children in Honolulu. Got to the gangway loaded with sacks of stuff. ALL purchased from Trader Joes, Macy's etc. We did not stop in Ensenada on the way over. US to US port. STOPPED! Did I clear customs? Did I have a declared form prepared? Did I.... I was detained for 30 minutes (as my frantic daughter circled the parking lot wondering where I was). Security officer went on a hunt for immigration and custom officials in the terminal. I explained to them that these were all goods, in their original packaging, from US to US. Finally, security came back and said go. No explanation. I doubt anyone was found to "clear" me. But was sternly warned that if I should do this again, that I must let passenger services know that I was taking these things off the ship the night before. You can do this when flying, but not on a passenger ship.

We've done this itinerary several times. We've done it both ways, with Ensenada first the very next day, something like 9 or 10am till 4 or 5, then off to Hawaii - no immigration checks in Hawaii, and with Ensenada at the end, day before pulling into LA. Either way, it's bee. A great trip. We hope to enjoy Ensenada and always get off the ship, have a walk around, sometimes visit La Bufadora, have some fish tacos, etc. Others don't get off the ship at all while there for whatever reasons. To each their own. It's a great trip no matter what order it's in.

Enjoy.

We did a San Francisco to Hawaii Christmas & New Years trip in 2014. Our first full day was a sea day and the following day we were in Ensenada. I do not remember having to go through customs when we arrived in Hilo.

We are doing the L.A. to Hawaii Christmas & New Years trip this year again. I just checked our itinerary. Our first full day will be in Ensenada.

I am happy to get Ensenada out of the way because we don't care for Ensenada.

We did a San Francisco to Hawaii Christmas & New Years trip in 2014. Our first full day was a sea day and the following day we were in Ensenada. I do not remember having to go through customs when we arrived in Hilo.

We are doing the L.A. to Hawaii Christmas & New Years trip this year again. I just checked our itinerary. Our first full day will be in Ensenada.

I am happy to get Ensenada out of the way because we don't care for Ensenada.

We are on that cruise too, and I was just going to post this same comment. I will add that on our cruise they stop in Ensenada first so that we are not in port on Christmas or New Years when most places are closed.

Hi Vette Gal,

Your posting suggests that in December 2016 there is a cruise you've booked that FIRST calls at Ensenada then sails on to Hawaii. I cannot find it on the Princess web site. Please help. Many thanks, MSBERLINER.

Hi Vette Gal,

Your posting suggests that in December 2016 there is a cruise you've booked that FIRST calls at Ensenada then sails on to Hawaii. I cannot find it on the Princess web site. Please help. Many thanks, MSBERLINER.

Star Princess Dec 20

Day Port / Date Arrive Depart

1 Los Angeles, California Tuesday, December 20 4:00 PM

2 Ensenada, Mexico Wednesday, December 21 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

3 At Sea Thursday, December 22

4 At Sea Friday, December 23

5 At Sea Saturday, December 24

6 At Sea Sunday, December 25

7 Honolulu, Hawaii Monday, December 26 7:00 AM 11:00 PM

8 Maui (Lahaina), Hawaii Tuesday, December 27(Tender) 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

9 Kauai (Nawiliwili), Hawaii Wednesday, December 28 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

10 Hilo, Hawaii Thursday, December 29 9:00 AM 6:00 PM

11 At Sea Friday, December 30

12 At Sea Saturday, December 31

13 At Sea Sunday, January 1

14 At Sea Monday, January 2

15 At Sea Tuesday, January 3

16 Los Angeles, California Wednesday, January 4 7:00 AM

We did the LA to Hawaii RTs three times with the final day in Ensenada. That was our day to pack and hang out at the pool. I call it a stationary day at sea. No matter when that stop falls during a cruise, I have no interest in seeing that town again.

On our last cruise, we would be in a port on Christmas, so the Honolulu and Lahaina ports were switched so that we would be in Maui on Christmas (which worked out fine for us as I found out Whaler's Village would be open).

Hi Vette Gal,

Here are the details of that cruise:

From Los Angeles, California to Los Angeles, California

Dec 20, 2016 to Jan 04, 2017

Star Princess

15 Days

Voyage 9701

Many thanks Vette Gal. Now I am able to find it on line. But, WOW is it expensive! I guess that's the way with holiday cruises. Thanks to everyone for assisting with their preferences. Perhaps someday we will join a transatlantic cruise, visit in Europe for a few days, then fly home. So long for now.

Many thanks Vette Gal. Now I am able to find it on line. But, WOW is it expensive! I guess that's the way with holiday cruises. Thanks to everyone for assisting with their preferences. Perhaps someday we will join a transatlantic cruise, visit in Europe for a few days, then fly home. So long for now.

The Hawaii cruises have become outrageously expensive. That's because they have cut down the number of voyages. It used to a dedicated ship doing back to backs twice a month from San Pedro AND San Francisco. (Total 4 voyages from West Coast.)

Voyages have been less than 2 a month. Some months had none.

Bring back the voyages, Princess.