Just back from a lovely BVE on the Crown in San Pedro

miagirl

The weather was perfect and the ship is in excellent condition. This was our first time on the Crown and she seemed so very large to us, our last trip being on the Pacific.

We arrived at the terminal around a quarter to 11 and check-in was very smooth. I had read that it would be best to say we were here for the “Bon Voyage Experience”, rather than just “BVE”, but that wasn’t necessary. By the time we had reached the second of the terminal, I’d say “Bon Voyage Experience” and the staff would say, “Oh, you’re here for the BVB”. We were the first to arrive in the waiting area and although I’d been told that there were 40 people signed up by boarding time there were only about 12 people waiting. For the first time ever we were the first people on the ship (aside from the in transit passengers). What an incredible feeling to have that whole ship all to ourselves!

My main purpose for going on the BVE was to secure a couple of FCCs as we were out of them. I got my hands on a Patter to see if the FFC office would be staffed while we were on the ship. Nope, but we made our way there anyway. The FCC forms were out, alongside a sign that proclaimed “for current voyage passengers only”. Mmmm. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I filled out the form putting “BVE” in the space for the cabin number, added out Captain’s Circle number as well as my phone number and crossing my fingers, dropped the form into the box. This morning our FCCs were waiting in our email. Success!

We had an excellent lunch in the dining room. I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has raved about the salmon the embarkation day lunch menu. I had never tried it, but one the strength of so much praise I ordered it. Even DH who is not a salmon fan proclaimed it very good indeed. Equally, I had never indulged in the orange soufflé. YUM!

Regarding the great butter rationing question – we sat at a table for two; there were two pats of butter waiting. DH promptly devoured two rolls and then our meal arrived. DH declined the offered wine (he’s the driver) and the waiter asked if I would like two glasses. Well, I was on pretend vacation, right?

We were sad to leave at 2:30. It made us wonder if they ever have any difficulty rounding up the BVE people and getting off to get them off the ship? We were making little pretend PA announcements as we made our way to the gangplank. “Would Mr. and Mrs. Garcia please make your way to the disembarkation gangway located on deck 7….”

All in all a great day!

Someone who has had experience with this may chime in. My thought is that the credit card tied to your shipboard account is automatically charged and I believe the only method of payment for a Future Cruise Deposit. I can't remember this, but is there a place for you to write in the credit card number on the form?

I hope you are successful. I think future cruise deposit is one of the best things Princess has going.

Such a cool thing to do, but what a tease!!! They'd have to pry me off:D

We'll be on the Crown to Alaska the end of next month, so I was glad to hear that she's in such good shape. My sister and BIL are going with us, and it's their first cruise so I'm extremely excited for them to experience what we've been ranting & raving about for the last 25 years!!!!!

Someone who has had experience with this may chime in. My thought is that the credit card tied to your shipboard account is automatically charged and I believe the only method of payment for a Future Cruise Deposit. I can't remember this, but is there a place for you to write in the credit card number on the form?

I hope you are successful. I think future cruise deposit is one of the best things Princess has going.

When you are on a BVE, you have to provide a credit card...

Future Cruise payment is not charged to your onboard account.

You may use any credit card .

Future Cruise payment is not charged to your onboard account.

You may use any credit card .

No place on the form for a different credit card #, but if you write it in with a big arrow pointing at it...;)

We did a BVE to buy more FCDs and I forgot that the credit card company had changed our # due to someone trying to steal from me. Got an email that the card didn't work:eek:. I called Princess and it only took a couple of minutes to get it straightened out.:D

The weather was perfect and the ship is in excellent condition. This was our first time on the Crown and she seemed so very large to us, our last trip being on the Pacific.

We arrived at the terminal around a quarter to 11 and check-in was very smooth. I had read that it would be best to say we were here for the “Bon Voyage Experience”, rather than just “BVE”, but that wasn’t necessary. By the time we had reached the second of the terminal, I’d say “Bon Voyage Experience” and the staff would say, “Oh, you’re here for the BVB”. We were the first to arrive in the waiting area and although I’d been told that there were 40 people signed up by boarding time there were only about 12 people waiting. For the first time ever we were the first people on the ship (aside from the in transit passengers). What an incredible feeling to have that whole ship all to ourselves!

My main purpose for going on the BVE was to secure a couple of FCCs as we were out of them. I got my hands on a Patter to see if the FFC office would be staffed while we were on the ship. Nope, but we made our way there anyway. The FCC forms were out, alongside a sign that proclaimed “for current voyage passengers only”. Mmmm. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I filled out the form putting “BVE” in the space for the cabin number, added out Captain’s Circle number as well as my phone number and crossing my fingers, dropped the form into the box. This morning our FCCs were waiting in our email. Success!

We had an excellent lunch in the dining room. I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has raved about the salmon the embarkation day lunch menu. I had never tried it, but one the strength of so much praise I ordered it. Even DH who is not a salmon fan proclaimed it very good indeed. Equally, I had never indulged in the orange soufflé. YUM!

Regarding the great butter rationing question – we sat at a table for two; there were two pats of butter waiting. DH promptly devoured two rolls and then our meal arrived. DH declined the offered wine (he’s the driver) and the waiter asked if I would like two glasses. Well, I was on pretend vacation, right?

We were sad to leave at 2:30. It made us wonder if they ever have any difficulty rounding up the BVE people and getting off to get them off the ship? We were making little pretend PA announcements as we made our way to the gangplank. “Would Mr. and Mrs. Garcia please make your way to the disembarkation gangway located on deck 7….”

All in all a great day!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding the great butter rationing question – we sat at a table for two; there were two pats of butter waiting.

We were sad to leave at 2:30.

All in all a great day!

We didn't have any issues during our just completed Crown cruise with getting bread & butter at our early TD time.

Just back Saturday from 7 day Pacific coastal cruise. The Crown is indeed lovely. Not a single complaint.

After another enjoyable 7 day CA Coastal cruise my only "complaint" was having to depart the ship. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

All in all a great day!

How do you find out what Ports and what schedules are set up for the Bon Voyage Experience? I read that Seattle was a port that would be available for BVE but have no idea what ships or dates! I live close to Seattle and would love to take my daughter on board. Please point me in the right direction...

How do you find out what Ports and what schedules are set up for the Bon Voyage Experience?

Pick a ship and a date, call Princess at the toll free number and select "Book A Cruise Vacation." Tell the booking agent the ship and dates you are interested in (get these from the Princess website listing of cruises from your port). You may be put on hold a few moments as they confer with the "BVE Desk."

I did two this month :)

Pick a ship and a date, call Princess at the toll free number and select "Book A Cruise Vacation." Tell the booking agent the ship and dates you are interested in (get these from the Princess website listing of cruises from your port). You may be put on hold a few moments as they confer with the "BVE Desk."

I did two this month :)

Thank you!