Gratuities

I just found out that gratuities are automatically applied to your account. So it means we can't give cash. Can we decline automatic charge?

Effective on cruises departing on or after May 1, 2016, Royal Caribbean will automatically add a $13.50 USD gratuity for standard staterooms, $16.50 USD for Suite guests, to each guest's SeaPass® account on a daily basis. This gratuity replaces our previously recommended gratuity guidelines($12.95 USD standard statrooms, $15.95 USD for Suite guests), and will apply to all guests who did not prepay gratuities before April 14, 2016. The new daily gratuity amount is $0.55 USD more than the previously recommended daily gratuity amount.

great thank you. I prefer to pay cash for the services and we usually give higher $.

Honestly, I no longer want to use their credit card. Can't combine with other offers, can't receive any obc and the rate they charge is not even worth cashing in the points. It's cheaper just to book a criuse and get all the perks.

Not sure if I'm following the issue correctly here but I'm seeing two different elements here. The first post seems to be the standard "Can I remove auto-gratuities" question with the added bit about paying cash.

But then there's the comment about "their credit card".

You can link your Sea Pass to any credit card. Then the last night go to Guest Services and pay cash to clear your account. For that matter I believe you can set up your account to be cash only. Wiser minds than mine can explain that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

. For that matter I believe you can set up your account to be cash only.

Absolutely correct. No deposit required once boarding the ship either. When the account gets over 500.00 (on a 7 night cruise) you will be notified to come pay it down. If it doesnt exceed 500.00, you just settle up on the last night in cash or with a credit or debit card.

great thank you. I prefer to pay cash for the services and we usually give higher $.

The only problem with that is there are crewmembers that are included in the auto gratuity that would not be covered by just giving cash to your cabin attendant and MDR waiters. If you are ok with that, then remove your auto gratuities. I find it easiest to just leave the auto grats in place and tip in cash to those who I feel deserve more. YMMV :)

The only problem with that is there are crewmembers that are included in the auto gratuity that would not be covered by just giving cash to your cabin attendant and MDR waiters. If you are ok with that, then remove your auto gratuities. I find it easiest to just leave the auto grats in place and tip in cash to those who I feel deserve more. YMMV :)

Yes, absolutely agreed.

OP, with due respect, I would suggest you please leave the auto grat in place so that everyone is covered (those behind the scenes that you don't see) and just find an alternative way to pay your bill. But of course, the decision is yours.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Honestly, I no longer want to use their credit card. Can't combine with other offers, can't receive any obc and the rate they charge is not even worth cashing in the points. It's cheaper just to book a criuse and get all the perks.

Please explain what you mean about not receiving OBC with their credit card?? I use the RCI visa card and last cruise I cashed in my points for about $700 of OBC. i plan to do the same for our next cruise.

You just go on line and cash in your points for OBC. Has NOTHING to do with combing offers. Let the OBC pay your Gratuity.

Don't like the rate BOA charges...call and see if they will lower it. They did for me.

But, please don't punish the staff that work so hard for you and your family.

I don't have time to read all the postings, but yes you can go to the Pursers Desk, and ask them to have it taken off, but "some" of them do deserve what they get. We did leave it on ours, and got some envelopes and gave CASH to a couple people that took very good care of us a couple weeks ago.

Yes, absolutely agreed.

OP, with due respect, I would suggest you please leave the auto grat in place so that everyone is covered (those behind the scenes that you don't see) and just find an alternative way to pay your bill. But of course, the decision is yours.

I wonder what you think I should do regarding gratuities:

Family of 5, booked for CK every night on 5 night cruise. Just curious.

Edited by marci22

OP, my opinion:

If you want your gratuities debited from your account daily, leave them in place.

If you want to direct how your gratuities are given, go on the first day and have them removed and not debited daily.

I think the crew members work hard, and there have only been a few who have not been satisfactory. However, I still think it is up to you, how you want to distribute your 'tips'.

If the system isn't 'working', RC will have to adjust their business model. Until then, no reason for you to feel stress, at all, about how you want to distribute your 'tips'.

Leave them on.

Tip extra if you want.

Not hard really.

Leave them on.

Tip extra if you want.

Not hard really.

So I am paying $41.50 per day for dining 'services' automatically, and eating at CK, and tipping them how much extra?

What would you say is appropriate?

Assume the service is excellent.

Edited by marci22

So I am paying $41.50 per day for dining 'services' automatically, and eating at CK, and tipping them how much extra?

Are you eating every meal (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) in CK? No meals whatsoever in the Windjammer or in the main dining rooms? If so, ask them to not charge them to your onboard account, tip in cash to everyone who serves you and let your conscience be your guide. If, however, part of those dining room gratuities go to anyone other than the waiter, assistant waiter and dining room captain, they are being shortchanged by your action. In the greater scheme of things, the gratuity amounts are minimal in comparison to your overall cruise costs.

Are you eating every meal (Breakfast, lunch and dinner) in CK? No meals whatsoever in the Windjammer or in the main dining rooms? If so, ask them to not charge them to your onboard account, tip in cash to everyone who serves you and let your conscience be your guide. If, however, part of those dining room gratuities go to anyone other than the waiter, assistant waiter and dining room captain, they are being shortchanged by your action. In the greater scheme of things, the gratuity amounts are minimal in comparison to your overall cruise costs.

I am going to do what I am going to do, but I am really just curious. What would you tip the waiters daily in CK if your family of 5 is eating there each night?

$5? $25? $41.50?

I feel that my 'tips' should be that: amounts that I give to those who directly provide service. RC shouldn't care whether I auto tip, or tip on my own (because I am going to tip). And I don't think they do care, because their system allows for people to auto pay or pay in cash. Realizing that, I am not sure why people continue to get so incensed when others choose to tip their own way.

Edited by marci22

Nothing if you don't want to.

Why do people get so stressed about it.

Funny if a non American says they're confused by this whole tipping rubbish they get abused, yet day after day after day Americans need to ask what to do.

That's why they introduced auto grants in the first place, to make it simpler.

Nothing if you don't want to.

Why do people get so stressed about it.

Funny if a non American says they're confused by this whole tipping rubbish they get abused, yet day after day after day Americans need to ask what to do.

That's why they introduced auto grants in the first place, to make it simpler.

I certainly don't need to ask what to do, but I was genuinely curious as to what YOU would do, if you were in this situation.

And I am not stressed. Just putting the subject up for discussion.

And I do apologize if I have stressed out non-Americans over tipping. I think my views are more aligned with yours, currently.

Edited by marci22

I am going to do what I am going to do, but I am really just curious. What would you tip the waiters daily in CK if your family of 5 is eating there each night?

$5? $25? $41.50?

I feel that my 'tips' should be that: amounts that I give to those who directly provide service. RC shouldn't care whether I auto tip, or tip on my own (because I am going to tip). And I don't think they do care, because their system allows for people to auto pay or pay in cash. Realizing that, I am not sure why people continue to get so incensed when others choose to tip their own way.

$100 for the waiter at the end of the week, minimally.

I'm not a family of five, but here's what I did on the Anthem.

I left the auto-gratuities on my SeaPass account.

I gave a big envelope of cash to my wonderful waitress in CK on the last night.

I'm not a family of five, but here's what I did on the Anthem.

I left the auto-gratuities on my SeaPass account.

I gave a big envelope of cash to my wonderful waitress in CK on the last night.

But if you are giving her 'a big envelope of cash' for one person...what is appropriate for a family of 5? A big bag of cash?