Help! Stay near POM or Airport.

Coachyo

So family of 4 arrives early day before in Ft Lauderdale, I plan to rent a car and drive to Miami and explore that afternoon and early eve. Right now I'm thinking drop family and luggage off at hotel and the return car at airport then use hotel shuttle from airport. In the am then call a taxi to POM.

Is this the best and most economical way to stay. Car rental is about $70 (convertible!) for the day and allows us to explore. We aren't hotel snobs but do enjoy nice hotels and feeling safe. Wife wouldn't stay at hotel without me if too seedy or run down.

Should stay with this plan or stay closer and pay for cab to hotel?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.

Thanks, YO

Who did you rent a car from? National, Alamo & Thrifty offer a free shuttle from their MIA airport location to POM.

After exploring Miami Beach and Miami you could stay near the MIA airport in the Blue Lagoon area with several mid-grade or better hotels (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Hilton, etc.) and shopping and dining options in the area -- although you'll find much better dining downtown and in SB.

Your other option is to stay downtown - Hampton Inn Mary Brickel is often suggested and will be perfect for families. Taxi from the MIA airport will run about $25 and another $12-14 will get you to POM, or drop the car off at a downtown location and you are just a short walk or cab ride back to your hotel.

So family of 4 arrives early day before in Ft Lauderdale, I plan to rent a car and drive to Miami and explore that afternoon and early eve. Right now I'm thinking drop family and luggage off at hotel and the return car at airport then use hotel shuttle from airport. In the am then call a taxi to POM.

Is this the best and most economical way to stay. Car rental is about $70 (convertible!) for the day and allows us to explore. We aren't hotel snobs but do enjoy nice hotels and feeling safe. Wife wouldn't stay at hotel without me if too seedy or run down.

Should stay with this plan or stay closer and pay for cab to hotel?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.

Thanks, YO

Having owned a convertible, how in the world are you going to get a family of 4 with luggage into this style car? As mentioned a shuttle will work much better and probably cost less in the long run.

Having owned a convertible, how in the world are you going to get a family of 4 with luggage into this style car? As mentioned a shuttle will work much better and probably cost less in the long run.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to ask?? :D:) We still have one and there is no way my family of 3 would make it in a convertible with luggage.

JohninDC, thanks for the suggestions. We do want to explore Miami and Miami beach. Which is closer to POM downtown or airport?

CriuserBruce, without the rental car we can't explore thus the $70 rental with no tip.

As for a family in convertible we won't put top down until after we drop off luggage at hotel. This will make the girls pack lighter :p

So now my decision is downtown or near airport. Would really like a shuttle from airport to hotel for me. I plan to drop girls off at hotel after exploring so youngest can settle in and then I drop off car at airport by myself and then would like free shuttle to airport. So best hotel with shuttle closest to POM for cab ride is the preferred place I guess. Unless someone sees a problem.

Thanks, YO

Look at the Miami area on Google Maps -- POM is sort of across the street from the Holiday Inn/Bayside Market place. The city of Miami Beach is just to the north-east of the port - distance is not the issue, traffic is the issue. :( The MIA airport is about 15-20 minutes west of POM

If you drive from FLL to a hotel near the MIA airport (figure 45 minutes to an hour) you could drop your bags there - depending upon when you arrive and if your room is ready (or for a tip they may be willing to watch your bags until later); then put the top down and head to Miami and South Beach for the rest of the day.

Edited by JohninDC

JohninDC, thanks for the suggestions. We do want to explore Miami and Miami beach. Which is closer to POM downtown or airport?

CriuserBruce, without the rental car we can't explore thus the $70 rental with no tip.

As for a family in convertible we won't put top down until after we drop off luggage at hotel. This will make the girls pack lighter :p

So now my decision is downtown or near airport. Would really like a shuttle from airport to hotel for me. I plan to drop girls off at hotel after exploring so youngest can settle in and then I drop off car at airport by myself and then would like free shuttle to airport. So best hotel with shuttle closest to POM for cab ride is the preferred place I guess. Unless someone sees a problem.

Thanks, YO

The POM is in downtown Miami, so downtown or Brickell would be much closer.

When is your cruise? Convertibles are wonderful, but I can tell you that during the summer and the heat of the day, not one person I know that has one keeps the tops down as it's just too darn hot! Your trunk will also be small.

I would suggest returning your rental car at one of their downtown locations (of course they would have to still be open) and staying in the downtown or Brickell area. If you stay at something at many of the hotels downtown you can walk or if Brickell you can take the free metro mover back from the car rental drop off.

In the morning you can either take a taxi or Uber to the port. Even if you return the rental car to the airport, you can always Uber to your hotel is the Brickell/Downtown area for around $16 in Uber depending on the time of day.

We are renting a car from Alamo at the Miami airport and keeping it overnight. The next morning my dh is going to drop us off at the port and take the car back to the airport. Alamo has a free shuttle to the port where he will meet up with us to start our cruise.

We are renting a car from Alamo at the Miami airport and keeping it overnight. The next morning my dh is going to drop us off at the port and take the car back to the airport. Alamo has a free shuttle to the port where he will meet up with us to start our cruise.

Hmmmm? :confused: Drive from POM to MIA car rental center - about 20 minutes; return the car and wait for the shuttle -- about 5-20+ minutes; ride the shuttle back to POM - another 15-20 minutes. Your DH must LOVE YOU to spend an hour or more on his own while you wait to check in. ;)

IMHO you might be better off having all of you ride to return the car and then all of you ride the shuttle to POM.

Have a good cruise. :)

I'd just go along with him to avoid the long sitting around at the port. But that's me.

Is there a special destination you need the car for? Keeping it overnight, unless near the airport where some hotels offer free parking, will have a costly fee.

Edited by eandj

If you want to explore Miami Beach, why don't you just stay in Miami Beach? It isn't far at all to the port from there.

As for the convertible, you will not be able to take the top down June-September and depending on the day, you may not be able to take it down at all.

The sun is so hot and intense, make sure you all slather on the sunblock. I've seen some pretty nasty sunburns from convertibles.

Honestly the only time I see people with their tops down is on cooler February days.

My BFF has one of those big, nice jeeps and they NEVER take the top off.

Edited by BlueHerons

If you want to stay in a nice place in Pompano Beach, have a look at these. As far, as I know they can also be rented out for rather short-term stays, but it's better to just contact them. I've stayed in one of the condos and it's amazing. The view you get when you wake up can't be compared to anything else. I'm sure the family will appreciate it :)

Once you're done seeing all the sights of Miami, I can recommend the Comfort Inn near the Miami airport. I know, a Comfort Inn? I was very impressed when I last stayed there in 2012/2013. Also, they have a free shuttle taking you to POM. Prices are reasonable. Nice people. Might be worth a shot.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to ask?? :D:) We still have one and there is no way my family of 3 would make it in a convertible with luggage.

OP they are right with the top up you might be able to get a few pieces of luggage in the trunk In our current convertible with the top up we can get 1 normal case (not huge)and 2 carry-ons but with the top down nothing more than a large purse or lap top bag will fit. Its literally like 8" wide.

Having owned convertibles for over 20 years every trunk is different but non of them fit much of anything with the top down. Also depending with how tall/big your family is the back seats are small with very little leg room. Since We are shopping for one now for my DD and some are so bad that even at 5'8" the front seat is just about touching the back seat or actually touching in some cars.