VOOM Roll Call

• Clarea changed the title to Ovation Voom speed
3 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Just checked Ovation speed. It seems to vary. Will post as we get further north.

Sophos SSL VPN works.

Seeing the recent VOOM Stream results recently, I don't think I've not seen any/many above 4 MBps on any ship - wondering if the limit is now 4 instead of 5. Hope that ping rate doesn't get worse - I was getting below 200 consistently last week.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Seeing the recent VOOM Stream results recently, I don't think I've not seen any/many above 4 MBps on any ship - wondering if the limit is now 4 instead of 5. Hope that ping rate doesn't get worse - I was getting below 200 consistently last week.

I can make calls but no audio, I think I need to disable HD audio

The bad news is my roboblocker doesn't work over wireless so 3 junk calls this morning.

12 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I can make calls but no audio, I think I need to disable HD audio

The bad news is my roboblocker doesn't work over wireless so 3 junk calls this morning.

Well, at least you are not paying for them, as you would if you were using Cellular at Sea!

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Well, at least you are not paying for them, as you would if you were using Cellular at Sea!

Voom is very sporadic on Ovation to Alaska. Service drops constantly. I will have to bite the bullet and use cellular for business calls I need to make.

31 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Voom is very sporadic on Ovation to Alaska. Service drops constantly. I will have to bite the bullet and use cellular for business calls I need to make.

The O3b service drops off the farther north you go.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The O3b service drops off the farther north you go.

Well we are about 399km north on Vancouver.

I tested all the wireless calling and texting before I left.

Will use cellular in port for calls, not sure on other items.

Right now I have them sending me png files to review

Screenshot_20190514-145057_Accession.thumb.jpg.c4e816063d08055400606986781fc6a5.jpg

37 minutes ago, serialcruiser48 said:

Once Ovation looses O3b in the northern hemisphere, it probably switches to Harris Caprock (garbage). High orbit garbage is the backup.

The ping rate will tell you. Above 600ms you are on high orbit garbage. O3b is ~250 ms.

Confirmed.  We crossed 50° North earlier today and shortly after we switched to a conventional geosync satellite with 635ms of latency.  At that time we were getting 2Mb down and 0.9Mb up on "Speedcast".   Right now it's basically Surf speeds.

Edited by twangster

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You are still much better than Surf, with its .5Mbps limit - videos should still work at 2Mbps.

Yep, I was able to broadcast on Periscope earlier today on Speedcast.  However right now at 10:20pm it's like Surf speeds.  Pretty lousy jitter too.  

1141545067_OV51NSppedtest.thumb.jpg.eaefce897c76d622bc0974c4fe26b0de.jpg

My expectations for voom service on Brilliance in the Baltics this summer keeps getting lower and lower 😉

Hopefully, I'll be able to connect with home when in ports using wifi in the port cities.

dp

2 hours ago, dpostman said:

My expectations for voom service on Brilliance in the Baltics this summer keeps getting lower and lower 😉

Hopefully, I'll be able to connect with home when in ports using wifi in the port cities.

dp

WiFi on the HoHo in Copenhagen 

Screenshot_20190513-084334_Speedtest.jpg

22 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

SpaceX is launching their first 60 LEO Starlink internet satellites tonight. 🚀 🛰

And Amazon isn't far behind

Future competition for O3B

That's great and we all know how quickly and well Royal introduces new technology.  I'm sure my unborn grandchildren will love it.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's great and we all know how quickly and well Royal introduces new technology.  I'm sure my unborn grandchildren will love it.

I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression SpaceX is trying to market this specifically to cruise lines and airlines.

Personally,  I'm excited this may mean two extra launches a month out at the Cape 

Edited by John&LaLa

I agree that competition is a great thing.  While Royal may face lower costs as a result I'm hesitant to think they'll lower their guest pricing.  As it is Royal is significantly higher than the Princess MedalionNet O3b product.  

At one point it was suggested O3b would go fleet wide.  Instead the marketing went fleet wide while the technology did not, yet they charge as if it did.  They aren't going to mess with the cash cow that Voom has become until  guests stop buying it. 

If a better technology at a lower cost becomes available to Royal, I foresee something like "Voom Plus" will be announced at $37.99 per day. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I agree that competition is a great thing.  While Royal may face lower costs as a result I'm hesitant to think they'll lower their guest pricing.  As it is Royal is significantly higher than the Princess MedalionNet O3b product.  

At one point it was suggested O3b would go fleet wide.  Instead the marketing went fleet wide while the technology did not, yet they charge as if it did.  They aren't going to mess with the cash cow that Voom has become until  guests stop buying it. 

If a better technology at a lower cost becomes available to Royal, I foresee something like "Voom Plus" will be announced at $37.99 per day. 

Free for me as of now, luckily I don't stream anything. 😉

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

WiFi on the HoHo in Copenhagen 

Screenshot_20190513-084334_Speedtest.jpg

Thanks for taking the time John.  At least I'll be able to contact the In-laws and my parents that will be sharing house sitting and kids watching duties while we are gone.

dp