VOOM Roll Call

I’m on Mariner of the Seas right now. Purchased the Surf and Stream Package and cannot even get more then a 3000 to 4000 ping and a download speed of around 0.5 to sometimes 0.7

Very disappointed. I’m not really expected YouTube or Netflix but with that slow speed some of my apps just won’t load up and give me communication errors

Something has to be wrong, that ping value is the worst I've seen reported on any ship.

I’m on Mariner of the Seas right now. Purchased the Surf and Stream Package and cannot even get more then a 3000 to 4000 ping and a download speed of around 0.5 to sometimes 0.7

I would talk to the IT folks on board. When the system is not too loaded (like at midnight when you posted) the ping should be around 600 ms and download be up to 4 Mbps. If it doesn't improve, I'd ask for a refund.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Way too variable to make it meaningful. All ships seem to be limited to .5 Mbps on Surf and 5 Mbps on Stream. The real differentiation is whether the ship has O3B or not, which shows up in the ping rates.

Edited by Biker19

The Enchantment has 03b but the bandwidth is very limited compared to Oasis Class. On sea days Voom on the Enchantment slows down considerably, but having 03b is a big step above the Vision or similar class that are still stuck with high orbit garbage. Hopefully by now Voyager Class and above have 03b.

2 hours ago, serialcruiser48 said:

The Enchantment has 03b but the bandwidth is very limited compared to Oasis Class. On sea days Voom on the Enchantment slows down considerably, but having 03b is a big step above the Vision or similar class that are still stuck with high orbit garbage. Hopefully by now Voyager Class and above have 03b.

I believe Enchantment and Majesty are the only ships with O3b other than Freedom class and newer.

19 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe Enchantment and Majesty are the only ships with O3b other than Freedom class and newer.

I’m surprised an older ship like the Majesty has 03b. Don’t know why RCL would spend the money on an older ship like the Majesty and skip newer bigger ships of the Freedom class???

10 minutes ago, serialcruiser48 said:

I’m surprised an older ship like the Majesty has 03b. Don’t know why RCL would spend the money on an older ship like the Majesty and skip newer bigger ships of the Freedom class???

I think what happened was that Royal intended to deploy O3b to all their ships, and Majesty was the next in line and got completed.  Then the price of O3b skyrockted and Royal changed their plans and ended up purchasing more bandwidth for those ships still on the geosync service.

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I think what happened was that Royal intended to deploy O3b to all their ships, and Majesty was the next in line and got completed.  Then the price of O3b skyrockted and Royal changed their plans and ended up purchasing more bandwidth for those ships still on the geosync service.

It’s time for RCL to deploy its own 03b and cut out the middleman. I bet if RCL would start making inquiries about starting their own 03b service, the folks who currently sell 03b would get wind of it and RCL would suddenly see a significant price drop.

7 minutes ago, serialcruiser48 said:

It’s time for RCL to deploy its own 03b and cut out the middleman. I bet if RCL would start making inquiries about starting their own 03b service, the folks who currently sell 03b would get wind of it and RCL would suddenly see a significant price drop.

Deploying a series of earth orbiting satellites and maintaining them is a billion dollar venture. I think Royal would rather build another ship.  

O3b has finite capacity.   They added two more satellites last year and more are on the way but there are other users both in and out of the cruise industry using them.  

Plus it’s cheaper for Royal to continue selling geosynchronous Voom under the same name.  Why invest more money in new equipment only to be able to charge the same price?

As a consumer of Voom I hate it but as a business owner I get it.