VOOM Roll Call

If we start keeping track, we might be able to know by external IP address.

True, with some networking skills, one might be able to figure it out. But I'm not sure it makes much diff - the bottom line is that in northern/southern latitudes (>45 deg) your WiFi will be slower (down to the old Internet levels) even if you have real Voom.

Edited by Biker19

We will likely never know if the ship is on O3B or the older satellite service when north of 45 deg latitude. I assume that when the O3B speed drops enough (somewhere between 45 and 62 deg latitude), the Internet service will switch to the older system. So Baltic, Norther Europe, Alaska, round the Horn cruises will never have full speed Voom. Voom is just a marketing term - for the ships that have the hardware to support it and are in the correct position on earth, that will mean an O3B connection.

so when I do the speedtest, after it is done, It asks me if I'm on O3B Networks USA LLC:confused:

Edited by jonbgd

so when I do the speedtest, after it is done, It asks me if I'm on O3B Networks USA LLC:confused:

Depending on the whose app or web site you use to perform the speed test it may mention vendors, but we only care about the speed and ping (what most customers care about).

Depending on the whose app or web site you use to perform the speed test it may mention vendors, but we only care about the speed and ping (what most customers care about).

I'm on speedtest . net

the #'s are still about the same as when we were in port

Now halfway between Nassau and Puerto Rico

Ping 189

download .42

upload .25

So no Voom on Indy

Ping 189

download .42

upload .25

So no Voom on Indy

I don't know - I didn't think a ping that low is possible without Voom. Which package did you buy, SURF or SURF+STREAM?

Edited by Biker19

VOOM O3b ping rates will ALWAYS be much lower than high orbit satellite. Ping rates for low orbit O3b satellite should be less than 300 ms.

Ping rates for high orbit satellite will be more than 600 ms and the service will mostly suck.

When I was on the Allure ping rates were about 276ms and up to 25 Mbps download for the whole ship.

Independence of the Seas

Jacquie's really pleased as she is able to watch her soaps from UK Tv, Eastenders and Corrie. Thanks to the abilty to stream, If only we had brought our Samsung remote we may have been able to change the input to HDMI and watched episode 2 of Game of Thrones too.

4 meg down 2 up.

Lots of nice people on this ship looks like its going to be a memorable crossing.

Edited by BobnJac

Interesting that it doesn't mention that the current Voom pricing is only a promo.

Because the press release mentions the non discounted prices ;-):

Surf 12.99 USD / 30% discount: 9.99 USD

Stream 17.99 USD / 30% discount: 12.99 USD

steamboats

As I am on the Navigator later this year I decided to ask RC about Voom and the bandwidth I was likely to receive and if it would work in cabins. OK so I was not expecting a proper reply but never hurts to ask :).

Here is the answer:

'As of the 1st of May, all of our Royal Caribbean fleet has Voom high speed

internet service onboard. We do not have the specifics on how much

bandwidth you will have using this service, but you can rest assured that

you will be able to use this in your cabin. Once we get more technical

information we will let you know.'

So still none the wiser....

As I am on the Navigator later this year I decided to ask RC about Voom and the bandwidth I was likely to receive and if it would work in cabins. OK so I was not expecting a proper reply but never hurts to ask :).

Here is the answer:

'As of the 1st of May, all of our Royal Caribbean fleet has Voom high speed

internet service onboard. We do not have the specifics on how much

bandwidth you will have using this service, but you can rest assured that

you will be able to use this in your cabin. Once we get more technical

information we will let you know.'

So still none the wiser....

I can tell you that the WiFi already does work inside all the staterooms, so at least you have that info.

I think that pretty clear indication that real Voom is available on Indy. I assume you had the STREAM package?

Yup we dont do cheap[emoji6]we have to maintain contact at all times. Glad they brought Voom and Surf on otherwise contemplating a sat phone..

On the Independence now. Voom is available - went live on May 1st (first day of our cruise).

I have the surf package and unfortunately it is extremely spotty throughout the ship! I have a full wifi signal everywhere onboard, but in many areas it can't connect to the server! This includes my OV stateroom on deck 3 near the aft elevators, the MDR, the Pyramid lounge on deck 5, etc. I went to notify guest services last night and was basically told I can either cancel it for a refund, or "use it in public areas". I informed the man that it's being advertised to work all over the ship and doesn't even work in all of the public areas... I basically got the "tough luck" response.

So it's not so much the speed that's a problem, but the actual connection with the server. I don't think having Stream would change that at all.

I think that pretty clear indication that real Voom is available on Indy. I assume you had the STREAM package?

I spoke with guest services they called IT and got these #'s

the speeds on the stream pkg are suppose to be

Upload 24mb

Download 12 MB

the surf pkg is suppose to be

upload 4 mb

download 2mb

And I'm not getting anywhere close to that:confused:

Guest services also confirmed it isn't as fast as the Allure currently.

They still need to install the antennas like they did on the FREEDOM. Not sure when they will do that

I spoke with guest services they called IT and got these #'s

the speeds on the stream pkg are suppose to be

Upload 24mb

Download 12 MB

the surf pkg is suppose to be

upload 4 mb

download 2mb

And I'm not getting anywhere close to that:confused:

Guest services also confirmed it isn't as fast as the Allure currently.

They still need to install the antennas like they did on the FREEDOM. Not sure when they will do that

Thanks for this, first time I've seen actual target numbers from the cruise line.