VOOM Roll Call

Just a note on the Surf package on the Indy... Even though it's pretty spotty, I was able to face-time with home last night! Worked great! Not sure if it was just a fluke or what, but I was quite happy!

If the reported download speed is indeed supposed to be 4MB, then having face-time work is to be expected. Thanks for the confirmation.

If the reported download speed is indeed supposed to be 4MB, then having face-time work is to be expected. Thanks for the confirmation.

No problem! YOuTube also worked! Unfortunately my phone doesn't stay connected all the time despite the strong wifi signal... Guest services did something on my phone but it's still spotty...

I still don't believe independence… I was on just a week or two ago and none of the new equipment was installed so I find it hard to believe.

What I do believe is that they are selling the same old Internet and calling it voom even until they get the new equipment.

Edited by Powersboyee2

I still don't believe independence… I was on just a week or two ago and none of the new equipment was installed so I find it hard to believe.

What I do believe is that they are selling the same old Internet and calling it voom even until they get the new equipment.

Something happened to get download speeds in the MBs+ range - I don't think that's possible with the old Internet. It may not be up to full Voom as no one reported 20+MBs speeds, but something happened.

Something happened to get download speeds in the MBs+ range - I don't think that's possible with the old Internet. It may not be up to full Voom as no one reported 20+MBs speeds, but something happened.

I've experienced those speeds on the old system periodically and was able to sometimes and I mean "sometimes" do FaceTime on Indy a few weeks back. The coverage around the ship was definitely spotty at best in a lot of areas. Having to disconnect and reconnect was almost an every use occurrence. [emoji849]

We were on Indy last year and they had just introduced the unlimited access packages. Connection speeds were noticeably on different areas of the ship, and much better on the ships hardwired computers, leading me to believe the wifi does not have the capacity to handle so many users.

We were on Oasis this year, and never had connection issues depending on where we were on the ship.

Also, remember a few years ago, there was a big effort to update all of the satellite antennas on the ship to O3B units. I had always wondered if this was part of the task of introducing the service they now call VOOM.

True, with some networking skills, one might be able to figure it out. But I'm not sure it makes much diff - the bottom line is that in northern/southern latitudes (>45 deg) your WiFi will be slower (down to the old Internet levels) even if you have real Voom.

I am not much if a tech person, so please help me. We will be sailing Norway Fjords and northern TA via Iceland. So if Serenade has Voom it will probably not work that far north?? Thanks

I am not much if a tech person, so please help me. We will be sailing Norway Fjords and northern TA via Iceland. So if Serenade has Voom it will probably not work that far north?? Thanks

There is limited service up to 62 degrees north.

If real Voom is available it will probably keep getting slower and by the time you get to Reykjavik it will switch over to the old system (since O3B service will be totally lost that far north). All this assumes you'll have Voom, which is a stretch.

P.S. There's decent WiFi in the terminal where the ship docks in Reykjavik.

Edited by Biker19

Voom on Rhapsody? Nope, not according to a good friend who is currently on the ship. He said and I quote "Internet sucks and it's expensive". Rhapsody is one of my favorite ships and hopefully this is fixed soon.

Unless you see it confirmed in this thread assume the ship doesn't have it. Some suck worse than others.

Ovation location Vigo

42 14.59

f1cb3cb084dbee4f6a54ca10bd4337c0.jpg

Perhaps the rain is blocking the signal

Still way off the 19/11 speeds I got on Allure TA last year.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Ovation location Vigo

42 14.59

Interesting, upload speed jumped significantly.

Ovation location Vigo

42 14.59

There were no tiers till about a month ago - all VOOM was full speed back then. Someone reported that the SURF package is BW limited to 4MBs - exactly what you are getting. The ping is getting even better - seems logical as you get to the equator where the sats are, the round trip for the signal is shorter.

Just did a speed test on my surf package while sitting in the solarium on the Independence - we're northeast of St Maarten heading for Southampton.

I got:

ping - 302ms

Download - 0.52mbps

Upload - 0.26mbps

I have zero clue how to interpret that but there's the data! :)

Edited by Newbcruiser1

Just did a speed test on my surf package while sitting in the solarium on the Independence - we're northeast of St Maarten heading for Southampton.

I got:

ping - 302ms

Download - 0.52mbps

Upload - 0.26mbps

Does not look like VOOM, but the ping is better than I expected for non-VOOM.

I wanted to book the SURF + stream package on ovation of the seas starting June 12, 16. Unfortunately in only offers "unlimited high speed internet for 1 device" 9,99 USD and the same for 2 devices at around 13,50 USD.

Anyone encountered the same problem? I would really like to purchase the Surf AND stream option. te description mentions streaming as an option but the pricing and naming of the package simply doesn't seam right.

I got:

ping - 302ms

Download - 0.52mbps

Upload - 0.26mbps

This has to be O3b, else the ping rates would be >500 ms. The ping rate is more important than bandwidth to determine low orbit satellite.