VOOM Roll Call

This has to be O3b, else the ping rates would be >500 ms. The ping rate is more important than bandwidth to determine low orbit satellite.

Maybe the ship was at the edge of the coverage area so the ping latency was higher than the <200ms we've been seeing from others.

Just did a speed test on my surf package while sitting in the solarium on the Independence - we're northeast of St Maarten heading for Southampton.

I got:

ping - 302ms

Download - 0.52mbps

Upload - 0.26mbps

I have zero clue how to interpret that but there's the data! :)

Hey there! [emoji4]

Also on this cruise. I have the surf/stream package. And when it works, I get these results.

ImageUploadedByForums1462580831.362028.jpg.9f3e040f062996e6ac8dd3c4cdcc738c.jpg

BUT, and a big BUT I am having major connection issues.

I get logged off every few minutes or so and then I can't log back on for periods of time. I will go and turn off my wifi and then try to log back in and sometimes I can't connect at all.

There are periods of time when I give up sending iMessages or emails bc I simply can't connect.

They are probably maxed out in bandwidth when everybody is logged on I suppose.

I have been able to stream Netflix once when I tried. But I haven't tried in a few days.

I have tried to FaceTime home yet, but will give to a try tomorrow.

Overall I'm happy the cost of Internet was dropped and then they had the "30% off sale" pre cruise. I'm happy with what I have for the price I paid in comparison to the awfully pricey and slow internet I had on the liberty in March.

But the connection issue is a major hassle.

The connection issues are probably independent of the VOOM availability - VOOM didn't affect the WiFI infrastructure on the ship. Between the low ping and speed reports, Indy has VOOM but perhaps not everything is in place yet to get the 25MBs speeds on STREAM that other ships have reported.

I think one person mentioned that they might able to get an O3B connection with current sat dishes in place but to get full functionality they'll need to install new ones like on Freedom.

I wanted to book the SURF + stream package on ovation of the seas starting June 12, 16. Unfortunately in only offers "unlimited high speed internet for 1 device" 9,99 USD and the same for 2 devices at around 13,50 USD.

Anyone encountered the same problem? I would really like to purchase the Surf AND stream option. te description mentions streaming as an option but the pricing and naming of the package simply doesn't seam right.

It doesn't seem right but that's because the RCI IT system is so screwed up - STREAM should be $13/day for one device. I would book it and get a receipt so that if there's an issue on board you can show them that. For most uses however, you won't be able to tell if you have SURF or STREAM because you rarely need the STREAM speeds and no one can really be certain if the lack of speed is from the throttling of VOOM or just some general slow down of the service from too many people being connected.

Edited by Biker19

T... I think one person mentioned that they might able to get an O3B connection with current sat dishes in place but to get full functionality they'll need to install new ones like on Freedom.

That part is interesting to me. I don't know anything about the antenna pointing technology, but I would have thought that keeping the antenna pointed at a low earth orbit satellite would be much more difficult (and require different equipment) than a geosync satellite.

Taken just now 2 days after leaving st maarten on the Independence transatlantic crossing. This is the surf and stream package.

Would definitely say it's 'proper' zoom on here!

2874604_ScreenShot2016-05-07at14_50_22.jpg.2e8f99e695859cc8fc6f9e1d1f9d2ce0.jpg

Edited by Duggy1983

Taken just now 2 days after leaving st maarten on the Independence transatlantic crossing. This is the surf and stream package.

Would definitely say it's 'proper' zoom on here!

Wow that is great speeds

I'm on the surf pkg and still getting the .5 and .24 speeds I earlier posted

Have you had any issues?

there have been a few times we havnt being able to get on right away

We also have been getting kicked off and have to log in multiple times.

Wow that is great speeds

I'm on the surf pkg and still getting the .5 and .24 speeds I earlier posted

Have you had any issues?

there have been a few times we havnt being able to get on right away

We also have been getting kicked off and have to log in multiple times.

Yeah takes a little while to login now and again just times out and have to try again, no real problems once connected however!

Very even numbers. Thanks for all the testing and posting the results. It will be interesting to see if the other ships implement that 4MBs download limit on the SURF package or something lower.

Edited by Biker19

Very even numbers. Thanks for all the testing and posting the results. It will be interesting to see if the other ships implement that 4MBs download limit on the SURF package or something lower.

I may have lost track of the ping numbers, but this latest one (162ms) seems to be the lowest as they are the farthest south. Was the highest around 300ms?

I may have lost track of the ping numbers, but this latest one (162ms) seems to be the lowest as they are the farthest south. Was the highest around 300ms?

I think the 300ms ping report was from someone else. Yes, the ping has marginally gotten better as the ship moved south which makes sense.

On Rhapsody now, using Voom. Pretty good for routine use, except when it goes down completely. Wouldn't want to pay the extra for supposedly being able to stream music and videos.

Any chance you could run a speed test? Something like http://www.speedof.me and post your location, the ping speed and up/down speeds?

Have a great time.

I too would like to know about grandeur Internet

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I will be on next week and purchased the surf package I can let you all know what I get on the Grandeur. I called today and they insist Voom has been installed on the ship.

On Navigator right now using the "surf" VOOM

Did a speed test:

Ping: 575ms

Download: 0.50mbps

Upload: 0.24 mbps

it takes a long while to load webpages, BUT I can video skype with decent quality. did cut in and out for a bit.

On Navigator right now using the "surf" VOOM

Did a speed test:

Ping: 575ms

Download: 0.50mbps

Upload: 0.24 mbps

it takes a long while to load webpages, BUT I can video skype with decent quality. did cut in and out for a bit.

That certainly doesn't look like the speeds and Ping rate you would expect from a VOOM connection.

Thanks for posting I'm on Navigator in two weeks and won't be pre-purchasing if thats how its looking at the minute.