VOOM Roll Call

Brillance surf & stream in port Venice today. Ping 711. Download 1.67. Upload 1.27. This is the fastest so far. I don't no how to take picture. So far no refunds. Very unhappy with Internet. Cruise is great. It's been hard to get on except today because most people are off ship.

That's disappointing. We are taking that same cruise and we pre purchased the Internet. Please keep posting your speeds. Someone posted on thes boards a site that checks your IP address to see if you have true VOOM. The site is http://whatismyipaddress.com.

Can you try that and post the results?

I may cancel and just use my free data at ports. We have T-Mobile and it includes data overseas.

Edited by lovesthebeach2

Bob how will we know if this is VOOM? Not just by the IP address right? It needs to say O3B or something?

Yes, if the IP is listed as O3b, than it's the fast low earth orbit system.

Also, ping times around 200ms are another indication of the faster system.

Note also that I've seen some faster download speeds on the higher satellites too. I don't know how they are doing that.

I asked a few questions of an IT guy on board the Rhapsody. Even the lower level guys are treating all Internet on board as being VOOM but he did know that the ship does not have O3B. Apparenttly there is supposed to be some speed difference between SURF and STREAM on ships without O3B Internet - controlled from Miami. From reports so far it seems that the limit is about .5MBs down for SURF and maybe about 2-3MBs for STREAM. But, without O3B, regardless of which package you get you will be stuck with 700ms (or worse) ping times (which impacts performance).

So , it seems like until all ships get a make over like the Freedom, you are going to get some "improved" down speed with STREAM (over SURF) but overall a somewhat sucky experience (compared to O3B).

Yes, if the IP is listed as O3b, than it's the fast low earth orbit system.

Also, ping times around 200ms are another indication of the faster system.

Note also that I've seen some faster download speeds on the higher satellites too. I don't know how they are doing that.

O3b does not have a low earth orbit offering - their birds are in medium earth orbit.

As far as I know, there is no LEO component to RCI's consumer internet service, VOOM. It's possible they have some capacity for operational purposes.

I think some of the capacity was always there, now they are sharing it with the customer under the guise of STREAM. Also, like on Celebrity ships, some more could be squeezed out of existing high orbit connections. But, they can't get around the laws of physics- the relay time to the high orbit sats takes time which will show up in overall Internet performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

O3b does not have a low earth orbit offering - their birds are in medium earth orbit.

As far as I know, there is no LEO component to RCI's consumer internet service, VOOM. It's possible they have some capacity for operational purposes.

You're correct of course, should have said lowER.:)

Edited by clarea

Just a quick, final report back from Allure: Surf only package

Internet was very consistent and reliable, except on the last sea day when we got kicked off repeatedly. We were able to Skype every day, with great quality. We were able to watch Facebook video clips and short commercials on apps, most days. For us, the surf package on Allure ($63.63 on promo) was well worth it, as we enjoyed Skype with family. Hope this helps others make the decision whether they need surf or stream package. :)

Off to do the laundry :rolleyes:

First post on these boards, although longtime reader (it is nice to be able to get actual info straight from people on a ship instead of a RC rep who may or may not know what they are talking about).

From Liberty the past few days (surf & stream package was purchased, 59 speed tests were completed all over the ship, from 5/20/16 - 5/22/16)...

Average download: 0.79 mb/s

Average upload: 0.24 mb/s

Average latency: 797 ms

51 of the tests had download speeds of <1 mb/s (those 51 had an average download speed of 0.34 mb/s).

The download speed of the other 8 tests ranged from 3.19 - 4.1 mb/s.

The upload speed for all 59 tests ranged from 0.08 - 0.38 mb/s.

The latency for all 59 tests ranged from 612 - 1246 ms.

Before you ask, most of the 8 faster tests came from close to (or in) various rooms, however some of the slower tests came from those exact same locations, so there did not appear to be a "fast" area.

Welcome to CC and thank you for that report. It seems to reinforce what I was told and what others are reporting - SURF is limited to .5MBs download speed while STREAM can provide up to about 4MB down in the right conditions. But in all cases where there's no O3B, the ping times of 600ms or worse will make using any device sluggish.

One direct result of the high ping times is inability to make a reliable WiFi call - on land a good connection (ping less than 100 ms) with just .2 or .3 MBs download speed would be enough to make a call - I was getting pretty consistent .5MB speed tests on the ship but with 700ms pings, WiFi calls just could not happen.

+1

AKA the speed of light problem. In Australia (and US) a company with a poorly designed app will suffer from this because there is a limit to how fast information can transmit over long distances. An office in Perth Australia is so far away from Sydney that although it is not noticeable for one transmission, if the application is poorly designed and needs multiple transactions before responding to the user, these multiply and become obvious to the user.

Countries that are not geographically wide (or long) don't have this problem when operating systems within country.

But, they can't get around the laws of physics- the relay time to the high orbit sats takes time which will show up in overall Internet performance.

+1

AKA the speed of light problem. In Australia (and US) a company with a poorly designed app will suffer from this because there is a limit to how fast information can transmit. An office in Perth Australia is so far away from Sydney that although it is not noticeable for one transmission, if the application is poorly designed and needs multiple transactions before responding to the user, these multiply and become obvious to the user.

Countries that are not geographically wide (or long) don't have this problem when operating systems within country.

Edited by lucymorgan

Freedom

Ping 233

Download 5.49

Upload 1.75

Highest download 7.45

Highest upload 3.00

Ping range 200 to 239

Between coco cay and st Thomas

Surf & stream

Thank-you, looks like Freedom has real VOOM.

VOOM on NAV is more like SPUTTER

Ping 639

Down .27

Up .08

If we were paying for this I would insist on a refund. We are off the coast of Norway now, but it been like this in UK, France, Spain and for our entire TA. Streaming is only possible with Netflix (using their downgraded video quality). Any real streaming is out of the question.