We LOVED the Salty Dog

seattleslew

We were recently on the Crown P and the mixed use of the Wheelhouse made our trip to the Salty Dog and little perplexing. While we and two other couples enjoyed the good food, dancing and music, others were seated in the "non-Salty Dog" part of the Wheelhouse drinking and dancing. Kind of felt like we should invite them to our table to enjoy some of the excess food.

I feel like you have to have more money than brains to pay $8.95 xtra for a hamburger when you can go to any of over 1000 5 guys and for around $9.00 have a burger and fries. Doesn't seem like a worthy investment aboard ship but mostly frivolous.:eek:

I feel like you have to have more money than brains to pay $8.95 xtra for a hamburger when you can go to any of over 1000 5 guys and for around $9.00 have a burger and fries. Doesn't seem like a worthy investment aboard ship but mostly frivolous.:eek:

Why would you go to 5 Guys when McDonalds will sell you a burger for $1.00?

Oh, wait... suddenly you mean to tell me that different burgers are, in fact, not exactly the same? That maybe they cost different amounts, and that might be ok?

Good to know. I'll remember that next time I want to snot all over someone's dinner choice.

We also enjoyed The Salty Dog on the Ruby a few months back. We were pleased with all of our selections(including the Ernesto burger). It was also nice sampling a Princess craft beer with the meal.

The Bourbon Chocolate Pot De Creme dessert was especially tasty.

I too don't have any issue with the name but I don't think it is odd that others do.

What's odd to one is normal to the next person. Everybody views the world through the lens of their own experiences, culture and upbringing.

An Old Salt is a sailor. I think that's the sort of thing they are going for.

Note:My wife says she doesn't like the name either.

Lyric: Let me be your salty dog or I won't be your man at all, Honey let me be your salty dog.

..... Salty Dog Blues

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

“Salty Dog” is nautical slang for an experienced sailor who has spent much of his life aboard a ship at sea. A salty dog is often given increased credibility by ship mates in matters pertaining to ship-board life and duties. Also known as an “old salt.” [1]

Another meaning of the term "Salty Dog" comes from the archaic practice of rubbing salt into the coat of one's favorite dog as a flea repellent. Therefore, one's "salty dog" is one's favorite person, best friend, etc

Ship board talk=hes an old salt,(crusty old sea dog)(crusty=salt)

(dog = best friend)

Ahh theres my old oppo,hes a crusty old sea dog

Shredie is right about the uncomfortable looking furniture.

I tried the bar stool type chairs' date=' in order to help me decide whether to book there, or not.

When sitting on the bar stool type chairs, I felt like I would slide off. I had to hold myself in place, with my feet on the foot rest. The seat seems to be tilted downward and forward. As if to dump you out. As one of my old bosses used to say: don't get too comfortable!!! Not good!

Also, I do not like the way that people leaving the Princess Theater exit through the Salty Dog. Not nice, when trying to eat.

I did not make a reservation.[/quote']

We ate in the Salty Dog on our recent cruise on the Crown. We were served seated on the comfortable furniture, rather than the uncomfortable bar stools. I would have preferred sitting at a normal table and chairs, and I didn't find the arrangement all that comfortable, either.

I don't mind the name or even the up charge and some of the food actually sounds good. But there's no way I'm going to climb up on one of those ugly white chairs and be uncomfortable through a meal. I also think the white tables and chairs ruin the looks of the Wheelhouse which used to be my favorite bar.

An Old Salt is a sailor. I think that's the sort of thing they are going for.

Note:My wife says she doesn't like the name either.

Lyric: Let me be your salty dog or I won't be your man at all, Honey let me be your salty dog.

..... Salty Dog Blues

Awesome! :D

• 4 weeks later...

For my October cruise I'd love to try it, but with the following options -- otherwise it's simply TOO MUCH food! Can't imagine being able to enjoy the prime objective -- that BURGER -- once I've either eaten or decided to skip the 3 courses (what a waste, or waist?!) --

~ can 2 people share the meal at single price?

~ option for smaller price for EITHER the 3 courses, OR the burger?

Edited by mlmorrison

I am glad to here this is on the Ruby. We are booked for next March California Coastal.. I like the name...Wheelhouse...Salty Dog... I get it,maybe because I am from New England. Half our restaurants and bars are nautical themed ;). The menu looks really interesting I am putting it on the must do list. DH would like this much more than Share.

Edited by knbcruisers

~ can 2 people share the meal at single price?

~ option for smaller price for EITHER the 3 courses, OR the burger?

At a specialty restaurant on Princess what you pay is not a menu price but a cover charge. A flat amount no matter how much or little you are served. Now in a setting such as Wheelhouse Bar you may be able to establish that you are only ordering a beverage while accompanying your tablemate who is having the Salty Dog menu. (Others have reported similarly from Crab Shack). But if you take one bite of your tablemate's food you will be rightly assessed the cover charge.

As for requesting a lower price for only ordering one section of the menu rather than all: the Maitre d' at Sabatini's and Crown Grill gets this request every day. And they know perfectly well that the intent is to save a few bucks by sharing, not to avoid "wasting food" as that is easily accomplished by just ORDERING LESS.

So everyone pays a single price for as much or as little food as they wish. Why make it more complicated than that?

You don't seem to have read anything that was said about the food.

It's not $8.95 for a burger. It is a whole dinner with starter, main courses, and desert.

You choose 3 items from the main course section. In my case I had the curried cauliflower, pig's cheeks and burger.

Didn't find the high tables and chairs an issue, we were there for a couple of hours in total and did not find them uncomfortable.

It was far better value food wise than the Crown Grill.

Edited by SwissDave

On the Emerald about a month ago we went into the Wheelhouse bar during the slack time to have a "shoofty." and a little drink. It was the high bar type stools that determined that it was not for us, as our bones can't do that manoeuvre any-more. I must add that it was pretty well full during opening times. Also we are of the old school who like a linen table cloth, just bare tables there. Well done Princess for trying something new.:D

Isn't it unfortunate, Ron the Rev, that these new, super duper "trendy" restaurants, cafes, etc., at sea and also on land, all have very uncomfortable seating? Those very high ("bar") chairs or even worse, the low metal stools without back supports? And Curtis Stone, I'm looking at you mate!

Mmmm, suspect they are trying to get you in, take your order (and more importantly, your money), make you as uncomfortable as possible so then you can get the heck outta there to make room for the next lot of suckers ... ooops, I mean 'diners'. ;)

Sorry, but when I wish to dine (or just eat a normal meal or snack for that matter) I want to be comfortable. LOL not gettin' any younger here .... :rolleyes:

We ate in the Salty Dog on our recent cruise on the Crown. We were served seated on the comfortable furniture, rather than the uncomfortable bar stools. I would have preferred sitting at a normal table and chairs, and I didn't find the arrangement all that comfortable, either.

By comfortable furniture do you mean a regular table and chairs? Or the little table (like a coffee table) and sofa type seats? We went to a pub lunch on the Regal in 2015 and hated these little seats to eat a meal hunched over we didn't enjoy the food as much as I think we could have.

We are taking our 95 year old aunt on the Ruby and really want to try this venue but she will never be able to relax on these stools and with my leg issues neither will I :(. Though she is game to try anything I would be nervous that she could topple off. Really hope we can get a standard table for the 5 of us was looking forward to a new dining experience.

By comfortable furniture do you mean a regular table and chairs? Or the little table (like a coffee table) and sofa type seats? We went to a pub lunch on the Regal in 2015 and hated these little seats to eat a meal hunched over we didn't enjoy the food as much as I think we could have.

We are taking our 95 year old aunt on the Ruby and really want to try this venue but she will never be able to relax on these stools and with my leg issues neither will I :(. Though she is game to try anything I would be nervous that she could topple off. Really hope we can get a standard table for the 5 of us was looking forward to a new dining experience.

We ate in seated on a couch on a little table, like a coffee table. I would have much preferred a normal table and chairs, but there are none of those in the Wheelhouse/Salty Dog combination. I agree, we would have enjoyed our dinner more at a normal table and chairs.

We ate there 3 times on a 15 day cruise. We like sitting at a high top, makes it more like a pub. Tried most things on the menu, liked everything. Staff was great service also was great. The pub lunch was served in the crown grill. My only comment was that they add a few more items to the menu.

We'll be on the Emerald next month and this sounds yummy and different, so we'll look forward to chowing down. Burger looks like an excellent mix of meats, but I'll need to give that lobster Mac and cheese a try!