Would you spend over $8000 and not get a booking number?

Here's a lady from Tampa Fl who spent over $8000 for a 12 night Royal Caribbean cruise....flew to Spain to get on the cruise, only to find out she had be dupped !! How can you go all the way over there with no paperwork showing you're on the cruise? Her and 3 other ladies apparently never wondered why their charges never showed up on their credit card reflecting the cost of their cruise (I'd like to think they used credit cards)

Boy you talk about being gullible ! CruiseOne took a hit in the PR dept on this one.

It still amazes me how many red flags they missed.

http://wfla.com/2016/05/09/authorities-say-travel-associate-swindled-customers-with-fake-cruise-vouchers/

Edited by SRQfireman

Her and 3 other ladies apparently never wondered why their charges never showed up on their credit card reflecting the cost of their cruise

The article said they're trying to get refunds. So they were charged.

Also, where are you getting that they had no paperwork? Was there another article saying that? Just because they were duped doesn't mean they were stupid. Just naive. If they weren't experienced cruisers, they likely had no clue they could verify the cruise independently of the travel agent.

The article said they're trying to get refunds. So they were charged.

Yew, I agree the article infers that they were charged. If used cc they should get in touch with the provider(s) and get money back as service was not provided.

Well from experience (just last month) it can happen. We are a group of 5 cabins and myself being the 5th.

I posted that same question on CC.

The TA sent official looking paper. Long story short I had to demand to get the booking number. It took almost two weeks.

Not one of the four other cabins were given a booking number.

No one questioned it. They would say "we are not worried about it."

I took the great advice here and fired the TA with help from RCCL.

I have since received two price reductions and gained $250.00 in OBC since leaving that awful TA.

Those girls did not receive one mark down and were eligible.

Although, I don't feel this agent will take their money (I can see on my reservation that we are linked) it's amazing how uninformed people are when it comes to their money and health.

It's the new norm as far as I am concerned.

We are turning into a dumb downed society.

Happy cruising!

Well from experience (just last month) it can happen. We are a group of 5 cabins and myself being the 5th.

I posted that same question on CC.

The TA sent official looking paper. Long story short I had to demand to get the booking number. It took almost two weeks.

Not one of the four other cabins were given a booking number.

No one questioned it. They would say "we are not worried about it."

I took the great advice here and fired the TA with help from RCCL.

I have since received two price reductions and gained $250.00 in OBC since leaving that awful TA.

Those girls did not receive one mark down and were eligible.

Although, I don't feel this agent will take their money (I can see on my reservation that we are linked) it's amazing how uninformed people are when it comes to their money and health.

It's the new norm as far as I am concerned.

We are turning into a dumb downed society.

Happy cruising!

When I book with a TA, I get a contract that I sign specifying the comps and other details. After I get the invoice and with the booking #, I go to RCL's website and look for the specific cruise. Many times I don't see it in my cruise acct. I enter the booking # and when it show up in my cruises I'm satisfied that everything is in order.

When I book with a TA, I get a contract that I sign specifying the comps and other details. After I get the invoice and with the booking #, I go to RCL's website and look for the specific cruise. Many times I don't see it in my cruise acct. I enter the booking # and when it show up in my cruises I'm satisfied that everything is in order.

I do the same thing when booking with travel agents. I check and double check several times right after booking, and up until sailing or departure/arriving at my destination. I haven't had any issues with obtaining booking or confirmation numbers in the past, but know of others who have, at which point they demanded the information, and then confirmed everything afterwards. For our cruise on the Oasis next weekend, we used an online TA, and have all the confirmation information, which links up with what Royals website has listed. For hotels, and other travel plans, its the same, everything links up. I normally eliminate the middle man (TA) and handle things myself to avoid going through the stress of having to contact someone else if something is not right.

Never book on the internet unless you know the company like triple A or Costco or such. I doubt she would have a claim after a full year with her credit card company. I've heard of many small legitimate TA's go out of business leaving passengers stranded or without their vacations. Always check for a bonded / insured TA if you must use one.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Just for my own education, when the deposit is taken by the TA what is the time frame for RCL to receive said deposit. Also, why does the TA (mine) wants the full balance at more than 90 days-- Anthem sail on Aug. 25th and full payment is due May 11. When I book directly with RCL, usually the final payment is 75 days. Float/usage of funds?

Just for my own education, when the deposit is taken by the TA what is the time frame for RCL to receive said deposit. Also, why does the TA (mine) wants the full balance at more than 90 days-- Anthem sail on Aug. 25th and full payment is due May 11. When I book directly with RCL, usually the final payment is 75 days. Float/usage of funds?

I'm always using a TA.

I've asked the same question -- the answer was "to be on the safe side" - sometimes a payment doesn't get through the credit card company, mistakes, people forget to pay... I had to pay the "final" on January 8th, but I had a new credit line starting on January 15th, and asked for an extension. She said "no problem", even if on the invoice it said January 8th. It gives them some flexibility.

Also, don't forget that now, all cruises booked after March 7, 2016 will have to pay the "final" much earlier...

[since I'm not getting any interest on my money, I don't mind paying the "final" a bit earlier.]

Immediate.

You may be a good, reliable, knowledgeable traveler who knows and observes deadlines.

Many cruisers are not so good. Travel agents sometimes have to spend days, even weeks, getting their clients to make their payments.

(the final payment dates changed on March 7. It is now 90 days, not 75)

Here's a lady from Tampa Fl who spent over $8000 for a 12 night Royal Caribbean cruise....flew to Spain to get on the cruise, only to find out she had be dupped !! How can you go all the way over there with no paperwork showing you're on the cruise? Her and 3 other ladies apparently never wondered why their charges never showed up on their credit card reflecting the cost of their cruise (I'd like to think they used credit cards)

Boy you talk about being gullible ! CruiseOne took a hit in the PR dept on this one.

It still amazes me how many red flags they missed.

http://wfla.com/2016/05/09/authorities-say-travel-associate-swindled-customers-with-fake-cruise-vouchers/

What real value would a "booking number" have been ? If this was a sham then they could very easily have just given them a bogus booking number made up out of thin air.

The failure occurred when these ladies did not verify their booking directly with the cruise line. A booking number, in and of itself, would not have meant anything if they didn't follow up with a direct verification.

Our TA sends us our copy via email which I download and print out. Our TA also will show a final Payment date as much as a week or two earlier then the cruise lines to be sure everyone calls in their final payment on time and they can process the payments to the cruise lines. If I notify our TA to call in a payment, either she or an associate calls the cruise line that day who actually charge our credit card.

Our cruise in July 2017 a 7 day with friends, actually has a final payment due in March, some 4 months before sailing. This one cruise is a group booking with our friends TA, while the cruises in April of 2018 with our TA both 7 day and a b2b, show a final payment date, the 90 days.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

You may be booked into a group, which has earlier final payment deadlines.

And the TA should be paying RCI with your credit card number directly on the TA booking website, Cruising Power so, as Merion Mom said, RCI should receive and post it immediately.

What real value would a "booking number" have been ? If this was a sham then they could very easily have just given them a bogus booking number made up out of thin air.

The failure occurred when these ladies did not verify their booking directly with the cruise line. A booking number, in and of itself, would not have meant anything if they didn't follow up with a direct verification.

A booking number would be very valuable to me. I could go into RCCL's website and actually see my cruise (now there's a novel idea).....How do you confirm your booked ?

I'm always using a TA.

I've asked the same question -- the answer was "to be on the safe side" - sometimes a payment doesn't get through the credit card company, mistakes, people forget to pay... I had to pay the "final" on January 8th, but I had a new credit line starting on January 15th, and asked for an extension. She said "no problem", even if on the invoice it said January 8th. It gives them some flexibility.

Also, don't forget that now, all cruises booked after March 7, 2016 will have to pay the "final" much earlier...

[since I'm not getting any interest on my money, I don't mind paying the "final" a bit earlier.]

I've booked 2 cruises after March 7 and still 75 days out for final payment.

I've booked 2 cruises after March 7 and still 75 days out for final payment.

Even though your invoice may say that (because they make mistakes like that all the time), they are probably still enforcing the 90 day time frame.

I wouldn't take the chance! At least call and ask.

You may be booked into a group, which has earlier final payment deadlines.

And the TA should be paying RCI with your credit card number directly on the TA booking website, Cruising Power so, as Merion Mom said, RCI should receive and post it immediately.

I don't see the transactions on RCL's web site that is why I asked. If RCL showed the payment transactions for any cruises booked via a TA it would provide the customer important data for security (fraud) and other misc. reasons.