Just a vent - get sick every time we cruise

tbmrt

It has been reported that a number of doctors will prescribe antibiotics for insistent patients, knowing that they will be essentially ineffective, - because it is easier to humor them than to educate them. Sadly, that attitude contributes to the proliferation of resistant infectious agents.

Amen and so true! Easier for a doctor to give in than to try to spend half of their day educating individuals the science of the abuse and overuse of antibiotics.

I have gone on cruises tired out from getting ready for the cruise. Packing, selecting, getting everything together. What is really stressful is panicked and/or late-night packing the night before. So, I know for me it's better to be ready ahead. And that means, starting way ahead. Because everything takes longer than you think. Think how much time you need to get ready. Then double it and start then. Start out your first travel day relaxed. Or at least as relaxed as possible. Being tired and exhausted is a recipe for a cold/sore throat.

Hi, OP - would you consider taking a good probiotic immune defence/booster?

I'm not sure if these are available to you, but I'm sure you coild find something similar locally.

http://ethicalnutrients.com.au/Products/product?groupkey=IHIBA

As for antibiotics, my doctor makes me take my prescription everywhere. I get severe kidney infections suddenly - I'm not exaggerating, I get no warning at all. I'm absolutely 100% fine and healthy when I go to bed, but wake in agony, delirious and with a terrible fever a few hours later. Due to the severity of each infection I've had (6 in the last two years) he feels that it's better for me to have the prescription ready to go as soon as it hits than to wait for another few hours to see him (and by that stage I usually need to be admitted to hospital). I've had scans and tests to make sure that I don't have any kidney damage and he wants to avoid it happening. The sooner I start taking antibiotics when I get an infection, the lower the chance I'll end up with permanent damage. I never take antibiotics without very good reason, and I don't think having antibiotics on hand for my situation is irresponsible or unreasonable.

Why would I try to make you feel ashamed? I think you're wrong, but you can do whatever you like.......just understand what you're doing and what it means.

I certainly don't feel ashamed - I said that some of you are trying to guilt others of us to come over to your way of thinking. Many of you also like to infer that we are "overly insistent or don't understand". YES we understand the proper use of antibiotics - we FULLY understand - which is why our Dr.s let us take the prescription with us. :D I don't have to insist on anything - my Dr. knows my health.

Most times I travel my prescription travels right back home with me - so I certainly don't over use. I also checked with the ships Dr. before I took mine on the last cruise - although this time I wouldn't as she was useless.

So I'll just continue to laugh at all the snarky comments. :p

I certainly don't feel ashamed - I said that some of you are trying to guilt others of us to come over to your way of thinking. Many of you also like to infer that we are "overly insistent or don't understand". YES we understand the proper use of antibiotics - we FULLY understand - which is why our Dr.s let us take the prescription with us. :D I don't have to insist on anything - my Dr. knows my health.

Most times I travel my prescription travels right back home with me - so I certainly don't over use. I also checked with the ships Dr. before I took mine on the last cruise - although this time I wouldn't as she was useless.

So I'll just continue to laugh at all the snarky comments. :p

A doctor who can prescribe antibiotics BEFORE knowing what infectious agents might (or might not) be involved must really know your health.

A doctor who can prescribe antibiotics BEFORE knowing what infectious agents might (or might not) be involved must really know your health.

The Dr. on Eclipse that I saw when I became very ill - she didn't know what infectious agents were involved either and yet she had me take the antibiotic. She took no blood work, did no x-ray so your comment is laughable.

I get that some of you want to think we get a sniffle and start popping antibiotics - but you are so far off base. It kills you that we, as adults, with our Dr's care can make this decision.

Count yourself lucky if you don't have to have this concern when you travel - but some of us do. This becomes very important if you are in countries where the medical care is questionable or if you are on a ship with many sea days.

Not necessarily. Some people can only take certain antibiotics because of serious sensitivities, and it's easier and safer to get a prescription or the actual meds from your own doctor who knows you. Also, as previously mentioned, sometimes you need to have an antibiotic on hand quickly. If you have a recurring problem you already know what works, and the sooner you get it into you the better.

I avoid antibiotics for me and my family wherever possible, and I won't be taking any with us on our cruise. I agree with the general philosophy of over-prescribing of antibiotics, and I have found that even a bacterial infection can often be sorted by other means. But things aren't always so black and white. My mother needs to travel with the only kind of antibiotic her body will tolerate. She can go from a simple cold that just makes the rest of us a little miserable but not really sick to a serious sinus or chest infection in no time. She already does what she can to prevent getting sick, including flushing her sinuses regularly when she travels. The meds are extra insurance so she doesn't have the stress of dealing with a foreign doctor who doesn't know her history. She has been through this enough to know when she needs to take them.

No, not really -- doctors often prescribe an antibiotic without knowing the infectious agents (for example for UTIs) or on a presumption of an infectious agent (for example, when clinical signs indicate likely Strep throat).

However......

A doctor that prescribes antibiotics on the presumption that something might happen, even though the patient is going to be within easy reach of a trained medical doctor, is either lazy or uninformed; a patient who wants those drugs is either cheap or uninformed. We're not talking about someone who is going to be hiking the Himalayas or taking a canoe through the Amazon. Should something happen, a doctor is available (and even speaks their language! added bonus!) to make at least a presumptive diagnosis and provide access to medication.

a patient who wants those drugs is either cheap or uninformed. We're not talking about someone who is going to be hiking the Himalayas or taking a canoe through the Amazon. Should something happen, a doctor is available (and even speaks their language! added bonus!) to make at least a presumptive diagnosis and provide access to medication.

There are a lot of people who have medical conditions that require quick treatment . I have COPD and any infection I get goes to my chest . The sooner I am on antibiotics the better and I am neither cheap or ill informed . I was a RN for forty years . I am just pro active about my health . Sometimes the doctor's that are available when travelling are sub par and do not know my history .

I get that some of you want to think we get a sniffle and start popping antibiotics - but you are so far off base. It kills you that we, as adults, with our Dr's care can make this decision.

Count yourself lucky if you don't have to have this concern when you travel - but some of us do. This becomes very important if you are in countries where the medical care is questionable or if you are on a ship with many sea days.

Very well said!

A doctor that prescribes antibiotics on the presumption that something might happen, even though the patient is going to be within easy reach of a trained medical doctor, is either lazy or uninformed; a patient who wants those drugs is either cheap or uninformed. We're not talking about someone who is going to be hiking the Himalayas or taking a canoe through the Amazon. Should something happen, a doctor is available (and even speaks their language! added bonus!) to make at least a presumptive diagnosis and provide access to medication.

This is such a ridiculous statement that it just makes me shake my head ... we are going to have to agree to disagree ...

"Easy reach of a trained medical Doctor" - brahaha - did you even read what I wrote? I WENT to the ship's Dr. Her English skills were so poor that I had a very time understanding her. I really don't think she understood me.

She had no clue what I had, but now I'm "cheap, uniformed, and lazy". Seriously people get over yourselves.

"Easy reach of a trained medical Doctor" - brahaha - did you even read what I wrote? I WENT to the ship's Dr. Her English skills were so poor that I had a very time understanding her. I really don't think she understood me.

She had no clue what I had, but now I'm "cheap, uniformed, and lazy". Seriously people get over yourselves.

Of course I read what you said -- a doctor (who speaks English, however poorly) was available. That was exactly my point. And I'm sure there were doctors available in many of the ports where the ship stopped. (And I said the doctor was lazy, not the patient -- too lazy to properly practice good antibiotic stewardship.)

Then your body works differently than the rest of the human race. You can find plenty of studies and journal articles about antibiotic abuse AND about doctors whose over-prescribing is fueling the problem.

The larger issue is that this affects all of us. As people over-use antibiotics, the so-called "super bugs" gain resistance to those medications, meaning that antibiotics are becoming less and less effective -- and this is true for everyone, not just people who choose to over-use them. It really is a public health issue.

Edited by MrsPete

Then your body works differently than the rest of the human race. You can find plenty of studies and journal articles about antibiotic abuse AND about doctors whose over-prescribing is fueling the problem.

The larger issue is that this affects all of us. As people over-use antibiotics, the so-called "super bugs" gain resistance to those medications, meaning that antibiotics are becoming less and less effective -- and this is true for everyone, not just people who choose to over-use them. It really is a public health issue.

Wow - this is just what I'm talking about - now those of us that take antibiotics with us - are automatically over-users! :eek: You have NOTHING to back up that statement.

So that makes us responsible for "super bugs". YOU have no idea when I or anyone else takes an antibiotic or for what the reason is if we do. So once again you have NOTHING to back that up.

You assume my Dr is an over prescriber - once again you got NOTHING to back that up. His job is to do his best to keep ME healthy - your concern about my treatment is laughable.

Like I said - if you are fortunate enough that this isn't a concern for you - than I'm happy for you, some of us weren't blessed that way. I don't need your approval to follow the advice of my physician. :D

Those of you who cannot relate to those whose health isn't the best - watch out - you could fall off your high horse someday. :)

Interesting. Its sea air so shouldnt be dry. If you fly down is it possible you are picking up something on the plane. We sanitize our seats, arms and head rests trays. Keep hydrated take airborne, which is a big dose of vitamin C. Also if someone is coughing near us. Our masks go on. Could be you are picking something up on the plane and by day 2-4 of the cruise it comes out. Just a theory as my husband and I got tired of getting sick after we fly.

Hope this helps

Wow - this is just what I'm talking about - now those of us that take antibiotics with us - are automatically over-users! :eek: You have NOTHING to back up that statement.

So that makes us responsible for "super bugs". YOU have no idea when I or anyone else takes an antibiotic or for what the reason is if we do. So once again you have NOTHING to back that up.

You assume my Dr is an over prescriber - once again you got NOTHING to back that up. His job is to do his best to keep ME healthy - your concern about my treatment is laughable.

Like I said - if you are fortunate enough that this isn't a concern for you - than I'm happy for you, some of us weren't blessed that way. I don't need your approval to follow the advice of my physician. :D

Those of you who cannot relate to those whose health isn't the best - watch out - you could fall off your high horse someday. :)

Sorry - the over-use of anti-biopics is generally recognized as accelerating the evolution of infectious agents -so those who pointlessly use anti-biotics (those who pointlessly try to prevent virus-caused infections for example - and the doctors who prescribe anti-biotics for people to carry around - without knowing the agents to which those people might become exposed) most certainly do contribute to the emergence of super-bugs.

Sorry - the over-use of anti-biopics is generally recognized as accelerating the evolution of infectious agents -so those who pointlessly use anti-biotics (those who pointlessly try to prevent virus-caused infections for example - and the doctors who prescribe anti-biotics for people to carry around - without knowing the agents to which those people might become exposed) most certainly do contribute to the emergence of super-bugs.

Who said anything about trying to prevent virus-caused infections? Some of you seem to imply that those of us who carry antibiotics just start popping them at the first little sneeze or itch we feel ... sheesh ... :rolleyes:

Who said anything about trying to prevent virus-caused infections? Some of you seem to imply that those of us who carry antibiotics just start popping them at the first little sneeze or itch we feel ... sheesh ... :rolleyes:

Why do you carry antibiotics? If you are taking them to treat a condition for which a doctor recommended them that is one thing. But a number of posts here have been by people who bring them along "just in case" --- which means that they will self-diagnose and will start using them without having any idea of whether they will have any effect .

The sad fact is that a lot of people seem to believe that antibiotics are cure-alls, and they seem to have doctors who will advance-prescribe anti-biotics and essentially empower them to self medicate. Questionable attitude on the part of the patients - supported by arguably questionable prescribing on the part of doctors - has clearly led to the wider use of anti-biotics which has clearly led to their diminished efficacy.

Not even just virus-caused infections. Not all bacterial infections need systemic antibiotics either.

Why do you carry antibiotics? If you are taking them to treat a condition for which a doctor recommended them that is one thing. But a number of posts here have been by people who bring them along "just in case" --- which means that they will self-diagnose and will start using them without having any idea of whether they will have any effect .

The sad fact is that a lot of people seem to believe that antibiotics are cure-alls, and they seem to have doctors who will advance-prescribe anti-biotics and essentially empower them to self medicate. Questionable attitude on the part of the patients - supported by arguably questionable prescribing on the part of doctors - has clearly led to the wider use of anti-biotics which has clearly led to their diminished efficacy.

I haven't seen anyone on here who is advocating self diagnosing. Those adults that travel with antibiotics do so because we know we have a proven track record of coming down with an illness that needs to be treated with an antibiotic and the sooner the better, but you don't want to hear that.

I'm not as concerned about my Alaskan cruise as good medical care will be available over the entire 16 night trip. However next year during a 15 Panama Canal trip - I will be taking everything I feel that I might need to get me to disembarkation.

I would never seek treatment in Mexico unless it was life or death - have had a relative do that and it was a nightmare when the hospital demanded a $5,000 down payment before they would begin treatment for kidney stones. :eek:

DH spent 8 months living in China - nope - I wouldn't want medical care there either as we found out when he became ill. I've had to get medical help in Malaysia - once again not good. Are there countries with good medical care - of course, but many times when you travel there isn't any.

Are antibiotics over prescribed - yes I believe they are and I believe the biggest abusers are parents with sick children. So we will just agree to disagree.

I haven't seen anyone on here who is advocating self diagnosing. Those adults that travel with antibiotics do so because we know we have a proven track record of coming down with an illness that needs to be treated with an antibiotic and the sooner the better, but you don't want to hear that.

That would be self-diagnosis, LOL. Diagnosing what you get then as what you've had before.

That would be self-diagnosis, LOL. Diagnosing what you get then as what you've had before.

I have one distinct symptom that I get that tells me I'm getting the illness that we treat with antibiotics, there is no mistaking it. So maybe that is self diagnosing - which in my case then is smart and is with my Dr.s approval as he knows that I know when it is starting. :D

What I am calling self diagnosing is when you have no idea what you might have or be getting and just throw antibiotics at it "hoping". Like I said - some of us with chronic conditions know and so do our Dr.'s. The rest of you can cry about super bugs all you want - you turn down antibiotics next time you are prescribed them then. :)

You are assuming that the antibiotics available on the ship are suitable.

I am another one who is prone to bronchitis, and I've had it often enough to know the difference between bronchitis and a viral respiratory illness. When I do come down with bronchitis it only responds to one particular type of antibiotic, which I now carry with me when I cruise.

On our last cruise I was fine until we reached Bali. The air pollution there was dreadful. We didn't go ashore but it was obviously in the air where the ship was anchored. We spent much of the day on deck and that night I had an irritated throat. Not sore, it just felt a bit scratchy. Next day I had a dry cough, and the morning after that I woke up with a full-on attack of bronchitis. I was very thankful to have the right antibiotics with me which cleared the infection very quickly. I still had inflamed respiratory passages for the rest of the cruise but at least I wasn't coughing up revolting gunk.

I have had issues, when travelling in the past, from doctors who refused to prescribe the right type of antibiotics and, in one case, had to travel three days to get home feeling very ill indeed, and was a hair's breadth away from being admitted to hospital with pneumonia by the time we arrived home.

Certainly there are people who insist on antibiotics for the slightest cough or cold, and I'm sure there are doctors who prescribe them just to shut their patients up. However that should not restrict those people who truly need them, and who are knowledgeable and sensible enough to only use them when absolutely necessary, from being able to carry suitable antibiotics with them when they cruise.

Going back to the original question...

A few months ago, there was a story on NPR about using ginger to boost your immune system. I ended up ordering the book (on holistic medicine) and started drinking ginger tea. Three weeks before my cruise, my husband came home sick from a business trip, so thus began the game of keeping myself healthy.

Thankfully, between obsessive hand washing, drinking ginger tea daily (I brought tea bags on the cruise with me) and taking a probiotic daily, I managed to make it to and from Europe without picking up a respiratory infection. Generally by now, I would be down for the count coughing and sneezing. We also avoided people on the cruise and excursions who were sneezing or obviously ill.

I think there is definitely something to the theory about the overly dry air as well, and I'm pretty sure that was addressed on the same program where I learned about using ginger.

Now, your mileage may vary. So make sure you do the appropriate research for yourself before trying something new so that you don't find you have a sensitivity to ginger or anything else that a message board participant is recommending.

Cheers, K