Disappearing luggage????

I was just watching a video on what to pack in your carry on bag, the woman said if her luggage doesn't get to her room that day...or ever! WHAA? How is it you don't get your luggage at all on your cruise? where the heck did they put it then? Seems very peculiar to me to not get your luggage the whole time your on your cruise, do people complain about it at all? Or is it a normal thing to happen? Has it happened to anyone on here, what did you end up having to wear the whole time on your cruise?:confused:

We have never had any problems with missing luggage when we drop the bags off we don't see them again until they are placed outside our room later in the day.

Sometimes mishaps can happen with bag labels going astray or bags are being held up because the security scanning of the bag needs further investigation. When this happens the bags are held in a separate location to be collected if you ever have any concerns about your bag being delayed just mention it to either shipboard reception or your steward.

A tip I can offer is to put the bag label in a plastic sleeve pocket and use staples when attaching it to the bag as this makes it waterproof and a lot stronger.

It is also a wise idea to make sure any documents and medications as well as a change of clothes and bathers are packed in your carryon bag.

Our bags have always arrived and I don't know personally of anyone whose bags have been lost after they hand them in at the cruise terminal. I have read on the American section of this forum that occasionally bags handed in at Fort Lauderdale terminal might not make it onto the ship if the wharf employee is not given a tip.:D

It's not a common occurrence, but the person in the video was probably talking about any eventuality.

For example, I've heard of a case where luggage was lost over the side of the ship when being loaded. All up very rare, so not something to worry about, but if you need something on hand good to have it in carry on.

Its not common ,but it does happen. An experienced traveller usually carries a change of underclothes and clean socks in their carry ons , in case any luggage is "misplaced":rolleyes:

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

Hi SpiritAngel, don't fret. I like others here have never had any problems with luggage not arriving at my cabin. To be on the safe side though I pack any medication (prescription type not Panadol etc), a change of underwear, any valuables (e.g. if i have jewellery), make-up, camera, iPod and a charging cable in the carry on, the same as I do when I fly. That way if something terrible did happen to the luggage I have enough to get by. I can fit all of this in a medium sized handbag/tote so it is not a lot to carry. Others I know use a small backpack. Having bathers in carry on is a good idea if you want to use the pools on the first day.

It happened to us once on a 4 day. My DH's bag never made it to the room until the last night. Although Carnival kept putting paperwork in the cabin about a number of bags that were missing.

It was Spring Break and we think it was in a cabin of young men, because we saw a young man with a way too big shirt and tie that was exactly what my DH had brought (bought for our wedding at two different stores).

His bag arrived on our bed the last night and it had been gone through. The dress shirt and tie were just shoved in the side, and someone had eaten dinner in the outfit. My DH would not let me stop the young man when we saw him across the room.

They gave him one t-shirt to wear, and we bough some others on board, but since he had jeans to wear he could not go to the MDR for formal night. That was a number of years ago, it wouldn't matter as much now.

Now we always cross pack, and take a few mix and match items, along with a nice shirt for both of us in our carry on bags.

One cruise we were on we noticed our suitcases, black, outside our cabin door as we were leaving to explore the ship so we put them into our cabin

Arriving back later we noticed another suitcase outside our cabin which was ours

Checking the other suitcases we found one of them didn't belong to us so I stuck it outside the correct cabin number

Wonder how many times this happens when the passengers go to unpack and think hello I don't recognise those clothes?

Now we always cross pack, and take a few mix and match items, along with a nice shirt for both of us in our carry on bags.

We've never had a problem but I also mix and match across our suitcases just in case for both air or sea travel. If one bag goes missing at least everyone has a change of clothes.

One cruise we were on we noticed our suitcases, black, outside our cabin door as we were leaving to explore the ship so we put them into our cabin

Arriving back later we noticed another suitcase outside our cabin which was ours

Checking the other suitcases we found one of them didn't belong to us so I stuck it outside the correct cabin number

Wonder how many times this happens when the passengers go to unpack and think hello I don't recognise those clothes?

Cross fingers, never happened to me. I had to buy new luggage Kats year, the ultralight ones I hope I can manage. My old faithful was getting a bit bulky for an old lady. This time I bought a bright orange bag, try missing that one!

We've never had a problem but I also mix and match across our suitcases just in case for both air or sea travel. If one bag goes missing at least everyone has a change of clothes.

Always good advice, because your bag will go missing at the worst possible time. The only time I have had a bag go missing was on a trip to Anchorage AK early in January, lovely to fly out of Sydney that year on a 40 deg day to arrive in the middle of a blizzard with only a carry on!

Luckily I had planned ahead and my cold weather gear, a change of clothes etc were what my carry on contained as my bag arrived 3 days later :(

Cross packing is never a bad idea.

We do the same.

For a cruise we pack a change of clothes in our carry-ons just in case our bags don't arrive before we want to change for dinner but this has never been a problem so far. Often our bags are there by the time we get back from lunch.

We have never had any problems with missing luggage when we drop the bags off we don't see them again until they are placed outside our room later in the day.

Sometimes mishaps can happen with bag labels going astray or bags are being held up because the security scanning of the bag needs further investigation. When this happens the bags are held in a separate location to be collected if you ever have any concerns about your bag being delayed just mention it to either shipboard reception or your steward.

A tip I can offer is to put the bag label in a plastic sleeve pocket and use staples when attaching it to the bag as this makes it waterproof and a lot stronger.

It is also a wise idea to make sure any documents and medications as well as a change of clothes and bathers are packed in your carryon bag.

Interesting choice for a carry-on ;)

One of the reasons we fly in one or two days early to a port is that our luggage has a chance getting to us if the airlines misplace it

Returning home from London last trip Mr Malaysia Airlines left my suitcase at London and it took 4 days to get home to me

At least it was coming home not going

One of the reasons we fly in one or two days early to a port is that our luggage has a chance getting to us if the airlines misplace it

Returning home from London last trip Mr Malaysia Airlines left my suitcase at London and it took 4 days to get home to me

At least it was coming home not going

A few years ago we went on a land tour of South America, flying Brisbane-Sydney, then Sydney-Santiago. Mr Qantas left our luggage in Sydney and didn't load them onto the international flight. Two other people in the tour group of around 30 people also didn't get their cases. All we had was our carry-on baggage. It was four days before the cases for three people in the group caught up with us. It was several more days before the last piece of luggage arrived. Unfortunately, that man had packed his important medication in his main suitcase.:( Part of the problem was that we were on a schedule for the tour.

I've had 3 cruises where my luggage wasn't delivered to the cabin.

On 2 of those occasions it was because the luggage tag had fallen off. On both occasions I was able to collect the luggage from the purser's desk later that evening. No problem.

On the other occasion, my luggage was sent to the naughty room. I was alerted to the situation by my cabin steward and a voice mail message left on the cabin phone. Can't complain about the system at all.

I've done 15 cruises never had a problem with my luggage going completely AWOL.