Veendam Canada New England

I am researching a possible Canada New England for 2017 and have questions about the Veendam.

On bigger ships I'm usually a balcony person, but the suite prices are just a bit out of my range on this 13 night cruise.

So how "low" do you feel in an Ocean View on Deck A. It seems to be 4 deck above the water line so even though it is lowest passenger deck, does it really feel that low?

I'm leaning toward an E on this deck, but would I be happier up on the Main Deck in a C, or save the money and stick with the E on A deck/

How about a Lania? Does you key card open the sliding door? or do you have to go around to the hall to get back in your room once you shut the door?

Any pointers the HAL experts can give are appreciated - its been a while since I have cruised with HAL - last time was Rotterdam in 1993.

A Deck is my favorite place to stay. My preferred cabins are as far forward as possible with a window (not portholes). The last time I was on the Veendam they were category FF.

I love being able to look out my window and see the goings on on the pier. Though, I would caution to leave the sheers closed because you can see in the windows from the pier. :)

As far forward as I prefer to be, you can hear anchor and thrusting noises, and the bow wake can be quite loud when it hits the side of the ship. But the noise does not bother me.

I don't spend time on balconies. And I like to be able to leave my curtains open overnight (I pull the sheers before I get out of bed -- the beds on the Veendam are under the windows). So the ocean view cabins on the low decks are perfect for me.

If you're used to the balconies, you may be disappointed, but I do love those cabins.

Edited to add: I find it only feels that low when you're climbing the stairs to the Crow's Nest. :)

Edited by ellieanne

Veendam is a small ship -easy to get around.

Any deck is a good deck. Plus the lower decks have access to open aft decks so the closer you get to those tail end cabins, it is almost like having a private verandah around the corner and out the heavy door as they have loungers and often very few people using them.

I think you will enjoy the open deck options available to all passengers on this ship - covered 360 promenade deck, covered glass dome when the weather is cool for the open lido pool area with large side viewing windows, lots of windows in the lounges and the upper most Crows Nest looking out straight forward seeing that the captain sees.

I don't think you will miss a thing not having a private balcony and because you will now be moving all over the ship for the views, which gives you will you far more options than just your own balcony side view.

Except now you have to get out of your pajamas to have that morning outdoor coffee. :cool: (PS I love balconies too, but when it comes to having the cruise or having a balcony, sign me up for A deck.

Edited by OlsSalt

How about a Lania? Does you key card open the sliding door? or do you have to go around to the hall to get back in your room once you shut the door?

Lanai cabins have the usual key card for entrance from the inside passageways. There's a separate card for the slider to the Lower Promenade Deck. You use that to come back in directly from outside.

Be aware, though, that the Lanai cabins are significantly smaller than the outside cabins on the lower two decks.

Lanai cabins have the usual key card for entrance from the inside passageways. There's a separate card for the slider to the Lower Promenade Deck. You use that to come back in directly from outside.

Be aware, though, that the Lanai cabins are significantly smaller than the outside cabins on the lower two decks.

I always book a Lanai cabin on a HAL cruise .I love them . As far as the cabin being smaller ,that is a surprise to me .I cannot recall them being smaller.

I have sailed that itinerary on Maasdam several times and I've sailed on Veendam to Bermuda, so here's my take. Don't spend anything extra for a balcony. Not necessary and as has been pointed out Veendam is a lovely small sized ship that is easy to get around and if you are on deck 6, which is my personal favorite, you are just steps from the wrap-around deck which is far superior to a small private balcony. I've had a regular ocean view on deck 6 and also a lanai, and both are wonderful. The lanai is a tiny bit smaller than the ocean view (not "significantly" IMO), but having the door directly to the deck is amazing. You are provided a separate key card for your lanai door, which is a bit inconvenient because it means you have to remember to carry both, or be limited as to which one you can come back in through! My only gripe with the lanai is that the door is heavy and of course it can't be left open (don't leave ANY cabin door open - even to a private balcony...) Lanai's can be significantly more expensive though, so in my opinion, if you are looking for the best price for the best cabin I'd go with a non-lanai cabin with a full size window on deck 6 near an exit door. That said, there is no bad cabin on Veendam - even the lower deck (A) that you asked about is fine especially if the price is much lower than for deck 6. No, you won't feel too "low". Try to be near a staircase/elevator - I prefer forward because of proximity to the spa but that's just me. You'll love Veendam to Canada. Have fun!

Edited by Moriah

Veendm is a lovely ship with few less than perfect changes throughthe years. We always have a neptune Suite on NavigaVITION DeCK. tHasT Is whagweT e LIK.

Edited by sail7seas

Veendm is a lovely ship with few less than perfect changes throughthe years. Wer always have a neptunee Suite on NavigaVITION DeCK. tHasT Is whagweT e LIK.

LOL!! Sail, the only word I couldn't decipher was "peavaigatioat" but magically it was changed to "perfect" above when I clicked reply! How interesting!! Anyway, I agree completely since I assume you mean the aft pool being changed to little wading pools that are useless and destroy the atmosphere of the aft deck.

Veendm is a lovely ship with few less than perfect changes throughthe years. Wer always have a neptunee Suite on NavigaVITION DeCK. tHasT Is whagweT e LIK.

The suites are lovely, but it's not very helpful to the original poster who said that the suite prices were our of her range for the cruise she is looking at taking.

Sorry for the typos. I explained several times. My hand is botheringme I am having a hardtime typing

A little understanding, please.

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry for the typos. I explained several times. My hand is botheringtgroublmme an I am having a hardtime A gtyping

A little underwtqndingf, please.

Absolutely, Sail! I haven't seen your explanations before but I assumed something like it and truly I had no trouble understanding!! Good for you that you keep on contributing and don't let your hand keep you down! :)

The OP asked about Outsides and Lanais. I have had a lanai on Maasdam and Veendam. It's been our experience that when in port, the crew has been working on the lifeboats. In bermuda, they worked on the lifeboat opposite our stateroom for the days in port 3+. The Promenade deck was roped off as was our door to the outside. My couch would be an outside on promenade.

The lanai is a tiny bit smaller than the ocean view (not "significantly" IMO), ....

The lanais and outsides on Lower Promenade (which is what you are comparing) are the same size as each other. They are both smaller than the outsides on Main and A Deck, however.

As a matter of fact, they are smaller than the insides across the passageway.

We were on the Maasdam last September for the Canada/New England cruise. As we were late booking, we decided to go with a C guarantee and ended up in C583. We were quite pleased with the choice.

Which rooms are under the kitchen?

If you look at a deck plan for Lower Promenade Deck, you should find a doorway to the outside at about mid-ship. It's between the atrium and the aft staircase.

From there, back to the aft staircase, is under the galley.

Which rooms are under the kitchen?

When looking at deck plans, be sure to also check the deck plans above and below the cabin you are interested in. And what it is also along side on the inner blank portions of the deck plan - some are closer to the engines - vibrations and smells in the corridors.

I assumed cabins closer to the medical offices would be some of the most stable ones on the ship. Not sure if this is a valid expectation but it seems like it would make sense - they need it to be quiet and stable.

I am researching a possible Canada New England for 2017 and have questions about the Veendam.

On bigger ships I'm usually a balcony person, but the suite prices are just a bit out of my range on this 13 night cruise.

So how "low" do you feel in an Ocean View on Deck A. It seems to be 4 deck above the water line so even though it is lowest passenger deck, does it really feel that low?

I'm leaning toward an E on this deck, but would I be happier up on the Main Deck in a C, or save the money and stick with the E on A deck/

Any pointers the HAL experts can give are appreciated - its been a while since I have cruised with HAL - last time was Rotterdam in 1993.

We usually book OVs, though we have treated ourselves to a balcony a couple of times. We like those lower OV cabins :) We like that we can see the water from our cabin (which a cabin on Lower Promenade doesn't offer -- you see the deck from a cabin on LP).

IMHO one deck higher isn't going to seem noticeably "higher up". DH's first cabin was on the lowest passenger deck, our next cabin was one deck higher. The difference really wasn't noticeable (to us).

As to lanais.... I know some people love them. We have not booked one, because I just don't understand the appeal :)