Prague?

lattelady

Hello fine river cruisers! My freshly college-graduated daughter and I are going to take a trip next week that starts in Prague. Since it is just the two of us traveling, I feel a bit more concerned about safety than if my husband was joining us. First thing on the agenda is getting to the hotel from the airport. Do you think we are fine to uber? Once we are in town, are we good to use the mass transit? We are coming in a day early before the "river cruise" starts. I say cruise like that because the first couple of days are on land in Prague.

To say we are excited would be an understatement!

We were just there this past weekend ! Someone else will have to advise you on Uber. Our transfer was included in our package.

Public transit is easy, so check out the website before you go. We prefer trams over the subway...you can sight see along the way. There are various types of tickets...good for various lengths of time. I think the 30 minute was 24 cz crowns and the 90 minute was 32 cz. You must buy the tickets before you board. Tickets are available at the local tabac (?) Or variety type Store or at machines. We got ours the evening before we needed them. Once on the tram you validate it at the yellow box. The driver has nothing to do with cash or tickets. Once validated you can hop on and off any bus, tram or subway during your alloted time. Just keep your ticket to prove you have validated it in case you are checked.

If you want to have a good overview of the city sights and a lot of fun check out Prague on Segway dot com. The 8am tour is perfect before the crowds of tourists start jamming the streets/and squares. They tour with only 2 guests at a time, so it is a personally guided tour. We booked on line and only paid after the tour. Cash only.

Keep your wits about you, leave your passport and other valuables in the safe in your hotel and have a great time!

RB

We flew into Prague from Paris in early November last year. The airport is small and a ways out of the city. We had pre-booked a transfer with Prague Airport Transfers. We arranged to pay via credit card to the driver the cost was 450CZK which was at the time 19.20 USD with the exchange rate. When we arrived we were among the first of our flight that had gotten luggage and cleared immigration. There was a young man with a sign with ours and 2 other names on it. We introduced ourselves. Noted that another older man was also holding a sign with one of the names on our list, I tipped off the young man, that the last name to arrive had double booked, so our young man got the single older odd man to join us by being the first shuttle driver as he came out.:D

It was a nice new van, and about a 20 to 30 minute drive around 5:30PM. We were staying at the Hotel Grandior Prague, which I booked on Hotwire for $62.42. The hotel was very nice, rooms were small but lovely, and the breakfast was superb. We wandered around after dinner thru the streets of Prague and the next day without a concern in the world about our safety.

JC

Good morning,

I've been to Prague about 4 or 5 times and I never felt unsafe there. It's a wonderful city and you will absolutely enjoy it. We initially booked Prague Airport Transfer for our transport from the Airport to our Airbnb apartment but then they started offering their own transportation so I cancelled it. I booked it through Viator and was able to cancel and get a refund with no issue. I personally would stick to something like that so you can have a set amount of what you owe and there's no surprises.

Reb

I found lots of information on Trip Advisor website http://www.tripadvisor.com for our Prague visit in 2014. The Czech experts warned that taxis hailed in the street, including outside the airport, were much more likely to take the scenic route and seriously overcharge than those booked by phone through the central booking agency.

We booked a meet and greet from the airport and otherwise used the excellent public transport from the periphery of the old city. The old city is a vehicle free zone, serious walking. You can download and print maps from the internet.

The TIC near the old clock was a great source of information on tickets, routes, tourist passes etc.

My husband took a Segway tour, I took a "tip me what you think I'm worth" walking tour and we were both happy.

Prague is safe but pickpockets are always looking for an opportunity to ply their trade. They love crowds of tourists and will take advantage where they can. Be careful getting on and off trams and the metro as this is a likely opportunity. They also strike when the crowds in Old Town Square are watching the clock. If there is a crowd just be cautious and aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.

Wishing you an awesome trip.

Oh yay! :) That's awesome. I hope you enjoy it. I'm so excited for ours. I hope that you will share your photos when you get back.

Viking Cities Of Light: Prague to Paris.

Rebel, I think it was your blog that gave me the idea to book Jan's Photo Walk. Excited about it. Thank you!

I spent a week in Prague when my husband had business there a couple of years ago. I wandered all over the city by myself each day while he was in meetings. I never felt unsafe. Everyone was so friendly and warm, many willingly spoke perfect English, and it is a very easy city to navigate. Taking my own daughter back in July after our Danube cruise because it's such a perfect city to explore!

This is all music to my ears! Getting so excited. Tuesday!!

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I've been following this thread as we are booked on a Prague to Paris river cruise on AMA next June so I'm making notes on Prague. Please report back after your cruise.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I've been following this thread as we are booked on a Prague to Paris river cruise on AMA next June so I'm making notes on Prague. Please report back after your cruise.

Jennifer, my daughter that is getting this trip for college graduation just did so from the Capstone of your great state! :) Roll Tide!

Jennifer, my daughter that is getting this trip for college graduation just did so from the Capstone of your great state! :) Roll Tide!

Ingratiation a to your daughter on her graduation from my alma mater! My niece just completed her junior year and her brother will enter this fall. Roll Tide!

What line and itinerary for you and your daughter? I really do want a report! It's almost 13 months til we leave, and I'm already excited.

What line and itinerary for you and your daughter? I really do want a report! It's almost 13 months til we leave, and I'm already excited.

Viking Cities of Light: Prague to Paris

We are coming in early to Prague and then staying over in Paris.