Possible missing passenger - Liberty

redstapler7

I think you are missing the point.

It may not have been a deliberate jumping or any foul play; just the result of a poor decision = accidental as opposed to going over on purpose.

We might not ever learn what really happened that night but I bet Carnival disclaims all liability, and the family fights to make sure it is ruled accidental and not a suicide or foul play (if there is life insurance at play here).

Over on Websleuths, there's a thread about this "case" there. There's a persistent rumor that her husband is some sort of horse racing mogul who dopes his horses.

No idea where that's coming from, but the insurance thing made me think of it.

(No I don't think there was an elaborate plot.)

Over on Websleuths, there's a thread about this "case" there. There's a persistent rumor that her husband is some sort of horse racing mogul who dopes his horses.

No idea where that's coming from, but the insurance thing made me think of it.

(No I don't think there was an elaborate plot.)

I don't know anything about her husband or any of that, I just know that most life insurance policies won't pay if a death is ruled a suicide, whereas they will pay if the cause is accidental.

I was on the ship and have read every single post on this thread. First, to address how the situation was handled.

They started calling for the missing person around 10 am but no one really noticed at first because it wasn't out of the ordinary. Just for her to contact guest services. I noticed after the third time and commented to my bf that they were still calling for the same person.

As activities picked up on the lido deck the announcements became more frequent and people were getting annoyed. At this point we had no idea what was going on and every time the music stopped and we heard the ding people would holler her name and stuff like wake up! But a they came on every few minutes people began to quiet down and listen and wonder what was going on.

Then I started to notice crew members holding a photo and searching the crowd and some going every few feet looking over the deck. Shortly after the announcement came on for everyone to go to their room. This was around 3pm I would say.

Everyone moved quickly and cooperated. As we were in the rooms they kept giving updates and our steward came in and looked under beds and in closets etc.they announced they determined she was not on the boat and they alerted proper authorities and we would continue as planned but to please keep her in our thoughts.

An hour or so later they told us they had seen the footage that showed her going overboard and the coast guard was searching for her.

It was extremely sobering and very difficult to continue cruising like nothing had happened. The energy of the ship definitely changed as we carried on but it was on everyone's mind.

From that point forward I heard many many rumors about what happened including:

1. She ditched her friends and went off drinking on her own.

2. One of her friends witnessed the fall and did nothing

3. She was seen dancing with men lined up to dance with her

4. Four men were arrested from the fifth floor for pushing her off

5. One man was taken by the FBI in cozumel for stabbing her

6. FBI helicopters came to the boat

7. No authorities were involved and carnival was covering up the incident

8./and so on and so on

As you can see, many of these conflict each other.

In my opinion, carnival handled the event to the best of their ability. By the time her traveling companions realized she was missing they had no idea how long she had been missing but that she hadn't been seen in nearly 8.5 hours. At that point there was no reason to believe she was anywhere but on the boat. They began calling for her and searching for her quickly and without trying to alarm the other 3000 passengers. I am assuming they were reviewing the footage simultaneously considering how many cameras and hours of footage they would have to to through to find her. The media seems bothered by his long it took to alert the coast guard but why would those resources be activated until they could definitively prove she was not on the boat? It appeared a protocol was being followed as quickly and smoothly as possible.

The only truth known is that a woman went overboard early Friday morning and she has not been found. She leaves behind people that love her everything else is speculation.

Edited by Txbirdie

I don't know anything about her husband or any of that, I just know that most life insurance policies won't pay if a death is ruled a suicide, whereas they will pay if the cause is accidental.

Yes they will usually pay if the person has had the policy in effect for a certain amount of time. 2 years is common.

I was on the ship and have read every single post on this thread. First, to address how the situation was handled.

They started calling for the missing person around 10 am but no one really noticed at first because it wasn't out of the ordinary. Just for her to contact guest services. I noticed after the third time and commented to my bf that they were still calling for the same person.

As activities picked up on the lido deck the announcements became more frequent and people were getting annoyed. At this point we had no idea what was going on and every time the music stopped and we heard the ding people would holler her name and stuff like wake up! But a they came on every few minutes people began to quiet down and listen and wonder what was going on.

Then I started to notice crew members holding a photo and searching the crowd and some going every few feet looking over the deck. Shortly after the announcement came on for everyone to go to their room. This was around 3pm I would say.

Everyone moved quickly and cooperated. As we were in the rooms they kept giving updates and our steward came in and looked under beds and in closets etc.they announced they determined she was not on the boat and they alerted proper authorities and we would continue as planned but to please keep her in our thoughts.

An hour or so later they told us they had seen the footage that showed her going overboard and the coast guard was searching for her.

It was extremely sobering and very difficult to continue cruising like nothing had happened. The energy of the ship definitely changed as we carried on but it was on everyone's mind.

8./and so on and so on

In my opinion, carnival handled the event to the best of their ability. By the time her traveling companions realized she was missing they had no idea how long she had been missing but that she hadn't been seen in nearly 8.5 hours. At that point there was no reason to believe she was anywhere but on the boat. They began calling for her and searching for her quickly and without trying to alarm the other 3000 passengers. I am assuming they were reviewing the footage simultaneously considering how many cameras and hours of footage they would have to to through to find her. The media seems bothered by his long it took to alert the coast guard but why would those resources be activated until they could definitively prove she was not on the boat? It appeared a protocol was being followed as quickly and smoothly as possible.

The only truth known is that a woman went overboard early Friday morning and she has not been found. She leaves behind people that love her everything else is speculation.

Thanks for your report. So is it safe to say that the "blood stain" being shown on certain pages, could be totally unrelated to this incident? Deck 10 was open all night, morning, and afternoon up until the point they were able to review the tape and determine she went over somewhere on Deck 10, correct? My point being, that anyone could have fallen, gotten sick, or spilled a drink in the pic that is supposedly the site of the so called stabbing which is purely hearsay.

[...snip...]

You are describing the position rational observers have held since the beginning.

8./and so on and so on

Thank you for the report. Hopefully some details will be revealed to reassure people that a crime was not committed. (If it indeed weren't).

Thanks for your report. So is it safe to say that the "blood stain" being shown on certain pages, could be totally unrelated to this incident? Deck 10 was open all night, morning, and afternoon up until the point they were able to review the tape and determine she went over somewhere on Deck 10, correct? My point being, that anyone could have fallen, gotten sick, or spilled a drink in the pic that is supposedly the site of the so called stabbing which is purely hearsay.

Absolutely. When I heard the bloodstain/knife rumors I pointed out that the area was not roped off until after we all came back out of our rooms and that part of the deck above lido had been packed all day. I had spent the day literally right across from there on the exact other side of the ship. The drink special of the day was bright red. If there was evidence or blood someone would likely have noticed it prior to then.

And the knife could have easily been someone's lunch knife inadvertently thrown way. I have lost a few forks To my own garbage can that way. And the crews cleaned out the garbage cans constantly. No way was the garbage can at 5pm the same garbage as two am.

Edited by Txbirdie

Absolutely. When I heard the bloodstain/knife rumors I pointed out that the area was not roped off until after we all came back out of our rooms and that part of the deck above lido had been packed all day. I had spent the day literally right across from there on the exact other side of the ship. The drink special of the day was bright red. If there was evidence or blood someone would likely have noticed it prior to then.

And the knife could have easily been someone's lunch knife inadvertently thrown way. I have lost a few forks To my own garbage can that way. And the crews cleaned out the garbage cans constantly. No way was the garbage can at 5pm the same garbage as two am.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on those issues. Some people are so quick to make things up or believe rumors they hear. Sorry you had to experience this on your vacation.

How can people say it's "no accident".. there's no way of knowing what happened.. she may or may not have been intoxicated. She might have just wanted to go up on deck before going to her room to walk around when no one else was there, not the best decision, but we don't always make the wisest choices... might have tried taking a "selfie".. thought it would fun to send it to someone back home. We don't know... never will, but why are we so judgmental. She had a family, young children that will never see their mother again.. no closure. An incident that will effect the rest of their lives. We don't need to be assuming the worse.. she made a poor choice and paid the ultimate price.. God Bless her family...

Because anyone that has actually ever been on a cruise knows, you don't just fall off the ship accidentally! No way, ever!

My family, teenage daughter to be exact, has taken many selfies with her feet planted safely on the deck. She got some great shots, I must admit, without climbing on the rails. There are so many beautiful photo ops in and around the ship. No need to climb an extra 3 feet for the perfect picture.

This was no accident!

Edited by tonit964

I am still curious why there hasn't been news footage of the friends she was cruising with and who was her cabin mate that would not have noticed her not in bed at 2am. or she wasn't either.

Seems that more information can be gathered by asking her friends whom she was cruising with and would explain at what time they separated and find out what kind of mood she was in etc.. to get a sense of why this would happen.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on those issues. Some people are so quick to make things up or believe rumors they hear. Sorry you had to experience this on your vacation.

Thank you. Im a single mom who saved hard to take a vacation for the first time with my boyfriend of five years. The last thing that you would want to experience but I came home and kissed my babies and she didn't so I have no right to complain!

I am still curious why there hasn't been news footage of the friends she was cruising with and who was her cabin mate that would not have noticed her not in bed at 2am. or she wasn't either.

Seems that more information can be gathered by asking her friends whom she was cruising with and would explain at what time they separated and find out what kind of mood she was in etc.. to get a sense of why this would happen.

The only thing we were told about her traveling companions was that the authorities were meeting them in cozumel to transport them back to the states. I can only imagine the horror they are going through.

Maybe she had a cabin by herself. When I cruise I either go by myself or get my own cabin. If I'm traveling with friends/family, some days we meet up whenever and wherever. I don't feel the need to be up their rear ends all the time. I like to cruise to relax and chill.

I'm a light sleeper and someone coughing or getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom wakes me up and then I'm done. Wide awake and cranky. If I do have to have a roommate due to cost factors, etc I take an Ambien and then it's lights out. There are many different scenarios as to why they might not notice her missing.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Thank you. Im a single mom who saved hard to take a vacation for the first time with my boyfriend of five years. The last thing that you would want to experience but I came home and kissed my babies and she didn't so I have no right to complain!

Congrats on your well deserved vacation and may you have many more uneventful ones in the future!

Thank you for the report. Hopefully some details will be revealed to reassure people that a crime was not committed. (If it indeed weren't).

If the video shows her climbing up on the railing by herself, why do you still think there might be a possible crime?

Thank you for your report and being the voice of reason. Even still, there will probably be posts with the same rumors you dispelled and possibly even more rumors.

Hope you did manage to have a good time in spite of the events.

Because anyone that has actually ever been on a cruise knows, you don't just fall off the ship accidentally! No way, ever!

My family, teenage daughter to be exact, has taken many selfies with her feet planted safely on the deck. She got some great shots, I must admit, without climbing on the rails. There are so many beautiful photo ops in and around the ship. No need to climb an extra 3 feet for the perfect picture.

This was no accident!

My Goodness... such an authority..

I'm sure they have talked to all of those people over and over for hours. What confuses me is why you think what is said is any of your business and needs to be broadcast in the news . I actually praise the media for leaving those people alone thus far

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Edited by res2cue

If the video shows her climbing up on the railing by herself, why do you still think there might be a possible crime?

Thank you for your report and being the voice of reason. Even still, there will probably be posts with the same rumors you dispelled and possibly even more rumors.

Hope you did manage to have a good time in spite of the events.

I don't think a crime was committed. I think the only way that is possible now is if she was drugged. Just didn't want to pretend to know all the surrounding facts about what exactly happened thats all. We are only being told whats on the video. It hasn't been released as far as I know.

Edited by missholly24

Finally a first hand report- thank you! Half the posts on this are just pointless speculation.

I'd like to know more about the mood of the ship after this occurance. Very different I'm sure. Can't see most just carrying on as normal.

The railings aren't that high on deck 10 and if she wanted to get up there, a deck lounger would have worked just fine.

I was referring to live reports that crew were photographing equipment in the area from which she fell that looked to have been turned on its side/damaged. It is one of the very early posts in this thread, and I haven't gone back to quote it verbatim.

But regardless of what was used for leverage, the point remains. WHY would anyone (especially alone) make the effort to climb up to sit on a balcony rail at 2am? I understand how this happens when a group of people are together fooling around, egging each other on.

In my experience, people who go alone and purposely seek out dangerous locations like balcony rails, edges of cliffs, and bridges are flirting with that danger very intentionally. For whatever reason.

A family member of mine did commit suicide, and the insurance policy paid out very well - so well that she bought a new house, pool, new car and a new boyfriend.

Both children received SS benefits and will receive them until age 18. It worked out well for her financially, but not so well emotionally for the kids.:rolleyes:

My insurance policy covers for suicide after the policy is in affect for 2 years.

Bill

CNN and Fox both had an article about her husband. He is 45 and is a world renowned race horse trainer. He was out of town when the tragedy occurred and returned home to be with the children.

I just know that most life insurance policies won't pay if a death is ruled a suicide, whereas they will pay if the cause is accidental.

After 2 years, most policies will pay in case of a suicide.

My insurance policy covers for suicide after the policy is in affect for 2 years.

Bill

Agreed - that is pretty standard in life policies.

Edited by lizardhowson