Crown Princess - Laptop stolen during embarkation

fl.princess

My husband and I were on the Crown Princess for the Pacific Coastal cruise 4/30 – 5/6.

I preface the following by saying that this is a warning to others to think twice about putting anything valuable you would not want to lose in your luggage at embarkation. If you don’t want to lose an item, whatever it may be, don’t put it in your luggage.

Before embarkation at San Pedro, my husband decided to place his laptop in his luggage instead of lugging it around in his backpack for a few hours. I asked him not to, but he simply didn’t want to carry it (it is heavy) and figured it would be fine in our luggage. Well, when our luggage was delivered to our cabin, the laptop was not in his luggage and was apparently stolen somewhere along the way to our cabin. The power cord was still in our luggage though. Thankfully, we did not store any personal data on this laptop and we quickly changed all passwords in the event an email or anything was not logged out on the laptop. We reported the missing laptop the same day at the customer service desk and was questioned as to when we last saw the laptop. They simply wanted to verify that we did not lose it anywhere else. My husband filled out a report and they said they would start the process. They gave us a number to call when we return home.

We contacted Princess when we returned home and was informed that Princess is not liable for any electronics lost or stolen as stated in the Passage Contract and they deny any responsibility. They stated that the actual loading on and off the ship is handled by stevedore personnel who are not Princess employees, and therefore, not under the control or supervision of Princess.

We did purchase the Princess Vacation Protection (Platinum) and Princess stated that we will have to file through them. However, they require us to file a claim through our homeowner’s insurance first as the Princess Vacation Protection is secondary on baggage claims.

We don’t plan on filing this through our homeowner’s (I believe our deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop), so most likely we will be at a loss in the end.

Has anyone else filed a claim through the Princess Vacation Protection for a stolen item with any success in reimbursement?

Yes. A few years ago we had our carry-on bags stolen from our rental car on our way to the ship. We had Princess Platinum insurance as well. We filed a police report before we got on the ship, and upon our return we filed a claim with Princess travel insurance. We also had to start a claim with our homeowners as there was some question about coverage due to a theft from a vehicle in route to the ship, but this wasn't necessary in the end. The travel insurance through Princess covered our losses, including a camera, without question.

The insurance carrier was Berkely and they were very easy to deal with. Anything we purchased and had a receipt for was covered fully. Any items that we didn't have receipts for was covered at a reduced percentage.

Yes, you should file the claim with your homeowner's insurance. When they deny or only partially pay the claim based on your deductible, you use that documentation with the Princess Insurance folks. They will cover the rest.

This is the case with medical claims as well. Medical coverage with Princess is secondary and you always have to first file with your primary insurance. We have a high deductible plan and even though we know our claim won't be covered, Princess Insurance has to have the evidence so they will pay.

It does work.

That is a terrible story and I'm sorry you had to experience that. I thought the cruise lines all x-ray the bags looking for contraband before delivering it to the staterooms. Am I incorrect? Because that would mean Princess sure does have access to your bags as well as opening them and they are not off the hook, in fact it's much more likely a Princess employee would have the change to take your computer, those port workers don't seem like they'd have adequate time or opportunity to start opening suitcases and rifling through them. But that is just how I'm picturing it in my mind, not based on any real knowledge of how this works.

I have often been tempted to through my iPad in my suitcase so I don't have to carry it around. Glad I read your post.

We hesitate to file the claim with our homeowner's insurance fearing they will drop us when we file a claim. This has been known to happen with our company and we do not want to be dropped over a claim they most likely aren't going to pay due to our deductible. In this case, I don't know if the insurance through Princess will help us.

My husband and I were on the Crown Princess for the Pacific Coastal cruise 4/30 – 5/6.

I preface the following by saying that this is a warning to others to think twice about putting anything valuable you would not want to lose in your luggage at embarkation. If you don’t want to lose an item, whatever it may be, don’t put it in your luggage.

Before embarkation at San Pedro, my husband decided to place his laptop in his luggage instead of lugging it around in his backpack for a few hours. I asked him not to, but he simply didn’t want to carry it (it is heavy) and figured it would be fine in our luggage. Well, when our luggage was delivered to our cabin, the laptop was not in his luggage and was apparently stolen somewhere along the way to our cabin. The power cord was still in our luggage though. Thankfully, we did not store any personal data on this laptop and we quickly changed all passwords in the event an email or anything was not logged out on the laptop. We reported the missing laptop the same day at the customer service desk and was questioned as to when we last saw the laptop. They simply wanted to verify that we did not lose it anywhere else. My husband filled out a report and they said they would start the process. They gave us a number to call when we return home.

We contacted Princess when we returned home and was informed that Princess is not liable for any electronics lost or stolen as stated in the Passage Contract and they deny any responsibility. They stated that the actual loading on and off the ship is handled by stevedore personnel who are not Princess employees, and therefore, not under the control or supervision of Princess.

We did purchase the Princess Vacation Protection (Platinum) and Princess stated that we will have to file through them. However, they require us to file a claim through our homeowner’s insurance first as the Princess Vacation Protection is secondary on baggage claims.

We don’t plan on filing this through our homeowner’s (I believe our deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop), so most likely we will be at a loss in the end.

Has anyone else filed a claim through the Princess Vacation Protection for a stolen item with any success in reimbursement?

IF your deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop with your homeowners insurance DO NOT file a claim with your homeowners insurance. You don't want your premiums to increase due to a claim that they are not going to pay on. All you need to do IF your deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop is provide a copy to Princess Vacation Protection insurance of your declarations page from your homeowners policy showing the higher deductible and then the Princess insurance will pay. When you call to initiate the claim with Princess Vacation Protection insurance be sure to tell them your deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop. If the laptop is higher in cost than your deductible then you would have to file with your homeowners first. Good luck.

We hesitate to file the claim with our homeowner's insurance fearing they will drop us when we file a claim. This has been known to happen with our company and we do not want to be dropped over a claim they most likely aren't going to pay due to our deductible. In this case, I don't know if the insurance through Princess will help us.

It might be OK if you simply show Princess the declarations page of your primary policy which should show the deductible.

Then it is time to start shopping for another homeowner's insurance company.

When you drop off your bags there's plenty of people handling it, but I would suspect that the staff by the X-Rays would be most likely the culprits. Thanks to paranoia, laptops are always given extra attention in security screenings (think about the TSA!) and they would have no issues on the basis of security to open your bags and rummage through, and take a laptop because you'll be long gone before they are found out. The porters and such on the ship are probably less likely to have knowledge of such a high value item, not to mention there's tons of people everywhere, and they know their room can be checked at any time.

My money is on the staff at the port.

And maybe you should look for another homeowners insurance if they have a habit of dropping people for actually filing a claim.

That is a terrible story and I'm sorry you had to experience that. I thought the cruise lines all x-ray the bags looking for contraband before delivering it to the staterooms. Am I incorrect? Because that would mean Princess sure does have access to your bags as well as opening them and they are not off the hook, in fact it's much more likely a Princess employee would have the change to take your computer, those port workers don't seem like they'd have adequate time or opportunity to start opening suitcases and rifling through them. But that is just how I'm picturing it in my mind, not based on any real knowledge of how this works.

I have often been tempted to through my iPad in my suitcase so I don't have to carry it around. Glad I read your post.

Baggage security at embarkation is done by the stevedores and security personnel who are employed by the port authority, not the cruise line, and before it is placed on the ship. Cruise line employees are the ones who scan the carry-on bags.

There are no "porters" on the ship, the folks that handle baggage once the carts are placed onboard are typically bar and wait staff, whose primary job is not needed on turn-around day.

All luggage handling on the pier side is done by the stevedores. That includes sending them through the xray machine. No Princess personal even touch a bag until after it has been loaded onto the ship. You would have hoped that they would be so busy they wouldn't have the time to take something from someone's baggage. Sorry that happened, but hope the rest of your cruise was good.

Baggage security at embarkation is done by the stevedores and security personnel who are employed by the port authority, not the cruise line, and before it is placed on the ship. Cruise line employees are the ones who scan the carry-on bags.

There are no "porters" on the ship, the folks that handle baggage once the carts are placed onboard are typically bar and wait staff, whose primary job is not needed on turn-around day.

Just curious then how the ship's personnel find the booze in checked bags that they then invite you to the "naughty room" to answer for?

Edited by ar1950

Just curious then how the ship's personnel find the booze in checked bags that they then invite you to the "naughty room" to answer for?

The ship's personnel don't find the booze. THe security people doing the x-rays find it and report it to the ship.

You CAN lock your luggage after you pick it up at the airport and before you hand it over at the port. Most of us don't lock luggage any more since we can't do it at the airports. If the security people feel there is an issue, you'll be called down to unlock it and have it inspected in the "naughty room" rather than not allowed on the ship. Luggage locks won't prevent theft, but they can deter it.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I would never have packed my laptop in a suitcase however, simply because it could be easily damaged.

In the future- I will take only small bags that will fit through the carry on machine inside the terminal. I did that on my last trip simply because I'm tired of looking for my bags in the hall sometimes until 8pm and I've seen how they treat the luggage. Reminds me of those gorilla commercials from the 1970's for luggage.

This isn't quite the same, but similar in how it is handled...

Our luggage went into the harbor when the big cage they put the luggage in fell/slipped.

When I contacted the travel insurance after we got home, I was told to contact the insurance for the port authority and our homeowner's insurance first, then send the claim to Princess travel insurance.

I contacted the port authority (don't remember who gave me the contact info, but pretty sure it was someone at Princess), they paid a little of what was owed. Didn't bother with our homeowner's, but went straight to Princess insurance. The only $$ we were out was the deductible.

It took a while and LOTS of documentation, but we recovered about 90% of our claim.

Wow, I am sorry that happened to you!!!

It is really bad that the TSA, working with the airlines, who are responsible for protecting us, STEAL from us.

Here is another heads up about locking luggage.

We have a new suitcase, and it came with the lock that will secure the bag, that TSA is supposed to be able to unlock, and then put the lock back on.

Our first trip was to Cancun.

Practically 'America', right...

One would think that our TSA would be working with the agents at the Cancun airport, since there are like millions of Americans flying down there for vacation every year. My husband put the little lock on our baggage when we left home. I suppose he should have thought that thru. And when we picked it up, the lock had been CUT OFF. Our luggage had obviously been seriously rifled thru in a huge way. What was neatly organized and packed was now one big mess. So much for our TSA friendly lock!

Anyhow, I felt very lucky, given that once, if not twice, here and in Mexico.. people had seriously rifled thru our luggage, that everything did seem to still be there.

My husband is HUGE about this kind of thing...

When we leave for our Alaska cruise, I know he will be very vigilant with anything of value.

PS: Also interesting... I traveled in nothing but some thin knit capri pants and a thin Underarmor tank top.. Not even one pocket... Nothing... placed my zip up hoodie in the bin on the conveyer. The lovely machine STILL flagged me.... when there was clearly nothing there. Even flagged between my legs... So, I nearly got strip searched.... :mad:

I think it is easier for illegal aliens and criminals and terrorists to get into the country than it is for me to come home from a weekend in Cancun. Seriously ridiculous.

Edited by Wishing on a star

IF your deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop with your homeowners insurance DO NOT file a claim with your homeowners insurance. You don't want your premiums to increase due to a claim that they are not going to pay on. All you need to do IF your deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop is provide a copy to Princess Vacation Protection insurance of your declarations page from your homeowners policy showing the higher deductible and then the Princess insurance will pay. When you call to initiate the claim with Princess Vacation Protection insurance be sure to tell them your deductible is higher than the cost of the laptop. If the laptop is higher in cost than your deductible then you would have to file with your homeowners first. Good luck.

Thank you. We will do that. The deductible is definitely higher than the cost of the laptop.

Yes. A few years ago we had our carry-on bags stolen from our rental car on our way to the ship. We had Princess Platinum insurance as well. We filed a police report before we got on the ship, and upon our return we filed a claim with Princess travel insurance. We also had to start a claim with our homeowners as there was some question about coverage due to a theft from a vehicle in route to the ship, but this wasn't necessary in the end. The travel insurance through Princess covered our losses, including a camera, without question.

The insurance carrier was Berkely and they were very easy to deal with. Anything we purchased and had a receipt for was covered fully. Any items that we didn't have receipts for was covered at a reduced percentage.

It must not be Berkely anymore. It now says Aon Affinity.

On the claim form FAQ, it states the plan is secondary to any other valid or collectable insurance or indemnity and it is necessary to submit to them the final response from the primary/secondary carrier or the party responsible for the loss to allow them to determine the covered amount reimbursable under the plan.

Hi

When my luggage was stolon, Princess accepted liability and paid in full value

of all items, we were insured but did not make a claim.

yours Shogun

I believe it's only electronics that Princess claims they are not responsible for...laptops, cameras, phones, etc. Did you have any of those items on your claim?

My meds, my electronics, my good watch, etc. go with ME - never in checked baggage. There have been sooooooooooo many stories of TSA employees, baggage handlers, etc. stealing items from luggage. I'm sorry for your loss but your husband really should have listened to you and also really should have known better.

Hopefully you have homeowner's insurance or other insurance (perhaps through the credit card you used to book the cruise?) that will cover your loss. What a hassle and what a terrible feeling to have someone steal from you.

I know it sounds terrible but, if there was a button I could push that would vaporize all of the people who do things of this sort I would be very tempted to push it.

PS: Also interesting... I traveled in nothing but some thin knit capri pants and a thin Underarmor tank top.. Not even one pocket... Nothing... placed my zip up hoodie in the bin on the conveyer. The lovely machine STILL flagged me.... when there was clearly nothing there. Even flagged between my legs... So, I nearly got strip searched.... :mad:

Every time I through security I get stopped and the "wand" comes out for my right knee. I have never had knee surgery....there ain't anything in there!! go figure!

Edited by Murphey