Not sure why I am nervous

Dragonfly0705

We leave for Alaska 2 weeks from Wednesday and while I am very excited I am also incredibly nervous about this trip for a few reasons:

1.) This is the first major trip we have taken with our 5 year old son. We have done rood trips with him, and he has been on an airplane before, but this trip just feels more substantial and I am worried about how he will do with everything. (Not to mention that he has special needs and requires a pureed diet which is its own set of challenges)

2.) I don't feel like I have the "gear" I need. I don't have a whole lot of specialized hiking or outdoors gear and worry that I am going to have the things that I need to be comfortable and have a good trip. What things do you consider absolutely necessary?

3.) I have inherited my mom's Nikon D3200 but I only have an 18-55mm lens and the photography board has me convinced that I am not going to get any good pictures because I don't have a bigger lens. Has anyone done an Alaska trip with only the 18-55 lens? How did your pictures turn out?

4.) This is our first cruise experience so I am not sure what to expect. I have gotten sea sick on small boats in very choppy conditions but generally in normal conditions I am ok. Not sure if I should do a scopolamine patch or just see how it goes and try green apples and ginger if I have a problem.

I guess this isn't really a post with a specific question, I just needed to put my concerns in writing. If anyone has any words of advice or encouragement I certainly welcome them.

Thanks!

Edited by Dragonfly0705

I've done a bunch of cruises, and still get nervous/excited before every one. Plus it's the curse of the MOM to have to worry about everything! :) Relax- cruising is actually very easy, fun, and more flexible than a lot of other trips. You'll be fine. The wonderful thing about Alaska cruising is you can just enjoy BEING in Alaska- there's lot to experience and see even right from the ship (compared to other cruises where it's mostly open water views). Don't worry about the camera- maybe you'll get great photos, maybe you won't. That's not going to make or ruin the experience. Special needs dining is in some ways easier on a ship than in many restaurants. Be prepared to be as flexible and relaxed as you can, and try to convince yourself that there's no such thing as a BAD vacation!!!

EDIT- I just realized I'm assuming you're the MOM- my apologies! The same holds true for DADs of course!!

Edited by rjm11

If you can swing it in your budget, see if you can find a place that you can rent a lens. That will keep you from having to make a purchase, but still allow you to use one. If you can get one that goes 70-300 or so (not sure what's available for Nikon, have a Canon myself) you should be ok. That's what my husband and I will be taking.

2. Gear. We've done 9 (or is it 10?) cruises to Alaska now. The only things we consider must-haves specific to Alaska are windbreakers/hooded jackets and sturdy walking shoes. It may be rainy, it may be sunny, it may be cold, it may be warm. We've gotten sunburned in May and muddy in August.

3. Camera. I've taken my expensive digital camera with zoom lenses and gotten some great pictures but on some trips I take my small digital camera and have been just as satisfied.

4. Some trips have rough waters (our first cruise to Alaska) and some trips have smooth waters (the Alaskan cruise I am on right now). If you have a patch around, bring it just in case. But if it involves going to the dr and getting the prescription it might not be worth your time or money. It would be overkill on a smooth sailing.

My best advice would be to spend your time making memories with your family instead of worrying about if you're doing it "right". Things will go right on most days and things will go wrong on some days. Every experience - good or bad - will give you a story to tell.

We leave for Alaska 2 weeks from Wednesday and while I am very excited I am also incredibly nervous about this trip for a few reasons:

1.) This is the first major trip we have taken with our 5 year old son. We have done rood trips with him, and he has been on an airplane before, but this trip just feels more substantial and I am worried about how he will do with everything. (Not to mention that he has special needs and requires a pureed diet which is its own set of challenges)

2.) I don't feel like I have the "gear" I need. I don't have a whole lot of specialized hiking or outdoors gear and worry that I am going to have the things that I need to be comfortable and have a good trip. What things do you consider absolutely necessary?

3.) I have inherited my mom's Nikon D3200 but I only have an 18-55mm lens and the photography board has me convinced that I am not going to get any good pictures because I don't have a bigger lens. Has anyone done an Alaska trip with only the 18-55 lens? How did your pictures turn out?

4.) This is our first cruise experience so I am not sure what to expect. I have gotten sea sick on small boats in very choppy conditions but generally in normal conditions I am ok. Not sure if I should do a scopolamine patch or just see how it goes and try green apples and ginger if I have a problem.

I guess this isn't really a post with a specific question, I just needed to put my concerns in writing. If anyone has any words of advice or encouragement I certainly welcome them.

Thanks!

1. Bring some things that he is familiar with, to give him a sense of security. JMHO of course. And realize that he's going to be tired, maybe bored, maybe cranky, and have some plans for those times ;)

2. For me the absolute necessity is a waterproof jacket with a hood. With. A. Hood.

3. Like the poster upthread, I have taken great pics (the kind that people want to use as their desktop image) with my little $80 point and shoot digital. You may be over thinking the camera thing. But then again, I use an $80 point and shoot digital, so I may not be the one to get advice from :D

4. I avoid all unnecessary meds so I don't take prescription or OTC meds for seasickness. You'll probably be okay, but you may need to take something at some point. The ships I've been on have some sort of meds at the front desk when the seas get rough. Those are (as far as I know) complimentary.

Of course you're nervous. This is a BIG DEAL. A WONDERFUL big deal :) Enjoy your time in Alaska, with your son.

There are 2 companies on the internet that rent lens that I will be using for my Alaskan Cruise. borrowlens dot com and lensrentals dot com just make sure you get the insurance in case anything happens to the lens.

Have a fantastic trip I have to wait until July.

After our 2010 Alaska cruise, I made sure to pick up a basic pair of hiking boots - something I could use around the house for yard work, and other times that I'm out in questionable weather or surfaces, but nothing extravagant. I've also picked up "glove liners", thin gloves to normally go under real gloves, but great for photography.

I would ABSOLUTELY rent a longer lens, perhaps a 70-300 or similar. Check out http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/nikon/lenses/telephoto for possibilities - I've rented from them for every Alaska cruise we've done plus many more, and they are all about great service. I cannot imagine going to Alaska with just an 18-55, though admittedly I'm not your normal photographer. I usually go outdoors with three cameras and 3-4 lenses, from 16-35 to a 600 with a 1.4x multiplier on it, turning a 600 into an 840.

Cruise ships are generally quite stable; it takes a lot to disturb 100,000 tons. Crosswinds may cause a bit of side-to-side rolling, and gusts may cause a light shudder, but the ship will be far more stable than small boats. However, if it makes sense to do a patch, do a patch!

OP - Are you just cruising or taking a cruise tour? Honesty, unless you are doing some kind of specialized excursion, you won't need a lot of extra gear. Just make sure you are prepared for rain and have sturdy shoes if you plan on hiking.

Back in the days of film photography, I took my SLR with multiple lenses. Now I travel lighter and don't drive myself crazy trying to capture the perfect shot. My photos are for personal memories, not to hang on the wall and I have become much more casual about photos. On one trip to the Caribbean I only used my iPhone.

I've never had a rough ride on an Alaskan cruise, but I don't get seasick either, so if you think you might, then the patch is probably a good idea. You might want it if you are planning to go see the whales or take any king of flight excursions.

Don't drive yourself nuts and don't overpack. Alaska is very casual, so you may not need as much as you think. Just remember to layer and have fun.

Edited by mek

Thanks!

2.) The only specialized gear you need is layers. Don't take heavy coats, take a lot of thin layers. You don't need boots, or any special hiking gear. You will spend 95% of your time in towns and cities.

3.) Ignore the comments on the photo board. The people who are feeding you the information are very experienced photographers, almost to the point of being professionals. You will be fine with the lens you have. You won't be able to zoom in on that animal in the distance, but you will get a lot of nice photos.

4.) I recommend Bonine, It is OTC and has few if any side effects.

Hello Fellow Midwesterner! I am from Lincoln. I like to tell my friends here that Alaska is like the Midwest in May - expect anything. I have gotten sunburned in May and gotten cold on my July cruises. After saying that, I have never brought hiking boots and I have probably done a dozen Alaskan cruises. I wear athletic shoes the entire time. I usually bring a fleece jacket and a rain jacket with a hood. I also bring sweatshirts. Dress casually in ports. I wear jeans and a sweatshirt. I carry a backpack with a jacket and camera accessories.

I don't think I have bought any specific "gear" for Alaska. If you are not familiar with your inherited camera, bring a point and click for those adorable son pictures.

I don't know what cruise line you are on but not all lines hand out free meds. I would go prepared.

You are going to have an amazing trip with your son. One that you will remember always.

Please report back on your trip when you return.

Edited by Coral

Since people react to remedies slightly differently, I take a couple of things along with me. Bonine seems to be the best OTC that I have found. What helps me the most are the "sea bands". They are wristbands with a plastic nob to place on a pressure point on your wrist. Those work great for me without feeling drowsy like an OTC med does.

If you'd like to get a sense of what your 18-55 will do versus other lenses, take a look at a series I shot last April aboard the Ruby Princess. I went up to deck 19 aft, port side, and "set up shop" by the jogging trail, looking forward to the bridge. I shot most of the lenses we took (a mix of "mine" and "hers") at their widest and tightest zoom positions, or in the case of the last two shots, the lens by itself (the 600mm doesn't zoom) and with a 1.4x "teleconverter" that converts it to an 840mm.

Start here and arrow to the right: Alaska Sampler-286 (apologies for the ads Flickr now tosses in...) Consider your 18-55 to be equivalent to a 27-80 if it were on our cameras.

I understand the nervousness, I felt the same way before we started our trip. We just got back from our first cruise to Alaska and it was even more amazing than I thought it would be! You quickly settle in to life on the ship and it becomes your home away from home.

1.) Relax! You and your son will have a great time. There are less children on an Alaskan cruise (there were 75 out of 2,200 on our ship, according to the cruise director), but I found this to mean that the few that are there get more special attention from the crew. Also, I have been on cruises before but had forgotten how wonderful and accommodating the crew can be as soon as you step on board. Maybe we had exceptionally good staff on our ship (Norwegian Pearl), but I genuinely felt that they wanted us all to have the best vacation possible! Bring up any concerns you have and they will help you take care of them.

2.) You will spend more of your time hiking/walking in cities and towns than you think. Even the hikes we took outside of town were on very well established trails where sneakers would have been adequate. After all, cruisers are arriving every week and walking those same trails. For being on land, I found that a comfortable pair of shoes (any kind), a sweatshirt/hoodie, and light rain jacket (just in case, though I never had to use mine) were enough. I typically wore jeans, and on days with a colder forecast I wore a pair of long underwear underneath them and a thicker sweatshirt/coat.

On the ship, if you plan to spend any time on the outer decks (and who wouldn't, the scenery is amazing!), you will be surprised by how windy it can get! We had a couple of days of unusual sunshine and calm, but most of the time at sea it was very windy and cold. Just the movement of the ship forward creates a strong breeze that carries around the front and sides of the ship. I had my hair pulled back, wore an extra coat, and had on ear muffs or a warm hat when I was on deck. The back of the ship is the safest from the wind and I spent a lot of time there on the promenade deck.

Other things I found essential:

1. Sunscreen! Even on cold days, the sun will radiate off the water and snow like you wouldn't believe.

2. A water bottle to carry around on land. I filled it up on the ship every morning and used it as we walked all around the ports.

3. At least two hats, one for sun protection and one for warmth. I found mornings in Alaska to be very chilly and I would always start out with my warm hat (especially to cover my ears), but by the afternoon I was using my sun hat.

4. A backpack/large bag for hauling around your stuff either on land or ship. As you can probably tell by now, you may be adding/taking off layers throughout the day. I was often taking off a sweatshirt and putting it in the backpack, or suddenly needing a hat, etc.

3.) My husband is really into photography and brought 3 lenses, in a variety of sizes. He actually ended up using the 100-400mm quite a bit, but he is all about wildlife, so he was determined to get those far away shots of mountain goats and whales. I just used my Samsung Galaxy S6 for scenery shots, and I was very pleased with how they came out.

4.) This was my husband's first cruise, so we were also nervous about possible sea sickness. I went out and bought sea bands from our local CVS, as well as some ginger chews. We ended up not needing them at all, but having them provided some peace of mind. The motion was very gentle, not even noticeable a lot of the time. Sometimes the only way I could tell we were swaying was by seeing the horizon move up and down from a window. When we were in a room with no outside view (like the theater for shows) I could have sworn we weren't even moving. But even so, next time I will still be prepared just in case!

1.) Relax! You and your son will have a great time. There are less children on an Alaskan cruise (there were 75 out of 2,200 on our ship, according to the cruise director)

This is only because you went so early in the season. We had nearly 500 kids on one of our cruises at the end of July. There should be more kids on board by the time the OP sails in early June, but probably not as many as in July, since some schools don't get out until mid-June.

This is only because you went so early in the season. We had nearly 500 kids on one of our cruises at the end of July. There should be more kids on board by the time the OP sails in early June, but probably not as many as in July, since some schools don't get out until mid-June.

You guys in WA seem to get out late. Our last day for K12 is this week where I live (midwest).

I agree. Once mid-June hits, there are a ton of kids on Alaska cruises. Especially the RT out of Seattle and Vancouver.

You guys in WA seem to get out late. Our last day for K12 is this week where I live (midwest).

I agree. Once mid-June hits, there are a ton of kids on Alaska cruises. Especially the RT out of Seattle and Vancouver.

Nah, the midwest just gets out really early! ;)

I grew up in CA where we went to school early September to mid June. We do the same here in WA. It works here since summer really doesn't start until after 4th of July. Going back to school in August would waste half of our short summer.

4. A backpack/large bag for hauling around your stuff either on land or ship. As you can probably tell by now, you may be adding/taking off layers throughout the day. I was often taking off a sweatshirt and putting it in the backpack, or suddenly needing a hat, etc.

!

I take a backpack(carry on) on all of our cruises. They are great for carrying stuff when in port.

My thoughts on the camera..... you are traveling with a child, don't sweat the small stuff. You will honestly be taking so many photos of him and his reactions to everything that the idea of stopping and switching back and forth lenses will be a hassle and distraction. Take the camera, have fun.... period.

I agree with the poster who said to ignore the photo groups advice, OK so you wont be able to get a close up of that whale swimming 5 miles from the ship but your lens will be just fine and there will be many opportunities to photo wildlife and other things pretty close to the ship and/or in other areas ashore.

I agree with the poster who said to ignore the photo groups advice, OK so you wont be able to get a close up of that whale swimming 5 miles from the ship but your lens will be just fine and there will be many opportunities to photo wildlife and other things pretty close to the ship and/or in other areas ashore.

I find that in situations like that (whale miles away) I'm not going to get a good photo anyway, so better to grab my binoculars and enjoy watching it. If I spend too much time fiddling with my camera, I miss the whole thing. Enjoy the experience and don't stress so much about the photos.

The best pictures from our Alaska cruise were from my daughter's iphone.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/21425406946/in/album-72157656206307318/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/22633707856/in/album-72157656206307318/

My favorite pictures were the quick snaps of my wife and kids on our balcony.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/22038509633/in/album-72157656206307318/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/22646517432/in/album-72157656206307318/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/quercus_alba/22038514083/in/album-72157656206307318/

Alaska is certainly a paradise for wildlife photographers...but if you're not already proficient, just try to relax and make memories!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Have purchased SeaBands so those will hopefully take care of the motion sickness. I am going to not stress over the camera, will take the Nikon and the iPhones and have a good time!