lost drivers license - sail next week

That has not been our experience.

Mine neither. In 6 cruises now in all ports listed as you MUST have a picture ID, I have yet to asked for one anywhere. I always take it but have never been asked for it. Not even in Nassau where someone said the other day that you absolutely have to have it. Lol

Mine neither. In 6 cruises now in all ports listed as you MUST have a picture ID, I have yet to asked for one anywhere. I always take it but have never been asked for it. Not even in Nassau where someone said the other day that you absolutely have to have it. Lol

Same here, but in March we sailed with Celebrity and at the Key West stop, they were insisting on photo ID before reboarding. We had ours, but witnessed a few who didn't. Better to be safe than sorry.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I managed to lose my Seapass while in port on one cruise. It caused a bit of a delay in boarding...

Oh my gosh, my husband too! On our last cruise to St. Lucia, we left it to the last possible minute (we have family there, so visiting with them and then buying beers and t-shirts at the port caused our stalling!....). He could not find his Sea Pass card to save his life! Panic, oh the panic! :p But he had left it in one of the shops and someone turned it in. The Guest Services Manager was on the gangway herself to sort it all out. She remembered his name for the rest of the cruise. :D:D:D

It's like the requirement to carry your drivers license whenever you drive. Even if you seldom have to show it to authorities, you still have to carry it.

It's like the requirement to carry your drivers license whenever you drive. Even if you seldom have to show it to authorities, you still have to carry it.

Agree!

We have always been asked for photo ID in Nassau! In Cozumel about 90% of the time it has been asked for.

It does not matter if someone has the experience of not having to show it if they can ask for it at any time. These checks are done by local authorities based on their national requirements.

OP, glad it worked out for you!!! Bon Voyage.

Edited by Scotty G

Just an FYI. Some states are definitely different on the way they issue IDs. I'm from Ohio where they issue driver licenses and state IDs immediately so I never worried much before traveling and only got a passport once I had an international trip planned. However, I moved to Missouri a couple of years ago and was shocked to find out they only issue temporary paper licenses and your plastic one gets mailed out like 10 days or so later. Who does that, right?! Fortunately, my passport is still valid for a few more years but I would never consider not having one now. Living in a state that does paper, it sure feels like a gamble to me to not have some other form of photo ID when you have a trip planned. I could see authorities from another state or RCI or customs giving someone a big hard time if trying to use that piece of paper. Just another reason to have a passport I guess.

Just an FYI. Some states are definitely different on the way they issue IDs. I'm from Ohio where they issue driver licenses and state IDs immediately so I never worried much before traveling and only got a passport once I had an international trip planned. However, I moved to Missouri a couple of years ago and was shocked to find out they only issue temporary paper licenses and your plastic one gets mailed out like 10 days or so later. Who does that, right?! Fortunately, my passport is still valid for a few more years but I would never consider not having one now. Living in a state that does paper, it sure feels like a gamble to me to not have some other form of photo ID when you have a trip planned. I could see authorities from another state or RCI or customs giving someone a big hard time if trying to use that piece of paper. Just another reason to have a passport I guess.

You do realize that all of the cruises you have listed were international trips?

There are so-o-o many threads on CC dealing with documents, and I'm sure that 90% would disappear if people would start realizing that Caribbean cruises are every bit as much international travel as land-based holidays in Europe. The entry/departure requirements may be relaxed for cruise passengers, but they are still foreign countries.

St. Thomas port security requires you to have photo ID to match to your seapass card to get back in the port area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I had no issue in St. Thomas re-boarding. I didn't bring my ID and only had my sea pass

That has not been our experience.

It was for us the last two times there including last December. I have also been asked for photo id in Nassau. Maybe it depends on who is working the gate. In Nassau I did not have a picture id with me but my DW had hers. The security guard asked me why I didn't have a photo id to which I replied I have never been asked for it until now. He let me in and had he not my DW would have had to go to our cabin and get mine while I waited. I now carry a passport card off the ship and leave my passport booklet in the safe in the cabin.

Edited by K1200S

The paper DL is because of the new federal regulations, all states will be going that way soon. Illinois will be the same as Missouri next year I believe. You should have the Enhanced DL, those are the ones they recommend to fly with now

I have been asked for photo ID at more than one port. Not consistently--but glad I had it. Also, a crew member once explained that photo ID will be requested if the computer system were to go down.

I'm glad he found his wallet. He shouldn't have a problem bin Mexico. He doesn't need an Enhanced DL, but double check with Royal. Just be sure you have a certified copy (not one you made) of his birth certificate at check in with the DL. It would be a good idea to keep the family together on shore anyway. His Seapass and DL should work to get off and on the ship in ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just found his wallet!

Woo! So glad for him.

You need an expedited passport. Hopefully you have remained in control of his original birth certificate. You can definitely get it if you appear in person, with all of the documentation, asap. Best of luck, and have a great trip!

From what I recall, you do need a photo ID to apply for a passport.

And why would an adult's mother need to have kept control of the birth cert? And why would she need the, specifically, original copy? By the time I was 19 I had my BC and I was on my second certified copy b/c the first had disintegrated. There's no need for an "original". Even the originally received BC is simply the first certified copy you received.

Next step- dock any allowance he may receive until such time as he has completed and submitted everything necessary for obtaining a passport.

He's 19. Allowance?

However, I moved to Missouri a couple of years ago and was shocked to find out they only issue temporary paper licenses and your plastic one gets mailed out like 10 days or so later. Who does that, right?!

Many states. WA included. You get a copy of *the driver's license* they will be sending, with some extra info on it showing that it's not just something you made.

The paper DL is because of the new federal regulations, all states will be going that way soon. Illinois will be the same as Missouri next year I believe. You should have the Enhanced DL, those are the ones they recommend to fly with now

Odd reasoning. WA isn't compliant with DLs, but we don't get our DLs immediately; we get a paper.

Just be sure you have a certified copy (not one you made) of his birth certificate at check in with the DL.

FWIW...https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

"U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate"

If they required a certified copy they would say it. They don't. And PLENTY of people have used photocopies and were able to board.

I'm not interested in trying it; we have passports. But I do like being exact with the actual info, and if CBP isn't using "certified copy" I see no need for us to be stricter than they are.

Kind of wondering. They want a Government issued photo id. Wonder if a library card or school id would work (especially for a teen traveling with family). Won't work for flying, but with birth certificate might work for a cruise. Only places we have recently been carded were Cozumel and Grenada.

Kind of wondering. They want a Government issued photo id. Wonder if a library card or school id would work (especially for a teen traveling with family). Won't work for flying, but with birth certificate might work for a cruise. Only places we have recently been carded were Cozumel and Grenada.

If a person is 16 or over, and they are using a birth certificate for identification, they cannot get on the ship without also having a government issued photo ID.