Dinner buffet

tori0417

I've never been to the dinner buffet, however we are entertaining trying it this cruise after a long day in port. Can anyone let me know what kind of food is served? Is it on par with the MDR in terms of quality? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On Solstice Class ships (perhaps on all C ships, but I can only speak to Solstice Class) there is also a grill to order station with pork, chicken, fish and steak. Some nights have a theme like Caribbean or German... And keep in mind you can also go to Cafe al Bacio for dessert! Sometimes the buffet is the best option at the end of a long day!

I really enjoyed dinner in the buffet on Solstice. Spent 2 weeks in the MDR for the evening meal and was more than ready to try something different.

Every night they had a different theme with various dishes offered. They had a stir fry station. They had the grill where you could choose your meat or fish and have it cooked to order. Pizza and pasta. Salads. Sushi. Children's section. Many desserts, cheeses. One night I enjoyed the tandoori chicken with dahl and rice so much I wrote a thank you letter.

Some pics.

DSCN8498.jpg

DSCN8499.jpg

DSCN9122.jpg

DSCN9123.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Wow! The cook to order meat and fish looks great! I'm hoping they have that on the summit. I just found out that early seating was moved to 530 and depending on what we do in port, that might be cutting it a little close.

We enjoy the buffet at dinner.On some nights,it was better than the MDR.Not to mention you can just wear your shorts and t shirts. It's not crowded and you can eat your meal outside.On our last 2 week Eclipse cruise,we did it 3 times. One time,they had steel drum music and really tasty Caribbean themed food.

We enjoy the buffet at dinner.On some nights,it was better than the MDR.Not to mention you can just wear your shorts and t shirts. It's not crowded and you can eat your meal outside.On our last 2 week Eclipse cruise,we did it 3 times. One time,they had steel drum music and really tasty Caribbean themed food.

What amused me on Solstice was that some people would dine in the buffet in formal wear too.... you'd see officers and other crew dining there very often in the evening. And to eat outside during sunset.... just wonderful.....

Assuming that being served is not important, we actually though that given the large selection at the buffet and that some items are cooked to order, it might have been better than the MDR. The only possible negative is that you end up eating by yourselves and also reasonable quickly instead of having other people to talk to and dining leisurely.

DON

I'm a suite traveler. On a recent cruise by myself I ate in the buffet several nights. I became friendly with the guy working the grill, and he grilled my steak to hot, juicy perfection. Added a salad for a simple, perfect, quick and quiet dinner.

We were on the Constellation TA last month. I was presently surprised that back aft where they had the sandwich/Panini bar, in the evening they served grilled to order steak, chicken, and salmon as well as a wide variety of other foods. One night they had mussels. We had a leisurely dinner back there a couple of nights. It was much more than just pizza, pasta, yada, yada, yada. There were other stations where the regular buffet was located where they had carved whole chicken, and a carving station with beef, pork, etc.

Although I do not often have dinner in the Oceanview Cafe, but they grill fish, chicken, and steak. The fish was pretty good.

Yes but it's all overcooked and sitting for awhile in the pan. If it were fresh grilled that would be a different story. I've only experienced M class so far which isn't freshly grilled. I missed the aft station. grrrr

But it is still better than Carnival buffet I've experienced.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Yes but it's all overcooked and sitting for awhile in the pan. If it were fresh grilled that would be a different story. I've only experienced M class so far which isn't freshly grilled. I missed the aft station. grrrr

Hate the overcooked/sitting in a pan buffet, that's why I was pleasantly surprised that Celebrity seems to be getting it right for the evening buffet.

On Solstice Class ships (perhaps on all C ships, but I can only speak to Solstice Class) there is also a grill to order station with pork, chicken, fish and steak. Some nights have a theme like Caribbean or German... And keep in mind you can also go to Cafe al Bacio for dessert! Sometimes the buffet is the best option at the end of a long day!

Totally have to agree with this. Our traveling companions wanted to try the buffet for dinner because their kids are such picky eaters, and we scoffed at the idea. Then, we discovered the grill to order station! The cooks told us the fish was super fresh, as it had been caught and brought on board the same day. We ate it perfectly grilled with an herb butter and ate the remaining 2 dinners at the buffet as well.

Don't miss the desserts at Cafe al Bacio, which are free. They are far superior to any other sweets we had on board.

But it is still better than Carnival buffet I've experienced.

While we dine in the MDR most nights, there will usually be a couple of nights over a two-week cruise when we just need a simpler evening. I have had wonderful salmon on the Summit, Constellation and Eclipse. Cooked medium rare just as I requested while I visited the salad bar. A table at the rail as we watched sunset leaving Santorini was amazing. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to hear that people have had such positive experiences and it's more than just a dinner version of the lunch buffet. I think we will be checking it out after a long day in Bermuda! As much as we love the MDR and having the same waiter every night, sometimes we are trying to keep our eyes open during dinner and yawning before the salad comes! Lol

Thanks everyone. I'm happy to hear that people have had such positive experiences and it's more than just a dinner version of the lunch buffet. I think we will be checking it out after a long day in Bermuda! As much as we love the MDR and having the same waiter every night, sometimes we are trying to keep our eyes open during dinner and yawning before the salad comes! Lol

Summit did have the grill section last year towards the rear of the buffet. No problem getting one made to order while you wait.

I joke with my husband that I'll bring a couple of those battery "candles" to add some ambiance to the Oceanview at night. That's my only complaint about the buffet at night! Celebrity puts them out on the tables at the Sunset Bar; why not a few at Oceanview?