Alaska questions...

tammymacb

I've been on about 20 cruises but I've never been to Alaska. After sailing the Norwegian Fjords last summer, Alaska has been pushed up my list.

I'll be sailing Princess, BI in 2016 and am thinking AK in 2017.

I have specific questions. What departure city is better and why? I've heard of some issues sailing from Vancouver but am not quite sure what the problem is. I'm flying from Charleston, SC, so either way I'm flying but are there any departures to avoid?

I know Glacier Bay is a biggie. I've also heard Hubbard is awesome. I definitely want an inside passage (?) as the scenic cruising through the fjords was my favorite thing I've ever done on vacation.

Also, I know Princess sails several ships into AK, are any particularly better for AK cruising?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks!

I recommend a northbound cruise. The views are more spectacular as you head north.

I've been on one of the sister ships of the Grand Princess for AK, and we are taking the Coral Princess this year to AK. I think you'll be fine with any ship.

You have a few basic choices:

1. Round trip from LA, SF, Seattle and Vancouver. These go part way up the panhandle and then return to their starting port.

2. One way between Vancouver and Whittier (Anchorage). These can be combined with a land tour.

Cruises from Vancouver give more scenery, more inside passage. However, flights to Vancouver are significantly more costly most of the time. Price both, then look at options to get from Seattle to Vancouver. The train is easy...allowing you to fly into Seattle and take the train to Vancouver if that works for you.

If you want to see Glacier Bay and do an inside passage- yes- Vancouver is your best bet. I particularly like College Fjords the best- just spectacular IMO. I haven't been to Hubbard yet. The Star Princess would be my pick (but I haven't sailed Coral or Island). I had a great time on Star. All three of these ships have indoor pools, but Star has Skywalkers, which is a great place to watch the scenery go by.

Seattle is cheaper and easier. I wouldn't rule it out. Ruby does do Glacier Bay (but not the inside passage) in 2017.

San Francisco is also a great port to sail out of (if you don't mind motion). I thought the sail away, under the Golden Gate was spectacular. I particularly like the Grand because it has an indoor pool, which Ruby does not.

Based on what is on your wish list- my advice is to brave the Vancouver port. Keep in mind though- our cruise last year in June of 2015 was delayed by three hours (due to the late arrival of 200 guests), and it took a long time to get on the ship. So we never saw much of the inside passage. I've also sailed out of Vancouver when it was foggy and didn't see much either (in May of 2013). If I had to pick the ideal time to sail- it would be last week of May (we saw the most whales migrating during this time- lots of spouting- and a "Free Willy" moment where an orca breached before my eyes.)

In case you are wondering why I'm enthusiastic about the indoor pool.. Even if you don't swim- this is additional space that is climate controlled and great for eating meals in and watching the scenery.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Cruises from Vancouver give more scenery' date=' more inside passage. However, flights to Vancouver are significantly more costly most of the time. Price both, then look at options to get from Seattle to Vancouver. The train is easy...allowing you to fly into Seattle and take the train to Vancouver if that works for you.[/quote']

We booked with EZ flight thru Princess for our coming trip to Alaska. We are flying round trip from Greenville, SC to Vancouver. The cost is $143 PP to get there and $225 to get home.

We were thrilled with the price

Edited by paul929207

We booked with EZ flight thru Princess for our coming trip to Alaska. We are flying round trip from Greenville, SC to Vancouver. The cost is $143 PP to get there and $225 to get home.

That's a great price!

My choice would be to take a cruisetour, which is a 7 day northbound or southbound voyage between Whittier and Vancouver plus a pre or post voyage land tour from 4 days to 9 days. This can be booked northbound or southbound. Search cruisetours on the Princess web site for more details. We felt the Alaska interior to be well worth the trip.

You have a few basic choices:

1. Round trip from LA, SF, Seattle and Vancouver. These go part way up the panhandle and then return to their starting port.

2. One way between Vancouver and Whittier (Anchorage). These can be combined with a land tour.

Princess doesn't sail to Alaska roundtrip out of LA.

We've done 3 southbound Whittier to Vancouver cruises. The 1st one was with a 5 day pre-cruise land tour with Princess. The other 2 were DIY land tour (7 days) before cruising southbound.

I found having the 1st 2 days "at sea" to be relaxing after being on the go for several days in the interior of the state.

We were on the Island and Coral Princess for these. I would rate the Coral #1. It has not been reconfigured like the Island. The Coral has the IC, indoor pool, forward and AFT viewing areas.

Hubbard Glacier (if weather permits) is not to be missed. As is Glacier Bay NP.

We just finished a r/t out of Seattle on the Ruby - I've been posting my review on CC the past couple days.

I have my reviews from our 3 previous cruises available to you if you'd like them. Email me at beh614@gmail.com and put 'reviews' in the subject. They may give you an idea of what to expect from a land tour and what the interior of Alaska offers.

If your time and budget allows it, and you feel this will be a 'one and only' chance, I REALLY recommend including a land tour.

The Inside Passage offers some magnificent views, but we really enjoyed the opportunities to see Denali, Kenai and other areas of the Alaskan interior - it is SO different than the inside passage communities.

Whatever you decide - it will be a memorable trip to experience!

Paul - that is a great price. We are going to Alaska in August and couldn't find any good deals from Greenville so we are leaving out of Charlotte

If you love the fjords, then give some consideration to Tracy Arm Fjord.

At present, there are limited itineraries that would allow you to see BOTH glacier bay and Tracy Arm. I do not think that any of these Princess Cruises are doing the 'service stop', excursion which allows guests to board a large catamaran excursion at Tracy Arm. Itineraries that have a full day at Juneau would be enough time to take a long excursion from Juneau up to Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glaciers and back.

We chose the Coral Southbound... We will get to see Prince William Sound and College Fjord on an excursion from Whittier prior to boarding. also Hubbard Glacier (with any luck), and Glacier Bay. As well as the usual Ports of Juneau Skagway and Ketchikan.

It is hard to get everything in one Alaska cruise. So, it can be a process of priorities and elimination. For us, Tracy Arm Fjord was the one thing that we hoped for that we crossed off.

Doing a Northbound HA5 cruisetour starting Saturday on the Star Princess. Will be checking in as best I can over the next few days. Will return on June 3 from Anchorage. Leaving from Vancouver.

Doing a Northbound HA5 cruisetour starting Saturday on the Star Princess. Will be checking in as best I can over the next few days. Will return on June 3 from Anchorage. Leaving from Vancouver.

Bon Voyage!

You can always do the land tour on your own. We are spending one night in Anchorage and the driving to Talkeetna for 3 nights. Talkeetna is a great location but a bit of a drive still to Denali.

The reason Princess sails from Vancouver to Alaska is because one way trips between US ports are illegal. So if you want more ports and more sights you need to sail out of Vancouver (northbound) or Anchorage (Whittier) southbound. Flights to Vancouver are more expensive. You need to weigh this against costs to get from Seattle to Vancouver. We generally fly into Seattle and get a rental car for around $50 to Vancouver. Stay a few days and then cruise to Alaska.

If you are only doing one Alaska trip we highly recommend doing a cruise-tour. This adds 3-6 days in Alaska. Booking early can be pretty expensive for this so booking around 4 months out can be a good deal.

We prefer Island or Coral. They are a bit smaller and have an indoor swimming pool with well-padded loungers. You can sit there and watch the scenery go by in shorts. Step outside for photos.

I would also recommend a northbound trip out of Vancouver with a land trip added if at all possible. We sailed on May 11 from Vancouver and just returned from a flight out of Fairbanks. We flew from the east coast too and felt like the cruise first gave us the time we needed to leisurely recoup from the long flight and adjust to the time change without worrying about jumping into land excursions right away. And, as others have mentioned, we loved that the scenery along the route just became increasingly more spectacular the further north we traveled! College Fjord was just incredible as was Glacier Bay.

We sailed on the Island and though we'd read some negative reviews about her, we don't have a single bad thing to say about her. Our trip was fantastic...no way it could have been better!!!