Where to stay in Sydney?

johnmik1

We will be on Noordam sailing from Sydney and have had no luck on the ports boards as to where it is best to stay.We will arrive on a Wednesday night and sail on Saturday afternoon.We are not huge museum or church tourists but enjoy HOHO buses and like walking.Can anyone suggest an appropriate area of Sydney to get around and enjoy the local flavor?Thanks for any suggestions.

We will be on Noordam sailing from Sydney and have had no luck on the ports boards as to where it is best to stay.We will arrive on a Wednesday night and sail on Saturday afternoon.We are not huge museum or church tourists but enjoy HOHO buses and like walking.Can anyone suggest an appropriate area of Sydney to get around and enjoy the local flavor?Thanks for any suggestions.

I usually check trip adviser to get a ranking and reviews. It's not a bad place to start for a lot of things pertaining to a given location.

I imagine you will want to stay in the thick of things so you can have leisurely access to everything either on hoho or on foot. Because DD's father lives in Australia we have been a few times and always stay in Sydney at least a couple of days each trip. I can tell you that the hotel prices will be understandably steep in and around Sydney Harbour (CBD) However, there are booking apps and sites that can help you find reasonable prices in accessible locations. I'm sure you've learned a lot of this in your searches but here's what I suggest. Any hotel in CBD (central business district) will be pricey but if you plug in that area to the booking apps or sites you use, you may get some flash deals for your time there. Booking app deals tend to be non-refundable so you want to be sure. I use booking.com and tripadvisor. They both show lots of options though booking.com is easier to sort for areas. Tripadvisor shows you the rate they get you and show the comparison rates from travelocity, booking.com, Expedia, direct booking and so on. Very good. I have never had any problems booking suggestions from tripadvisor. Transit is very good in Sydney so getting around is a pleasant adventure. And the HOHO is great too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by chefestelle

We've stayed at The Four Seasons right beside Circular Quay. Very convenient location. Short walk to The Opera House and the Ferries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have stayed in the Park Royal Darling Harbour, the price was reasonable and not too far away from bus line. We stayed at the Four Seasons to, but it is pricey but very nice.

We stayed slightly up from Circular Quay but a block from the metro train stop, 2 stops form the Quay so 10 minutes total. We were there for a week and purchased a pass for all the transit options, $60 a week - metro train, tram, bus, and all the ferries. We wanted a room with a micro and frig and found a great room at a great price by using the booking dot com system and searching on the map feature for hotels and prices.

If you want something in the Central Business District it will be lot more money but very convenient and for only 3 nights you might want to spring for the extra cost. Sydney has tons of options all budgets and variety of amenities. It is very easy to get around and great variety of things to enjoy. We went to the Rocks multiple times, the Opera House for a tour and performance, enjoyed many ferry rides all over the harbor, took the train out to the Blue Mountains for a day trip and we found our location easy for all and more economical at Central Railway Hotel... booking dot com suggested this as an alternative when we booked a hotel that was then going to be under renovations... it turned out to be excellent for us but may not be what you are looking for. Happy planning, m--

We like the Menzies, an older but well kept hotel downtown, they have a nice pool etc. lots of shops and restaurants around the corner, and still only 15 minutes walk from the rocks, harbor etc.

A great hotel is the Lord Nelson in the Rocks area of Sydney. It's the oldest hotel in Sydney, has its own brewery and fabulous pub, plus an upscale restaurant on the 2nd floor. There's no elevator to the 3rd and 4th floor rooms (choose a 4th floor room for quiet), but they gladly hoof your luggage up and down. It's right in the middle of the Rocks, so an easy walk to Circular Quay, the Opera House, etc.

We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Edited by SabreSailor
typo

We have stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay, and The Russell Hotel (an interesting boutique hotel) in The Rocks. Both were very nice and probably not too bad price-wise with the current dollar exchange.

The ferry to Manly Beach is a nice day tour, take the light rail to the Fish Market in Sydney for lunch, and see if the Opera House has a venue. We enjoyed listening to the Sydney Orchestra one evening.

We have stayed at the Marriott Circular Quay, and The Russell Hotel (an interesting boutique hotel) in The Rocks. Both were very nice and probably not too bad price-wise with the current dollar exchange.

We just book our room for next March at The Russell Hotel. It is within walking distance to the Overseas Passenger Terminal. I researched for weeks and narrowed my choices down to The Russell or the Holiday Inn. I chose the Russell for it's character, charm, price, and it included a continental breakfast. They also allow cancellations up to 24 hours prior to arrival. It ranked #39 out of 179 on Trip Advisor, the day I looked it up.

If you choose The Russell, make sure you pay attention to what room you would like. Some share a bathroom. Others have an en-suite. Also, some say they do hear some noise from the Pub downstairs. Others hear nothing. Research the cruise boards for more info. I think there were some links posted above. Good luck and Happy Cruising! :)

We were just there in January and stayed at the Menzies pre cruise and stayed at a Best western post cruise. Both were. Very convenient to public transport and for walking. If choosing one , I would pick the Menzies. We had 5 nights in Sydney and loved the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We just book our room for next March at The Russell Hotel. It is within walking distance to the Overseas Passenger Terminal. I researched for weeks and narrowed my choices down to The Russell or the Holiday Inn. I chose the Russell for it's character, charm, price, and it included a continental breakfast. They also allow cancellations up to 24 hours prior to arrival. It ranked #39 out of 179 on Trip Advisor, the day I looked it up.

If you choose The Russell, make sure you pay attention to what room you would like. Some share a bathroom. Others have an en-suite. Also, some say they do hear some noise from the Pub downstairs. Others hear nothing. Research the cruise boards for more info. I think there were some links posted above. Good luck and Happy Cruising! :)

Another item about The Russell is that reception is on the second floor, above the pub, and there isn't an elevator. The first time we stayed there, our room was on the street side. There was some street noise but nothing that prevented us from sleeping. The second time we were up one additional floor and had a nice roof-top patio. There are also a number of nice restaurants just up the street.

If you are a coffee drinker ask for a "Flat White." We have a Kiwi restaurant in VA that serves it and drinking one always brings back fond memories.

We stayed at the Radisson Hotel and Suites on Liverpool street. This hotel is on the edge of China Town. It is a block from the bus stops. It also is two blocks from a complete shopping center and close to many sidewalk restaurants. Many of the rooms have a small but complete kitchen. Our room had a balcony. A wonderful place to stay.

There are several threads discussing hotels in Sydney on the Australia boards, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77

and here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

I had no problem finding them.

And neither did I, as I did read all those boards.If you would have read my original inquiry,I was asking about an area of the city,not a discussion of specific hotels!Thanks for your imput.

We stay at the Sir Stamford Circular Quay. It is across the street from the Botanical Gardens and a quick walk (less than 10 minutes) to circular quay which is where you will find access to the opera house, the Rocks area, the harbour bridge, water taxis, shops and restaurants.

We have stayed in the Rocks, Circular Quay, and Potts Point.

We liked them all for different reasons. Sydney transpo is very good.

If the weather is good, consider a day trip via train to the Blue Hills, then jump on a HOHO.

Enjoy, it is one of our favourite cities.

We stay at the Sir Stamford Circular Quay. It is across the street from the Botanical Gardens and a quick walk (less than 10 minutes) to circular quay which is where you will find access to the opera house, the Rocks area, the harbour bridge, water taxis, shops and restaurants.

We stayed here too and highly recommend it. It is an easy walk to The Rocks and the Opera House areas. Plus it is a wonderfully old style hotel that is very comfortable.

As an Aussie who visits Sydney fairly regularly I'd also recommend the Rocks or Darling Harbour areas as the best for general interest wandering around. Also provides easy access to the ferries at Circular Quay to get to other scenic areas in. Syndey

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app