Pregnancy friendly spa services

I booked a Swedish massage before finding out I was pregnant so called up RC and they said they didn't know if the massage therapists were certified for prenatal massages but to go to the spa desk when we board to talk to them.

Let's assume that a massage is a no go... besides facials, what other services do you think would be pregnancy safe?

Definitely check beforehand, I found out while pregnant that it's not always the services but the oils they use that's a no go and I would be very suspect the ship staff have enough experience of pre natal treatments to be sure.

There was another recent thread about just this. You may want to search for that. The bottom line, if I remember correctly, is that they won't touch you in the spa if they know of your pregnancy. Personally I would ask my OB and go with their advice, which sounded like skip it all together.

BTW, congrats!

There was another recent thread about just this. You may want to search for that. The bottom line, if I remember correctly, is that they won't touch you in the spa if they know of your pregnancy. Personally I would ask my OB and go with their advice, which sounded like skip it all together.

BTW, congrats!

I found it as I remembered it too. It is started by the OP.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2351223

I know about asking the doctor, but the doctor doesn't exactly know what spa services are available on cruises. And recommended prenatal massage therapist if I get the massage, which like I said, we don't know if they have. Can't really find much in the way of spa menus online for Anthem, especially with details on what it involves.

I know about asking the doctor, but the doctor doesn't exactly know what spa services are available on cruises. And recommended prenatal massage therapist if I get the massage, which like I said, we don't know if they have. Can't really find much in the way of spa menus online for Anthem, especially with details on what it involves.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49625989&highlight=spa#post49625989

Scroll down to post #58 for the SPA MENU. NOW.....please go ask your Doctor instead of a bunch of on-line strangers as we have all suggested the last time you posted this. We are talking about an unborn baby. ps....I am an RN.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49625989&highlight=spa#post49625989

Scroll down to post #58 for the SPA MENU. NOW.....please go ask your Doctor instead of a bunch of on-line strangers as we have all suggested the last time you posted this. We are talking about an unborn baby. ps....I am an RN.

Wow, sounds like it is time for a remedial course in bedside manner.

Wow, sounds like it is time for a remedial course in bedside manner.

:confused::confused: Really? Sorry, but the OP has asked this before. I would never give my opinion on this. It is a question for her Doctor and her Doctor alone. If that sounds mean, then I am sorry, but medical advice should not be asked on a cruise line blog. Sorry if that upsets you.

... And recommended prenatal massage therapist if I get the massage, which like I said, we don't know if they have...

Semantics maybe, but there is no way you will have access to a "prenatal massage therapist" on board a cruise ship. They are not therapists at all, but massage technicians, if you will. And honestly, they may decline you as a client when you tell them you are pregnant.

Bottom line: what does your doctor say?

If that sounds mean, then I am sorry, but medical advice should not be asked on a cruise line blog....

Medical questions and advice are asked here all the time - it's just the way it is.

Semantics maybe, but there is no way you will have access to a "prenatal massage therapist" on board a cruise ship. They are not therapists at all, but massage technicians, if you will. And honestly, they may decline you as a client when you tell them you are pregnant.

Bottom line: what does your doctor say?

Medical questions and advice are asked here all the time - it's just the way it is.

Yes, I guess you are right...but this is an unborn baby we are talking about and it seems getting a massage is more important. It just upsets me greatly...bowing out with my opinion. I am being viewed as "mean", but the Grandmother and nurse is coming out...It is really because I care. :(

Yes, I guess you are right...but this is an unborn baby we are talking about and it seems getting a massage is more important. It just upsets me greatly...bowing out with my opinion. I am being viewed as "mean", but the Grandmother and nurse is coming out...It is really because I care. :(

Don't feel bad. I totally get where you are coming from. There are so many things that are harmful while pregnant I agree that asking here is not the best idea. And given that they did ask the exact same question already.

Actually I didn't ask the question before, I asked specifically about massages last time and now I am asking about spa services in general. I can't exactly go to the doctor with a spa list and tell her to pick ones I can or can't get. Especially since the descriptions of some of the services are little to none. Like I had to dig around to find out what a "spa ritual" was.

Sorry I asked.

Yes, I guess you are right...but this is an unborn baby we are talking about...

Of course, but I just meant that medical advice is asked here often, whether it is right or not to ask here. There are some qualified physicians and nurses here (such as yourself) and they sometimes respond, but obviously it comes down to patient and doctor... and in this case baby too. :)

I asked specifically about massages last time and now I am asking about spa services in general....

I think you'll have to ask once you get on board. Tell them you are pregnant and ask what is available to you. But I mean, your own doctor may not even want you to wear nail polish, right? So it's between you and him/her, first and foremost. :)

it really does not matter. chances are the salon and spa WILL NOT ACCEPT YOU for any services whatsoever.

I have an Ingestion only allergy to selfish and they would NOT let me do a wrap that contained iodine/shellfish residue

100% agree with you. If I was in the OPS position I would skip the spa this cruise but they seem set on going for whatever they can. Unfortunately only they can decide what they are comfortable with. Not sure why I am even responding other than to give you support.

The age we live in now scares me when people rely on a anonymous message board over their doctor and/or common sense. [emoji6]

I am assuming you will be less than 24 weeks pregnant on this cruise, since that is the limit the cruise line puts on pregnancy, and at that point in the pregnancy normal massages are totally OK. If you are healthy enough for cruising you are healthy enough for a massage.

Of course, there may be some positioning issues, but that is easily remedied, ei if it's uncomfortable on your stomach, don't lie down on your stomach. Also, if it becomes uncomfortable in any way, tell the masseuse to go softer or move her focus or stop altogether. Easy to do. :)

I am speaking from 35+ years as a midwife and I have never had a woman suffer any damage or complications from a simple, normal massage. Certainly checking with your midwife or OB would be best, but I would never restrict one of my patients from having a massage on a cruise at less than 6 months pregnant and no pregnancy complications.

People who are making it sound like you are some kind of a criminal or horrible mother to even think of "indulging" in a massage are showing their ignorance of the process of pregnancy, turn a deaf ear and have a wonderful cruise. :D

Can I just reiterate that a massage may be OK but the contents of the oils may not be. Please do a search or ask you pre natal carers which oils are safe for pregnant women and which are not, the info is readily out there.

I am assuming you will be less than 24 weeks pregnant on this cruise, since that is the limit the cruise line puts on pregnancy, and at that point in the pregnancy normal massages are totally OK. If you are healthy enough for cruising you are healthy enough for a massage.

Of course, there may be some positioning issues, but that is easily remedied, ei if it's uncomfortable on your stomach, don't lie down on your stomach. Also, if it becomes uncomfortable in any way, tell the masseuse to go softer or move her focus or stop altogether. Easy to do. :)

I am speaking from 35+ years as a midwife and I have never had a woman suffer any damage or complications from a simple, normal massage. Certainly checking with your midwife or OB would be best, but I would never restrict one of my patients from having a massage on a cruise at less than 6 months pregnant and no pregnancy complications.

People who are making it sound like you are some kind of a criminal or horrible mother to even think of "indulging" in a massage are showing their ignorance of the process of pregnancy, turn a deaf ear and have a wonderful cruise. :D

Thank you :) Yes, I will only be 9 weeks, so very early in my pregnancy.

In this article it states that being massaged in certain parts of your body and certain oils can trigger uterine contractions. Hence why so many say please do not take advice from anyone here on this topic. If you get a massage it should be by someone trained in pregnancy. No good doctor or nurse would tell someone over the internet that something is ok to do without having personal knowledge of your situation.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/looking-good/pampered-parts/spa-treatments/massages.aspx